MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #16
clouser
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Cody

We used to have a similar setup back when we made and smoked our own deer sausage. We'd usually make 300-600 links depending on how many deer we shot that year.
clouser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #17
creek bottom
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoen View Post
Here in central Georgia average summer high temps mid-90's, avg summer lows mid 70's, humidity 30-85%.
I guess it would just depend on what you were smoking. If it's something like hams or bacon, it would be cured and it would be fine. Just raw meat without cure may be an issue. Like I said in my first post, I've wanted one to do cheese and cured meats, so temps wouldn't be a huge problem for me.

A1 Competition Smoker; Meadow Creek 96; Oklahoma Joe's Bronco (gone but not forgotten); Weber 26" & 22" Kettles; Camp Chef XXL Pellet Smoker; Blackstone 22" Portable; Weber 300 Series Gasser; Masterbuilt 30" Electric Cabinet
creek bottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #18
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

How do those of you who have a smokehouse deal with spiders and other assorted fauna from camping out. I have the time, skills, tools and inclination to build one but keep talking myself out of it for two reasons: winter only use and bugs. The winter only question has pretty much been answered, now please help me out with the other question that is bugging** me.

** I couldn't help myself.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #19
creek bottom
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joe

Fire it up before you put anything inside. The smoke should rid any rodents or bugs right out of there... I planned on keeping any rods and racks stored inside, not in the smokehouse, so that eliminates any contamination prior to using them.

A1 Competition Smoker; Meadow Creek 96; Oklahoma Joe's Bronco (gone but not forgotten); Weber 26" & 22" Kettles; Camp Chef XXL Pellet Smoker; Blackstone 22" Portable; Weber 300 Series Gasser; Masterbuilt 30" Electric Cabinet
creek bottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #20
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
Every time I see one of those I think of a heated outhouse.

Our place in the mountains when I was a kid had a two holer but no heat other than a Coleman lantern.
I can think of a lot worse things than a heated outhouse.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #21
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoen View Post
How do those of you who have a smokehouse deal with spiders and other assorted fauna from camping out. I have the time, skills, tools and inclination to build one but keep talking myself out of it for two reasons: winter only use and bugs. The winter only question has pretty much been answered, now please help me out with the other question that is bugging** me.

** I couldn't help myself.
Bugs don't seem to like the aroma of my smokehouse. It's definitely absorbed a ton of smoke over the years. Every once in awhile, I'll get a wasp in through the chimney.
My smokehouse is 13 or so years old. Before building it, I used the barrel and trench method.

I use mine year round. When smoking during hot summer months, I place ice trays beneath certain items to keep the smoke cool...
I never temp the meats, etc. I only monitor the temp of the smokehouse.

You really need one Bruce!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #22
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
In all things cool - or cold-smoked - cowgirl's got it covered...

https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com...mokehouse.html
Thank you Greg! I've used the heck out of it over the years.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #23
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Thanks Jeanie an Joe,

I may have to go for it. Next problem, get to the procrastinated honey do's, if I just show up one day with a load of cinderblock and a stack of cedar 1X12s there could be trouble.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #24
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My Great Grandparents had a smokehouse.It is still standing.I guess I should refurbish it.It is in need of much repair.I cannot decide if I should repair it or leave it as is.It is no longer used,which I hope to change soon.I own the property now.If left in current state it will not last many more years but if I rebuild it,it will not be the same-Undecided.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2020, 01:05 AM   #25
Chett. L
is one Smokin' Farker

Can someone explain, what is cold smoking?

Old 10-23-2020, 05:30 AM   #26
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Just what it sounds like, applying smoke without heat. Smoking but not cooking. Think cheese, you want it smokey but not melted. Or in the case of jerky, you are smoking and dehydrating but not cooking.