Has anyone smoked duck before?

Allanakim

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hiya,

I have some duck breasts, I want like to smoke, does anyone have any tips, I really dont want to end up with a rubbery texture! Also any suggestions for marinades would be awesome too!

I used to smoke them often while my old hunting pals were still with us, best results were leaving them in halves and maintaining close to 300*f until the thigh was done. They take on lot's of smoke in the first 20 minutes or so in a stick burner.

I seasoned them with allspice, poultry rub with sage and some sea salt with a dash of EVO.

I take them hot out of the smoker right into vac seal bags then into the freezer to get the juices cold then shrink them right away and freeze to preserve moisture they were delicious when reheated.

Sometimes I'd skip the freezer after vac sealing and hold them in the fridge for a few days if we were having some, they never were the same held in tupperware or press seal bags.

I always use this recipe and it is ALWAYS a winner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDiCl3uHztU

I dry brine them for up to 4 hours, then thoroughly rinse them, pat them dry and put them on a rack in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

Smoke them on the kettle with some fruit wood, I start fat side down above the coals for a few minutes, some charring is ok, then fat side up indirect until preferred IT. Let them rest for 10mins and ATTACK.

Has anyone done a duck using the rotisserie on their weber kettle? Have had a duck in my freezer for a month now and want to cook this sucker.

Has anyone done a duck using the rotisserie on their weber kettle? Have had a duck in my freezer for a month now and want to cook this sucker.

Curious about this myself as I am in the same situation.
It appears that the brine and slitting the skin are crucial steps to a good duck.

One of our local joints makes a duck breast bacon BLT....wow.

Waiting on my buddy to kill a few this season and i will be trying to replicate a bacon. Im guessing dry brine and a low temp smoke with cherry or apple ought to do the trick.

I smoked a whole duck on my offset pretty closely following Malcolm Reed's method in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN3HWAIHPhQ&t=228s

I didn't actually brine it (since I brined a Turkey for the same cook and I just didn't have the space to do both). Turned out great. Best advice I can give based on my cook and word of mouth is you want to cook at a higher heat than usual to render all the fat, otherwise you're left with a rubbery texture.

I used to smoke them often while my old hunting pals were still with us, best results were leaving them in halves and maintaining close to 300*f until the thigh was done. They take on lot's of smoke in the first 20 minutes or so in a stick burner.

I seasoned them with allspice, poultry rub with sage and some sea salt with a dash of EVO.

I take them hot out of the smoker right into vac seal bags then into the freezer to get the juices cold then shrink them right away and freeze to preserve moisture they were delicious when reheated.

Sometimes I'd skip the freezer after vac sealing and hold them in the fridge for a few days if we were having some, they never were the same held in tupperware or press seal bags.

The vac seal is such a good idea! I find it so hard to keep them juicy and that sounds like the perfect method!! I ended up doing this chipotle cherry rub, it was delicious but I think Ill give your tips a good next time!!
https://www.simplymeatsmoking.com/recipe/chipotle-cherry-smoked-duck/

Back