What type of wood is this?

frayedend

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Okay so I have identified a lot of birch on my property. I was looking for hickory but I don't think I've had any luck. The only strange thing is I found 3 different trees with just about the same leaves but significantly different bark. The birch is easily identified with horizontal striations. But another one I was hoping was shagbark hickory has the same leaves as the birch. Any idea what this tree is? Yet a third tree had the same leaves but super smooth bark.

The shaggy bark...

PBlO4wo.jpg

The leaves

uB7bfWi.jpg

The smooth with the leaves...

1k9H9GR.jpg

The yellow birch with some leaves in the pic...

lRPlh7A.jpg

The top couple of pictures looks to me to be a shagbark Hickory.

The leaves look like american elm. Around here we call it piss elm because of the smell when you cut it. Can get huge and then all of a sudden die from dutch elm disease. If the wood is white with a small dark core than my guess is you are right.

Top pic - can't tell for sure from the bark. If you are sure that those leaves actually go with that trunk (and not a nearby tree), then I agree that American elm is a good possibility. Otherwise, just based on the bark, it might also be shagbark hickory or red maple.

The small tree with the smooth bark is American beech.

You are correct about the yellow birch.

Thanks. I am positive the leaves go with the tree. So elm. Bummer I have no hickory on my land. But I have plenty of oak and sugar maple. I’ll survive.

Thanks. I am positive the leaves go with the tree. So elm. Bummer I have no hickory on my land. But I have plenty of oak and sugar maple. I’ll survive.

Both of which make great wood for cooking/smoking. You can also use beech and birch. Beech cooks similar to oak. I've never cooked with birch, but I've burned it in my wood stove. It produces a little less heat than oak, but is still a good solid hardwood, and it produces no objectionable odors.

Back