Smoked Beef Heart

farmer-fred

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Yesterday I was in my local Lowes and bought two bags of Cowboy Lump. When I went back to the window and door area a associate asked me what was smoking. I told him I would be smoking a couple of chicken's in My trail Embers Smoker this weekend. We started talking and He was telling me about smoking Beef Heart. He cooks it low and slow around 200 deg and said it is very delicious. Any body ever try it? When I was a kid growing up and we butchered our own beef my mom used to make pickled heart and tongue and we really liked it as it was a treat for us. If you have cooked it how did you do it?

I've grilled a lot of it, but don't remember doing a long low and slow cook with it. Would probably be good though.

I would imagine it would be a very tough cut smoked... there is zero fat on it and a ton of ventricles/tissue that is better off trimmed. Once trimmed you can get a pretty decent sized piece (the main chamber) and a couple smaller ones. I've grilled with them (thinner cut, high heat to just about medium turned out best) and have had a pretty solid pastrami made from it- again not the best though because of the lack of fat. JMO better off making anticuchos on an open fire though I'd love to see the results.

Never eaten heart except for chicken, Fatback joe has added some beef heart posts, maybe search or pm him
Very interested in your end recipe

Thanks all. I will check out Cowgirls blog and do some research before I try it. I think I will see if I can find that Lowe's associate and quiz him some more on how he prepped and seasoned his.

Back