• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Quantity of Smoke on a Vertical

MilhouseBBQ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
New rookie here, did a lot of reading here prior to my purchase, and learned what I want next! I look forward to spending a lot of time here. I ended up getting a Pit boss Pro Series from a big box retailer, who put it together for me (free assembly why not), but a bit concerned based on some issues that's part of a longer story.

So the settings on this have "smoke" and then temp goes up from there. On the smoke setting, bam, its like a cigar tent, but when I got the temp on, it doesn't seem like its producing a lot of smoke, or maybe its enough and I'm just too green to realize? I've seen friends use their units and when they open it you get hit with a waft of smoke, not me, I got heat but not a lot of smoke, and I don't see a lot smoke through the unit's window, am I expecting too much visually?

On clean up, any tips to simplify this a bit? Did some chicken 1/4s the water pan which like a catch all for the grease and my spritz was terrible to clean, as were the grates. Do you guys just get your grill brush on and scrub them down, the burn off didn't seem like it did much (which is where I baked on the drippings in my pan... yeah i know rookie).

Thanks fellas!

I do not have a pellet smoker. But have read much here about them.
You can do searches as there is pages and pages of reading.
From what I know, pellet at 170* or there about. The smoke setting is where you will see the most smoke.
All pellet brands are different as are the pellet smokers. That seems to be a common thing talked about.
You should only get puffs of smoke as the auger adds pellets to keep temps. If that makes sense.
Here is just some reading for you.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262510

Anyway, welcome aboard!
Depending on where around Detroit you are. You can stop by and we can talk about smokers etc.
I sent you a PM.

When a fire stops flaming, it begins to smolder. At this point, combustion stops occurring in the flame, and begins occurring on the surface of the wood/charcoal. Less oxygen is required of the fire at this point. As long as there is enough oxygen and fuel being converted to heat, then this an ideal cooking heat source as the fire will be burning very clean.

You don't need a big piece of wood to get a good smoke, in fact, when it comes to making "thin blue smoke", bigger is NOT necessarily better. The key is to have small amounts of wood burn efficiently, so you get the sweet smoke flavor, and not a bitter, over-smoked flavor.

Sweet blue smoke is almost invisible to the eye, but it can be seen if you get the right angle of light on it. It's very thin, and wispy, and almost invisible.

follow your nose rather than your eyes. If you smell wood smoke, leave it alone, the best smoke is smelled, not seen.

They burn very clean the higher the temps, I normally run on smoke for several hours depending on what I'm cooking before I crank the temps up. You can throw your grates onto the gas grill and run the temps up then brush them, throwing them in the dishwasher can cause problems with the dishwasher if you have very much trash on them.

Back