Rainy Day Fattys #12 & 35 (&36)

BuffettFan

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Between work, the weather, trying to keep up with the grass, my "Fun" cooking has been suffering.
Went through the freezer and found a few things needing cleaned out.
Found (2) 1# packages of Italian sausage and one pound of unseasoned ground pork.
I had thought of one big Fatty, but then remembered the fate of "The $50 Fatty" and settled on a smaller scale.
I whipped up a season blend for the ground pork for breakfast sausage, tried a sample patty. Not bad, but could be better.
Formed up the fatty and coated with Plowboy's Yardbird.
Flattened out the Italian sausage and added mushrooms, provolone cheese, and a bit of extra Italian seasoning.

Last edited:
Somehow, I missed getting a pic with the Provolone.
Got a chimney full of coals going and had a few chunks of pecan left, so dumped them on the fire.
Remembering the big fatty falling apart, and since these were fairly loose, I decided to use the bottom side of the Grill Grates to cook them on.

Last edited:
Got them going, inserted the temp probes and did some more yard work between the rain drops. Just enough rain to keep things damp and humid. :mmph:

Last edited:
The plan was to slice one of the Italians and serve over pasta and sauce.
We ended up sampling the whole thing and forgetting about the pasta and sauce!
luckily I made 2. We'll have the other tonight over cheese tortellini.
It was great to get to do some fun cooking again!

Last edited:
Those are some mighty fine looking fatties. What spice blend did you use for the breakfast sausage?

Those are some mighty fine looking fatties. What spice blend did you use for the breakfast sausage?

Thanks Erik!

The breakfast sausage recipe was from allrecipes.com

1 teaspoon dry sage
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram (I substituted oregano)
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
a pinch of ground clove
1 lb ground pork

It wasn't bad, probably would have been better if I had time to let it sit overnight.
Haven't tried it smoked yet, I'm sure the Plowboy's and pecan smoke helped a lot.

Terry

Rainy Day Fattys #12 & 35 (&36)

Now those do look good. Eat up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

that looks great cooking on the grill grates can increase your cooking tem as they are supposed to get hotter than the grill

Yes, my mouth is watering and those are some great fatty's. I loved the spice mixture and will try it, although will probably use less red pepper, wife doesnt like hot spice. Keep smoking!!

that looks great cooking on the grill grates can increase your cooking tem as they are supposed to get hotter than the grill

Thanks George, You are correct about the grates being hotter than the kettle grate.
I didn't monitor the temp inside the kettle, but the fatties have/had a nice crust on the bottom.
I think if I'm able to babysit them next time, I'll roll them around a little to get more of that crustalisiousness on them.
I definitely recommend using the backside of the grates, it worked well.
Terry

Back