moldy wood

SMOKE FREAK

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Was digging into my Hickory stash last week and found that some of it (maybe a dozen splits) is totally covered with a grey powder that I assume is some kinda mold...

Brushed off the dust from one split and burned it...No off odors that I noticed...

My question is how can I clean it up so that I'm comfortable with cooking with it?

as long as it is not wet soft I would use it and will burn off instantly and a pic might help too .

not wet or soft...Just coated with grey powder...Burned just like normal...I just don't like the idea of burning mold to cook my meat...

Maybe a pic tomorrow...

I dont have a stick burner, but i would just give my opinion, if you dont notice a off oder or flavor, the heat comming off those splits are so hot its going to kill anything nasty you would be worried about. But if you notice a bad tastem then i would say toss. But you said you havent?

cut a split in half and see what is on the inside but bet it is just over seasoned .and will be fine .

cut a split in half and see what is on the inside but bet it is just over seasoned .and will be fine .

Inside is fine...Wood is solid...
When I take a split and thump it on it's end on the concrete grey dust falls off and covers the sidewalk...

it might be all the pollen that settled on it and turned grey too , pollen dust has been high here and is on my truck .

Lay them out in the driveway and hit the sides with a torch or weed burner for a few seconds just to burn it off.

Back