MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Default WSM vs PBC

This is a thread to debate which cooker is better, the WSM or PBC. I hope this can be a serious thread about the advantages/disadvantages of each cooker. It's important to note that I personally am grateful for the PBC as it has popularized a new way of cooking and many are grateful for that. That said, I believe the WSM can do everything the PBC can do, and do it better. Why bother to discuss this? Because the PBC craze seems out of hand (jokingly).

To start...

PBC:

I can't think of one thing a PBC can do over a WSM. Someone please fill me in. The only thing I can come up with is you can probably cook uncovered in a rain storm with it.

WSM:

Can hang meat, and wonderfully smoke meat.
Temp is easier to adjust.
You can turn it off.
Access to coals is much easier.
Cleanup is easier.
It's more portable.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

I think you hit it on the head. The WSM is a more advanced cooker that is better in most ways. Some people just hate name brand store bought stuff and do not like to buy retail.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

To each, his/her own.

I see no reason to buy a PBC instead of a WSM, especially when used WSMs can be had for $50 on CL.

Hanging meat over heat makes no difference, and even if it did, it can be hung on the WSM. If it's fat dripping on coals you want, remove the water pan in the WSM.

I just put a picnic on the WSM. I can cook it anywhere from 220-350. Set it and forget it.

To me, the PBC is a downsized UDS/repackaged WSM using the novelty of hanging meat and horseshoes as selling points.

Last edited by charrederhead; 10-14-2013 at 09:20 AM..
charrederhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
Why bother to discuss this? Because the PBC craze seems out of hand (jokingly).
It seems that the "PBC Craze" has pretty much settled down to me.

They are both good cookers and each has it's place. The best chicken I have cooked has come out of the PBC.

But, to your pro WSM points...

Quote:

WSM:

You can hang meat in a PBC, or use the grate.
The whole concept of the PBC is to not have to adjust it.
You can turn it off.
You can "turn off" a PBC, too. just slap a magnetic sheet over the intake.
The PBC concept is simplicity. I have never needed to access the charcoal. I also don't need to access the charcoal in my WSM.
Cleanup is easier.
That depends. With the PBC you just have to dump the ash. With a WSM, if you use the water pan you also have greasy water to deal with. If you use some other diffuser (foiled water pan, sand, clay saucer) then you have that grease to dispose of.
It's more portable.
Again, it depends on your perspective. With the WSM you have three pieces plus grates, charcoal ring, etc. to move around. With the PBC it's one piece plus grate, basket and rods.

I'm not pro PBC or pro WSM. I have both cookers and use both. They both have a place in my yard.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
SPRfree
Take a breath!

Quote:
This is a thread to debate which cooker is better, the WSM or PBC. I hope this can be a serious thread about the advantages/disadvantages of each cooker. It's important to note that I personally am grateful for the PBC as it has popularized a new way of cooking and many are grateful for that. That said, I believe the WSM can do everything the PBC can do, and do it better. Why bother to discuss this? Because the PBC craze seems out of hand (jokingly).

To start...

PBC:

I can't think of one thing a PBC can do over a WSM. Someone please fill me in. The only thing I can come up with is you can probably cook uncovered in a rain storm with it.

WSM:

You can turn it off.
Cleanup is easier.
It's more portable.
I disagree with the following -

1. hang meat only if you make your own mods or buy an after market attachment.
2. Temp is easier to adjust - you don't have to adjust PBC temps can't get easier then that.
3. Access to coals is easier - If you are hanging meat in the PBC adding coals is as easy as lifting the lid. If you are using the grate then a hinged grate is a simple change.
4. Clean up is easier - If you use the WSM with the water pan as intended it is a PIA. If you go without the water the clean up is the same IMHO.
5. Its more portable - I don't see how as the PBC in not heavier, larger or awkward to move at all.
SPRfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
jeffh
Got Wood.

I do not own a WSM, but I chose the PBC for the main reasons:

1. Set it and forget it.
2. Easy clean up.
3. Get to support a small business.
4. Awesome customer service (seriously, the owners cell phone is on the product.)
5. Coolness factor is through the roof!

All that being said, I think a big part of this hobby for me is collecting and using different cookers (I plan to later purchase a WSM, BGE, Trager, etc.)

Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Although I've never used a PBC, I would say you're better off with a WSM--you can pull the water pan out, and cook on the top grate, and have it be similar to the PBC. Or, you can buy or make an insert to use to hang your food. And, you will still have the ability to use the WSM like normal with the water pan

Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

I have both. I like both. Good food is turned out on both (at least according to my family ). That's all that matters to me. There are things I like a little better about the wsm, and conversely there are things I like better about the pbc. Worrying about which is a better cooker is like splitting hairs imho. Use what makes sense to you. Nothing else matters.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Until a week ago, I owned a WSM 22.5" that I loved (did not get rid of it because of any shortcomings that the WSM might have). I have never had a PBC, but I really like the simplicity of it. I have contemplated getting one, and am now considering it more as an alternative to my offset. The two big advantages of the PBC that have not been mentioned are price and very personal customer service.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
aawa
Babbling Farker

From what I have read on these forums. The PBC is a good cooker that has its place in an arsenal.

I think the debate of PBC vs WSM is the same as beating a dead horse. People that don't own a PBC don't get what the big deal is about it, and the people that do own a PBC use theirs with great results.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
foppa78
On the road to being a farker

Sorry to ask. What is a PBC?
foppa78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
Until a week ago, I owned a WSM 22.5" that I loved (did not get rid of it because of any shortcomings that the WSM might have). I have never had a PBC, but I really like the simplicity of it. I have contemplated getting one, and am now considering it more as an alternative to my offset. The two big advantages of the PBC that have not been mentioned are price and very personal customer service.

???. As mentioned above, a WSM can had on CL for $50. The reknown great Weber customer service has hundreds of testimonials on this site alone.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppa78 View Post
Sorry to ask. What is a PBC?
It's an orange as opposed to the WSM's apple.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

I have difficulty believing the WSM is more involved or harder to manage. I load the ring w/lump, I put the weedburner on it for a minute or so, I put the sections together, in 20 mins. I put the meat on.

If versatility equals more difficult to cook with, I'll side w/ difficult.