MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:51 PM   #1
bcrow
Found some matches.

Default Bandera or Brinkman

I've been researching the smokers for several months and am going to pull the triger this weekend. Had pretty much settled on the Bandera, but after reading some post on this site, noticed that folks are happy with Brinkmans.
My first judgment on the brinkmans are that they are not as well made as the Bandera.
Also, I cant find the Bandera on the Charbroil website anymore...
Plus, I live in Atlanta, home to HomeDepot, and can only find the Bandera at one HD. I have looked for them at over 15 in the area just to try and look (stare) at them. I can't even find them listed on HD's web site. Whats up with that...
I think the Brinkman is about $150 cheaper than the Bandera, but again, I dont think it as well made. I like th heaver duty feel of the bandera.

Thoughs, Sugestion, Coments, Opinons??????

PS, I'm on top of the mods listed on this site. I'll get started on them this weekend also.
bcrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2005, 10:33 PM   #2
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Welcome your questions will be answered, people here have opinions on everything. Go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2005, 10:51 PM   #3
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

I have had a Bandera for lots of years and if you find one then get it. I have never needed to go back to NB or Charbroil for anything. So if I was buying the thing I would not eliminate the Bandera even if it was the last one on earth. On the other had I would not eliminate the Brinkman just because it is not as well made as the Bandera. The lower price might be worth it to you and it might also get you into a pretty good pit sooner. I have seen the Brinkman and I bet I could cook some mighty tasty stuff in one of them. I guess this post has not helped you make up your mind. If I had to replace my Bandera today I would look for another one just like it. If I couldn't find one then I would look for a Brinkman.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2005, 05:57 AM   #4
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Both good smokers. Would not go wrong with either. Saving $ 150 is a bonus. The Bandera is the original, but the BSKD is a good clone. The USA made Bandera was better made, but after the Co. was bought, they started making them in China and the quality went down. So I would only reccomend the Bandera if it were US made, which I doubt is the case.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2005, 07:40 AM   #5
jt
Babbling Farker

What BigDog said. Either one will do a fine job for you. I have a Bandera - several on here have the BSKD. What you're buying here is capacity with an offset firebox. Both are thinner gauge metal and so won't hold temps for hours like a Klose or something like that. Both will provide you with stick burning capabilities and let you produce good Q.

$150 savings? Unless the Bandera was made in the US, I'd go with the BSKD.

JMHO

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2005, 07:55 AM   #6
bcrow
Found some matches.

Default Price is not main concern.

The bandera at HD is $298 plus $20 for someone else to put it together. I figure I will take me an hour or more to assemble and my hourly rate is a good bit higher than $20/hr.

Not too concerned about price at this level.
bcrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
jt
Babbling Farker

My opinion here, but I've always had to go back over something HD or any hardware store assembles. I would save the $20 and do it yourself. Besides, then you can bolt the baffle in as you do it rather than take it apart again later.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Living in Marietta, I also started looking for a Bandera, as it was what my buddy had. My wife and I could only find two in this area, but both were left overs and in pretty bad shape for the price they were asking!! We finally ordered the BSKD from Northern Tool in Marietta, and are impressed with this smoker. As stated above, the BSKD is pretty much exactly like the Bandera, and even the Bandera mods work perfectly with the BSKD. However both smokers have their own issues, as the Brinkmann door handle suck, and the Bandera wheels fall off. My neighbor with the Bandera is pretty impressed with my BSKD, because it comes with a thermometer, it has more racks, and the water pan slides out. As far as everything else, there are no differences accept that the BSKD is a mirror image of the Bandera. After replacing the springs on the handles, and doing the required mods, I am very pleased with my BSKD, and it adds a little security that this unit is still in production.
Noah
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2005, 11:53 AM   #9
dapittboss
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I am the proud new owner of the BSKD and so far it's worked great for me. It wasn't perfect out of the box, but with a little tweaking and a few mods it's doing great. Since I have never owned the Bandera I can't compare the two, but I'm very happy with my purchase.

Oklahoma Joe Highland Smoker
Brinkmann Trailmaster Vertical offset
35LB commercial deep fryer
dapittboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2005, 11:54 AM   #10
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
BSKD is a mirror image of the Bandera
It's a "E" Machine

Old 04-28-2005, 12:12 PM   #11
Jorge

The difference in price sure would buy a lot of meat :D

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #12
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
It's a "E" Machine
Whatchootalkinbout Willis?

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2005, 06:00 PM   #13
Solidkick

For the new brothers, let me explain the "E".

KCQuer was (I believe) first here on the board to have a BSKD. When he started talking about it being backwards to the Bandera, the extra "E" got added to his reference, thus KC cooks on the "queer", because it is backwards. You'll see several posts that refer to "E", that's a nickname given to KCQuer, for the missing "E".

Make sense??

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2005, 06:04 PM   #14
scottm4300
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Mr. Kick. Appreciate you bringing us newbies up to speed! I've seen the references a bunch of times and never asked. Too funny
Turkey/Fish Fryer
Weber Grill
Campfire Pit
Trashcan
scottm4300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2005, 06:38 PM   #15
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick
For the new brothers, let me explain the "E".

KCQuer was (I believe) first here on the board to have a BSKD. When he started talking about it being backwards to the Bandera, the extra "E" got added to his reference, thus KC cooks on the "queer", because it is backwards. You'll see several posts that refer to "E", that's a nickname given to KCQuer, for the missing "E".

Make sense??
Hmph...I always thought everyone was just calling queer in general. That's why I never joined in. Learn something new everyday...

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote