First bbq build and cook!!

firemedic

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I got the stuff together to build my UDS today after spending about a week reading what has to be the longest thread in existance.... n I did it on the cheap- got the barrel for free, used an outdoor fireplace that I had for the charcoal basket. I bought nipples, caps, valves and a new Weber grill for about $25.00. Two cans of hi-heat spray paint (which I haven't used yet- decided to break it in and cook instead :-D-$9.00. Here's some pics. This is the virgin barrel ready to be burned. It held plastic pellets going to an injection molding plant so it's clean but rusty inside.
virgin barrel.jpg

I couldn't resist the chance to add a pic of fire.....
burning!!.jpg

Post burn. Should have used less wood so the coals didn't stack up so deep. Oh well- I tacked a 5/8 inch bolt to the end of a 1/2 inch rod. I'm going to put my knotted wire brush on it and use my trusty Dewalt to clean the inside so I can properly season it after this cook and clean the paint off so I can properly paint it with the hi-temp rattle can I bought.

post burn.jpg

This used to be the center of an outdoor fireplace. I tacked the door shut and welded on some expanded metal grate and 2 inch pieces of black pipe to the bottom. I's bigger than I would like, about 18in in diameter but I'm too lazy to do something about it today. We'll see how she cooks first :twisted:
coal basket.jpg

This is my coal pile. I'm not using lump yet, I want to get this thing figured out on something a bit more stable, then I'll graduate to the big boy stuff. Those are pecan chunks in there. I actually added a few more after I took this. Hope it's enough!
charcoal pile.jpg

Oh yeah. We've already eaten the chub I cooked and there are four picnics burning as we speak.... should be ready in a couple more hours!

LOVE the charcoal basket! loks great and $36 how can you go wrong

where in Anahiem were you able to burn that - its hard for us in so cal to do a good burn out

Sweet basket!
Might want to raise it up another inch.
If you can keep the ash to a minimum, you could get a heck of a long burn on that baby! :biggrin:

Actually I'm at my parents for the weekend in Apple Valley (about 2 1/2 hours outside of Las Vegas). The basket is up about 2 inches but if raising it up a little more will be beneficial I will definitely try it! Here are the picnics I cooked today, about 8 lbs worth (before cooking)

picnics.jpg

I pulled them after this but we got to eating before I could get a pic. Thanks for all of your replies

I'm with the others I like the basket alot. Mine is about 18" and burns forever. I'm diggin that long thermo probe too!

I don't think i would raise the firebasket. I one single measurement is important on a UDS it's the 24" from grate to bottom of fire basket. I noticed one problem with your cook. It appears you are using Kingsford but you do not have the flavor grooves properly aligned!:biggrin:

I don't think i would raise the firebasket. I one single measurement is important on a UDS it's the 24" from grate to bottom of fire basket. I noticed one problem with your cook. It appears you are using Kingsford but you do not have the flavor grooves properly aligned!:biggrin:

yes I noticed the flavor grooves were not aligned too, but didn't what to point it out considering it's his first cook

but as Nocoredneck pointed out ... you need to have all the K's facing down and all the flavor grooves lined up, for best fire control and flame spread. personally I aim the grooves east to west to avail myself of the prevailing winds around here

but of course your mileage may vary

yes your fire basket is perfect , bend the four tabs down at the top to avoid injury and hanging up as you take it in and out of the drum . the 2 in pipe legs are plenty of clearance for ash accumulation below the basket, which is what some may be concerned with. and the 24 inch's that are of prime concern is from the bottom of the fire basket to the cooking grid.

on very long cooks you will need to give the drum a gentle kick to help the ash drop to the bottom as it tends to stay in the basket and choke your fire. but those of us with big baskets love the extra long cooks we can get - you will be surprised how little charcoal you need to cook the average cook - and a basket like yours will hold nearly 20 lbs of charcoal which would burn for days

Thanks for the advice on the flavor grooves.... I'll make sure I adjust next time :p. I will definitely bend 2 of the tabs on the basket down but I'm going to attatch a handle to the other 2- like a bucket- to make the basket easier to get in and out for cleaning. I also used 4 inch carriage bolts to hold the grate and after I put her together I realized that the fire basket ain't coming out with those suckers inplace so I'm going to replace them with 2 or 3 inch. Probably 2 inch if they will hold the grill. Now I'm just looking for a weber to get a kettle top and second cooking grill.....

good idea on the Handel there as long as you mention it and have four tabs you might consider two handles ( not crossing like an X) that go across from tab to tab - this makes for a very maneuverable and less rocky set up

Back