MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
ColdFyre
On the road to being a farker

Default Dissapointed in royal oak

I've been using KBB exclusivly since I started grilling/smoking and I finally checked out some Royal Oak lump.

I'd say that it was about 75% flake, 15% medium chunk and 10% large (and not fully 'cooked') chunks.

After I spent some time making sure that the small pieces didn't fall through the bottom of my 18.5 WSM and filling it up, it was lit and came up to temp just fine. But after just 4-5 hours, I was damned near out of coals. (running 250 with an IQ). My only guess is that all the little pieces burned off pretty fast.

I'm NOT planning on going back to this stuff any time soon.
ColdFyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think R.O. quality has dropped off in the past year.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Lump burns hotter and faster than bricks, if your happy with kbb stick with it its cheap.

I hate the smell of it, i love the smell of lump, so thats what i use.

in a wsm i use a 2nd fire grate turned 180 degrees, and pack it tight, that said, it still doest burn as long as bricks, but i run dry and hotter than some so i do not have any issues getting my cooks done with 1 load.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Tarpon65

I don't think I've noticed any change in the Royal Oak and I've used it exclusively for a few years but I don't have a ton of options down here. Just picked up 5 more 17.6 lb bags at Wally World on sale.
Tarpon65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
hogheavens
Got Wood.

The guys who handle it at the store probably threw it around and broke it up. I've gone through 4 bags so far and they've been great. I recently did a pork but and had enough fuel left for three more quick cooks on my acorn
hogheavens is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogheavens View Post
The guys who handle it at the store probably threw it around and broke it up. I've gone through 4 bags so far and they've been great. I recently did a pork but and had enough fuel left for three more quick cooks on my acorn
That has been my experience with lump from various brands the unknowing wharehouse folks and stock clerks can really screw it up. They need to put handle with care on the bags & pallets.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

join the club!
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
mbshop
Babbling Farker

condemning a brand after one use is not fair in the least. try at least several bags first. there are soooo many folks who use it and like it so that has to mean something. but yer choice and i think you are going to sell yourself short.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
dkryzer

You really have to watch the bags as some of them have been crushed which breaks down lump into small pieces. This spring I picked up several backs of RO lump and was lucky enough to get them off the top of the pallet. No small pieces at all. Everything was nice size.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
ColdFyre

Thanks for your comments.. yeah, I'm prolly rushing to judgment. Basing an entire future of smoking on one experience isn't too wise. I may give them another shot. Gotta burn through 3 more bags of KingComp 1st :) (thanks costco!)
ColdFyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
volfan411

I put a layer of KBB on the bottom and then fill with RO and can get about 9-10 hours on a burn without refilling. I just bought several bags of RO from my WM and have not noticed much of a difference.

Tags
Royal Oak, WSM