Surf and Turf

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Whenever I have had Filet Mignon, it was at the company Christmas parties and was usually served with button mushrooms as a topping. Not sure how the steak was cooked.
It was always just OK and a better choice than the alternative poached fish. Can't say as it was my favorite cut of beef. Any way... Filet Mignon was on sale this weekend and since my memories of company Christmas parties have faded considerably.... succumbed to impulse and purchased.

cbgW81g.jpg

Cut 3 steaks a little over 2 inches thick, seasoned with K salt, black pepper, garlic salt and cayenne.
So, onto the grill with Weber charcoal and several small splits of red oak over a very hot fire about 12" below the grill grate.

yzj43DI.jpg

Seared for 2 minutes per side and 1 minute on all four "edges".

NOYHU1Z.jpg

Continued grilling, turning, then mopping the meat with a butter/garlic baste every minute until an internal temp of 95* was registered.

WRjhsVB.jpg

Pulled the meat, mopped it, let it rest for 5 minutes and raised the charcoal grate to where the coals were almost touching the grill grate.
Started grilling some corn. Returned the steaks to the grill, turning and basting until an internal temp of 115* was reached. Pulled and rested under foil.

vRrbrZI.jpg

The corn finished.

6az59Xx.jpg

Skewered some extra large shrimp that had been tossed in garlic butter with red pepper flakes and seasoned with lemon zest.
Grilled for several minutes per side.

anxaDPU.jpg

Time To Eat!!!

imAkAk7.jpg

Wonderful looking meal Robert, that adjustable grate, whats it call again?

Sooooo?? Were the steaks better than your recollection from the Xmas parties?

Fantastic! My kinda supper!!
Are you cooking in a drum?

Fantastic! My kinda supper!!
Are you cooking in a drum?

Thanks! Nope. Weber Performer for this cook with a Caliente grill kit.

WsJotUc.jpg

It raises/lowers the charcoal grate. The grilling grate stays in the same position.

Still diggin the Caliente grill kit but don't need more equipment, I must keep telling myself this...

Back