Score these entries please, just for grins.

Hawgsnheifers

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Had my first competition at Osage City this past weekend and was pleased with some scores and not with others. So please take a moment and give me your presentation scores if you would please along with any suggestions or comments, good or bad.

Thanks Brothers...

chicken.jpg

ribs.jpg

pork.jpg

brisket.jpg

I'd trim or not stack the top of the lettuce so high... A little too "bushy"

Scores I note below are based strictly on the meat, not the layout,garnish issue.

Chicken looks good.. A little bit more glaze might be nice... The one pc of the left threw me off with the trimming. (7- 8 )

Ribs look good.. (7-8 )

Pork looks a bit dry. Bark looks nice.. I'd consider adding some more sauce to it all. (6)

Brisket looks fantastic... It the box had a few more pieces and a little less green it would be perfect. (9)

Brisket looks the best out of the bunch. I'd score that an 8. The bark looks a bit dark which I'd assume would be a bit bitter, so just on appearance, it would rank an 8 for me.

Chicken looks good. A little saucy for my tastes. One thigh in the center left has something funky going on. I'd say 7 on that box.

Ribs look a bit messy. From what I can see of the meat, I can't tell if they look dry or not, but they kinda look dry. I gotta say 6 on those.

The pork looks super dry. Bark looks good. I gotta say 6 on that, too.

This isn't a lettace competition, but your garnish is a little all over the place. Could be tightened up a bit. Couple of the boxes have a piece of lettace in one corner shooting out.

You asked.

Chicken - nice uniform look, center left one though does looked trimmed or torn. (8)
Ribs- Hard to tell in the picture but the cuts on ribs look jagged, as opposed to smooth and even - makes it look like meat was tearing instead of cutting. Color however is excellent. (7)
Pork - nice mix of bark, slices and pulled - but then I like to do that also. The slices look dry however, as does some of the pulled. (7)
Brisket - Uniform, moist, nice color. Not falling apart, so not over cooked. (9)

Typically I don't let garnish into my rating unless it DETRACTS from the presentation -- i.e. covering the meat, poor quality (black or damaged lettuce). In a couple of your boxes, you have very little lettuce in some areas, and too much in others (falling out of box/covering edges of the meat.) Also in the chicken box, that lettuce stem is yellow and detracts from the meat. I would trim out anything that is not the green color you want.

Ok, that's my two cents!! :)

I'd trim or not stack the top of the lettuce so high... A little too "bushy"

Scores I note below are based strictly on the meat, not the layout,garnish issue.

Chicken looks good.. A little bit more glaze might be nice... The one pc of the left threw me off with the trimming. (7- 8 )

Ribs look good.. (7-8 )

Pork looks a bit dry. Bark looks nice.. I'd consider adding some more sauce to it all. (6)

Brisket looks fantastic... It the box had a few more pieces and a little less green it would be perfect. (9)

this is my thoughts
the ribs the lettus has brown spots on it

something to look at :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok next time I have Todd and Andy at the same place, I would like for them to critique an eligible bachelor! Yes a few things are torn and trimmed, and I may have "lettuce" everywhere, but you aint even sen the sauce yet!

On a serious note. I agree with everything Andy said. He has a very objective eye which also allows him to make a few walks every now and then.

Ok next time I have Todd and Andy at the same place, I would like for them to critique an eligible bachelor! Yes a few things are torn and trimmed, and I may have "lettuce" everywhere, but you aint even sen the sauce yet!

On a serious note. I agree with everything Andy said. He has a very objective eye which also allows him to make a few walks every now and then.

Just post a recent picture and we'll critique it for you. :twisted:

All excellent info Brothers. I guess I was so into the meat look, taste etc. some of the things you all pointed out I just plain missed. I bet I won't next time...

All excellent info Brothers. I guess I was so into the meat look, taste etc. some of the things you all pointed out I just plain missed. I bet I won't next time...

One other small note. There is was sauce on the edge of the container (front left corner) for the brisket. That might have gotten a mark down also....

I gotta repeat that the brisket looks super good. You can just tell that it isn't too over or under cooked. Looks like it is just going to melt in your mouth. That's what you want... the judge WANTING that sample.

One other small note. There is was sauce on the edge of the container (front left corner) for the brisket. That might have gotten a mark down also....

Aha. I see that too now that you mention it. You know what really kills me is the score I got on the brisket. 45th out of 60. Brisket has alway's been a fav on taste and tenderness. I picked up these slices and the didn't fall apart. They pulled apart with just a little effort. Bark was not bitter cause I use a lot of surger in my rub. Taste was right on. Here is exactly what the judges scored it. 878 776 866 778 778 678. I guess everybody did good on Brisket that day so mine was lost in the crowd. I scored better in pork and based on what everybody said here, it looked and was probably dry. Pork was 32nd out of 60. 685 899 878 677 865 779.

Go figure...:icon_smil

On your brisket, I believe you would have helped your apperance scores quite a bit if the slices were 'raised up' in the box rather than being down in the box. The way your box is makes my first look notice not only the brisket but a whole bunch of lettuce. If you take some lettuce bunches and put in the bottom of the box where the brisket will lay to support it up some, and use a little less around the edges, it will make the first look to be the great looking brisket,,,,,,,,

Looking at your scores, I would guess the garnish distracted somewhat from the great looking meat, which more deserves 8's and 9's in my mind...I know judges are instructed to not consider garnish when judging apperance, but I like to make it difficult for them to anyway, by showcasing the meat.

Hope this makes sense..

Before reading what others have posted so as not to affect my judgement, I would say over all they look good, but a few things caught my eye. The leaf lettuce looked brown on the tops so I would trim down and use less. Fill the boxes with meat and then use the garnish as garnish not to fill the boxes.

Chicken ~ I would give a 6, a piece on the left looked like it had a "nick" or missing piece. Perhaps more glaze to it as well.

Ribs ~ I would give a 7. Again same with the lettuce, browned and shoved in there. Overall box looks full of meat and not lettuce. Although all looks a bit dry, try spritzing just before turn in. Slices of pork are much harder to keep moist in the turn in boxes than pulled or shredded. Just my 2 cents there.

Brisket ~ I would give an 8. That looks like a mighty fine brisket you had going there. Again with the lettuce, and filling the box, but over all a good looking turn in.

OK Now I am ready for the tenderness and taste portion of the judging :-D

Overall good looking boxes though. Good job! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Every remark I would have made has already been made including the one about how great that brisket looks.

Br-7
Pk-8
Ribs-7
Ck-7

Frist let me say it is a meat contest I agree. I wish garnish was not allowed, period. If you are going to choose to use garnish, fuss it up a bit. Put some parsley around the box. That is why I gave the ck, rb and bk a 7, I believe they could have been more elaborate. And if you are going to say I should not be looking at the garnish, I should be looking at just the meat for appearance, (I am not directing this at you specifily) have the balls to turn in a box just full of meat and no garnish! A team did that in Modesto last year and I gave it a 9 cuz the meat looked great by itself. I dont have the balls to try it in a competition!

Chicken - 6. Good overall, but the middle on the left looks chewed up. Good color, though. Lettuce is a mess... I know it's not judged, but if you're going to include it, make it cleaner.

Ribs - 5. Cuts don't look even, lettuce is not only a bit of a mess, but brown in spots. I know it's a meat competition, but don't let the lettuce detract.

Pork - 5. Sauce is uneven and splotchy. Looks like the meat was just kind of thrown in , then slices laid around.

Brisket 6-7. Lettuce again... But the sauce on the slices looks too brushed on, and I'd want to see a bit more of the slices. It's also kind of down in the lettuce... would look better if it was up higher. YOu can always put more meat in, too.

Just my thoughts.

This is what I jotted down before reading any further

Chicken -8 Hide the torn end, color really good

Ribs- 8 Stack ribs better to look like one piece, your lettuce is in bad shape, I would'nt mark down as I'm there to judge your meat. But others would.

Pork- 7 Sauce splotchy, arrange slices more, add 2 slices,loose the pulled from the slices down and fill with barked chunks

Brisket- 8 1/2 ( here's where I have problems as a 1 yr judge)
If you arranged those slices pefectly in line I would have given you a 9.

All in all the lettuce was your weakest point, but still a very, very good effort. Wish I could have tasted those ribs....
ModelMaker

Back