One weekend, two contests

Alexa RnQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoe
RnQ is about to embark on another nutso ironman adventure --

On Friday, we're going to drive up to the Williams, Arizona contest, set up and cook as usual.

Directly after turn-ins we're going to break down, pack, and drive like bats out of hell for Durango, Colorado. We'll pull in sometime after 10pm-ish, set up and cook all over again for the entries on Sunday.

Who's done this? Tell me we're not going to die.

More importantly, who thought this was a great idea??? :shock:

You'll fit in nicely with the Portland Posse! Those farkers are true Road Warriors!
Sugar's BBQ, Ella's BBQ, Ciderhouse and Slabtown nothing holds them back!
Black Lake (PNWBA) and Bellevue (KCBS) the same weekend-gamers!

We are planning the same thing the following weekend... we have a Saturday/Sunday contest in the area (not the norm around here) and I got the hair-brain idea to drive 35 miles east to Warrensburg to compete in a Friday/Saturday contest. My wife would take another cooler of meat for check-in and most of our supplies up to Weston Saturday while I'm doing turn-ins at Warrensburg. Then after awards, I haul butt about 90 minutes northwest to the second contest.

Only one problem... Warrensburg (the Fri/Sat event) currently only has 12 teams signed up. After the issue with Independence last weekend, I'm not going east for less than 30 teams next week. So... if you wanna see if our wild plan works, sign up for Warrensburg so we can give it a whirl! LOL!

I am no veteran at doing comps but here is what I can tell you.
I did the Invitational and the open last year at the American Royal........I was one whipped pit bitch come Sat. afternoon at the awards.
I did have a 2 hr nap in that time period, but I am not 25 yrs young anymore either.
Good luck to you younger whippersnappers who are doing this dual contest thing.

I haul butt about 90 minutes
Lightweight.

shiner.gif

Waterloo and La Porte Ia do this. Waterloo is Fri/Sat and La Porte is Sat/Sun. The comps are only about 15-20 miles apart from each other which is great for the obvious reason but also because all the serious competitors are going to also do both - so getting their late in the day is not really a disadvantage as nearly all the teams are doing both (other than a few locals)

Pack light, have fun, good luck and drink your Gatorades!

Good Luck Mr.Rhythm n Miss. Que!!!! Going for the 3 straight in Durango!!!!

KC

Thanks for the well wishes and congrats on your RGC last weekend. Sorry we didn't get to spend more time together but there's always next time!

Oh, and it should read Ms. Rhythm and Mr. Que. We certainly don't want to have any Miss Ques at a contest. (There's no pun like a bad pun!!!)

did it this past April. Cooked Pork in the Park in Salsbury MD...left from awards to drive 5 hours back to NY to cook Williepalooza...didnt get there until almost 1 am and everyhting had to go hot and fast...will NOT do it again

We know you two can cook back to back's (and win:thumb:) with out a doubt...it's the tear down, drive, set up part that's a killer. I'm sure if you all schedule some power naps and take turns driving you will be fine. Best of luck and be safe!!:wink:

We are planning the same thing the following weekend... we have a Saturday/Sunday contest in the area (not the norm around here) and I got the hair-brain idea to drive 35 miles east to Warrensburg to compete in a Friday/Saturday contest. My wife would take another cooler of meat for check-in and most of our supplies up to Weston Saturday while I'm doing turn-ins at Warrensburg. Then after awards, I haul butt about 90 minutes northwest to the second contest.

Only one problem... Warrensburg (the Fri/Sat event) currently only has 12 teams signed up. After the issue with Independence last weekend, I'm not going east for less than 30 teams next week. So... if you wanna see if our wild plan works, sign up for Warrensburg so we can give it a whirl! LOL!

Jeff,
That was my plan too, But Weston was full. That is the weekend of my birthday, and my wife was going to let me do 2 comps in 1 weekend.
Oh well, I guess I will just take the weekend off.
Good Luck!

Good Luck R&Q I am sure you guys will hold up just fine.

We are doing the Back to Back in Iowa... Actually, we are thinking that it was training for the AR...

I like the idea of sending the meat forward. We'll have two trucks so Ramona and one of the guys are going to fly over, get the meat inspected, save our spot, and then come back for the awards...

RnQ is about to embark on another nutso ironman adventure --

On Friday, we're going to drive up to the Williams, Arizona contest, set up and cook as usual.

Directly after turn-ins we're going to break down, pack, and drive like bats out of hell for Durango, Colorado. We'll pull in sometime after 10pm-ish, set up and cook all over again for the entries on Sunday.

Who's done this? Tell me we're not going to die.

Hey how about doing three in one weekend?
Naw that would be crazy
Good Luck on this new adventure

Back