Brunswick Stew

nmayeux

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Amazingly, I have never cooked a pot of brunswick stew, and decided that with the new baby we might start a new tradition. I have a couple of recipes, but since I do not have the time an energy to experiment, I was wondering if any of you have a tried and proven recipe. The only stipulation, is that my wife won't eat anything out of mainstream, so please leave out the rabbit, squirrel, turtle, and possum.:biggrin:
Thanks

Noah, Here is one I posted before.

Brunswick Stew

Make base stock:
1 Left-over ham bone, or a few ham hocks
1 Onion, chopped coarsely
1 Carrot, chopped coarsely
2 Celery ribs, chopped coarsely
8 quarts water
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
Put all the stock ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 1 hour. Let stock cool down a little.

6 pounds bone-in rabbit or chicken pieces
3-4 pounds meat (pork butt, brisket, chuck, veal) cooked
-This is where you put in your BBQ meat, your choice

6 cups lima or butterbeans, fresh or frozen(defrosted)
6 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
5 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and diced
2 each, 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes, or equivalent
1 each, 10 ounce package frozen cut green beans, defrosted
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
3 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
Salt and Black pepper, to taste

When the stock has cooled down some, fish out the ham bone or the ham hocks and set aside.

Add the rabbit or chicken to the stock, bring back to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 1 and ¼ hours, till chicken or rabbit is fork tender.

Remove chicken from pot, set aside to cool.

Add all remaining ingredients to pot, adding as much water as needed to cover every thing by at least 2 inches. Continue cooking at a simmer for 30-45 minutes.

Meanwhile, shred chicken (or rabbit) from bones, removing chicken skin. Shred the meat from the ham bone or hocks.
Shred or chop your cooked BBQ meat.

When potatoes are mostly done, add all the chicken, ham, and meat to the pot and continue to simmer until all the meat and vegetables are very soft and blended together into a thick stew.
Stir frequently from the bottom up to prevent scorching and burning, adding as much water as necessary to keep the stew from becoming too thick.

Taste for salt and pepper and adjust seasoning if necessary.

Q,
That sounds pretty good, as I had been planning to use a beer can chicken and some left over butt I froze after my last cook. How many times have you cooked this yourself?

nmayeux said:
Q,
That sounds pretty good, as I had been planning to use a beer can chicken and some left over butt I froze after my last cook. How many times have you cooked this yourself?

It, or some variation thereof, maybe a hundred or more times over the years. You have to remember, I am an elderly type.

This is based on my old family recipe- I grew up helping cook this.

Noah, Brauma and his dad have been making Brunswick Stew for their church festivals for over 25 years. Brauma (Mark) is now the "head cook" and this past Oct 6 I helped them make over 60 gals in cast iron pots over a wood fire. It all sells in record time and its great. Im sure he will jump in here and send you the basics. its sorta like meatloaf, in that nothing is too critical and there is a bunch of ways people do it and its all good. Good Luck.

beerguy is right. Everyone has the only right recipe:mrgreen: .
Truly, a lot of stuff goes, and there is almost no wrong way to do it.
Just remember to keep it moist, do not stick to bottom of pot, and to make sure everything has a chance to cook completly.

Noah.....I can vouch for Qman's recipe above. It's the one that I use and I usually do a double batch. The only change I made to it is to add about a 1/2 bottle of Scott's BBQ sauce to the mix. Gives it just enough heat without being too rude. Best served over a bed of cornbread.

Here's one I like. i've played with it alot and made lots of variations. I agree everybody's stew is the best to them....I kinda like 'em all.....My favorites are the real spicy ones.:eek:

Attachments

• brunswick stew recepie.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 52
Anytime you cook a brisket, butt or chicken, put some aside for the brunswick stew. Then when you have all three, put on the pot. I don't do the wild game (squirrel and rabbit) myself. I think it comes out great just using left over BBQ.

I first experienced Brunswick Stew in Jacksonville Fla. in 1983 at a BBQ joint called Woody's. As a matter of fact it was there that I experienced my first mustard sauce too.

Good luck on your stew!

I've never had it but it sounds great. Kind of like a gumbo where anything goes?

... thanks for these recipes! Good stuff for these few cold months and cleaning out the freezer for the new year. WTF did I put that possum ??

I actually the one in the recipe section uses okra. I tried it and it was good eats!:tongue:

SIDE,
I love okra, but an ongoing joke in the family is about whether to cook okra based gumbo, or file gumbo. I am a purist, so I prefer okra. The African word for okra is gumbo, which gives this stew its name. So in my mind, if it does not have okra in it, then it is not gumbo!

I can say this because I am the only person in the room! ;)

Oh, you probably missed the waffle due to all the smoke in your eye...

Ok guys... Finally made a decision, and I'm going with Q's recipe, but cut in half. I recieved a earthenware crock that goes into the smoker that I will be trying also. It just isn't big enough to do the whole batch. Oh yeah, I plan on serving the waffle on the side. :)

Final Results

My pics aren't near as pretty as Mista's but you get the idea. This is what the recipe above looks like all cooked up with a little Scott's on the side for extra heat. I used three different kinds of meat:
  • 3 lbs pulled pork
  • 2 lbs beer can chicken (shredded without skin)
  • 1 lb chopped brisket
I fixed a "double" batch and it dang near filled up my 26 qt turkey fryer so don't let your eyes get bigger than your stomach like mine did. Had plenty to give out to the neighbors and put up in the freezer though so it's all good.

Attachments

• BrunswickStew.jpg
    BrunswickStew.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 97
I posted a bowl of mine on the other thread, but this is the first time I had a chance to compare to someone else's. Nice looking stew Richie. Looks like you used a little tomato paste and sauce. Mine lacked both...

Attachments

• Brunswick Stew 2007 3.jpg
    Brunswick Stew 2007 3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 93
Back