MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
PTSidehow
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Genetic enhanced Salmon nearing approval

Genetic enhanced Salmon nearing approval by the Pinhead politico's in Washington. Which mean's no label as to the fact that it has a growth fish gene in it. They are also planning to splice it into other fish types.

I don't like not knowing what crap they are putting the food or drugs.

It makes the fish grow 2X as fast so they reach sell weight for Salmon in 18 months rather than 36 month's.

They claim that it will not effect people in any way, yep right.
Growth hormones, in all the feed for the food source animals isn't bad enough. Now they want to genetically modify them.

Makes no difference which party you favor in Washington!

Everyone should remember, God had a plan, when he made lawyer, lips, and liar all start with the letter "L".

Since most politico's are lawyers, when their lips are moving they are lying !

As a Disclaimer, I neither support neither of the locations that these google returns came from as this is a current breaking story.
New York Times article
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/26/bu.../26salmon.html

Here is the Bio ethicist blog and web site
http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/sec...for-the-table/

Old 06-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Genetically modified or whatever, I'll still smoke it and enjoy it.If we looked into every piece of meat that we ate we would all be vegans(ugh). Lighten up and enjoy your food and remember,"everything in moderation, even moderation in moderation".
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Smokin' Teddy T
Got Wood.

Default First...get the proper information

Glen...I don't doubt your good intentions, but after 30 years in the animal protein production business, my polite suggestion is that you get your facts correct (hard to do because the press are some of the most ignorant on this subject) before you just emote the "food alarmists" propaganda. In short - never in the History of Man have we in the US had such a high quality, healthy, abundant, wholesome, nutritious and low-cost RAW or whole food supply. Those that tell you otherwise are either misinformed or trying to sell you something natural or organic at 3x the price. Nothing wrong with most of the organic or natural stuff, just that it promotes itself as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...i.e. it presumes that our basic food supply in the US is unsafe...it is NOT. Far from it. Furthermore - it is charging 2-3x the price for something that is unnecessary...and the only way to do that is to falsely create the image that our traditional raw food supply is "dangerous". However - what we do need to work on in America is nutrition, diet & exercise...but that has nothing to do with the safety of the raw (i.e. unprocessed whole foods...processed foods CAN be a problem and are another subject for another time) food ingredients available in America. The current irrational hysteria about the safety of America's raw foods only serves as a major distraction from solving our real nutrition problems...which are diet and exercise.

Sorry to jump on ya but the subject is just too important to be emotional and not factual. It is sort of like Obamacare...an expensive solution that doesn't address the real problems with our current healthcare system...but now I digress. Apologies.

TT

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
PTSidehow
Knows what a fatty is.

My only concern is that they will not label the products as genetically engineered. I don't care about the food alarmist or their propaganda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsideshow
As a Disclaimer, I neither support either of the locations that these google returns came from as this is a current breaking story.
I do believe that there is a lot of things that they don't know.
As for Natural/organic food that's is another whole crock of stuff. As most will test for the the things they claim aren't in them.

they only reason the politco's won't make them label it is Money in their pockets.

I personally don't think all the growth hormones in the chain is good for us. I bet they never tested for the inter actions of all of them combined!

I don't understand how posting links to a news story is being alarmist, As my disclaimer in my first post clearly states.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm all for doing it genetically...better than over farming/fishing/hunting and using loads of chemicals to increase yield(specially in animal matter). Way too many people on this planet to sustain healthy populations in other spiecies without the help of science.
gotwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
bassbuster33
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Teddy T View Post
Nothing wrong with most of the organic or natural stuff, just that it promotes itself as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...i.e. it presumes that our basic food supply in the US is unsafe
I agree with most of your statement with this exception.

There are many parts to alternative food choices. Many of those parts have nothing to do with any kind of fear over the current food supply.

Flavor, sustainability and supporting local farms play a large part of it.

Back on topic.

Eat wild caught salmon.

I do realize that I live in an area where wild caught salmon is readily available and is much more reasonably priced than other areas in the country. But there are options.
bassbuster33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbuster33 View Post
I agree with most of your statement with this exception.

There are many parts to alternative food choices. Many of those parts have nothing to do with any kind of fear over the current food supply.

Flavor, sustainability and supporting local farms play a large part of it.

Back on topic.

Eat wild caught salmon.

I do realize that I live in an area where wild caught salmon is readily available and is much more reasonably priced than other areas in the country. But there are options.
Our local Kroger has been running wild caught salmon on sale, $3.99 per lb. I've enjoyed a good bit of it. VERY tasty with Yardbird on it!!
BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
bassbuster33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy View Post
Our local Kroger has been running wild caught salmon on sale, $3.99 per lb. I've enjoyed a good bit of it. VERY tasty with Yardbird on it!!
That is a great deal. Wild caught salmon is so much better than farmed in every way imaginable, including being much better for you.
bassbuster33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
jtphillips
Knows what a fatty is.

Glen, you have an obvious bias towards this conversation: thirty years in the animal protein production business. You said, and I quote, "In short - never in the History of Man have we in the US had such a high quality, healthy, abundant, wholesome, nutritious and low-cost RAW or whole food supply. Those that tell you otherwise are either misinformed or trying to sell you something natural or organic at 3x the price." You are telling me that a cow that stands in it's own defication for the duration of its existence and never feeds on grass is healthy? The majority of the beef in our society comes from cattle that do just that; these cattle are raised in CAFO's (concentrated animal feeding operations). Cattle aren't biological designed to eat grain, yet that is all their diet consists of in a CAFO. Ninety percent of E. Coli that cattle carry could be destroyed by feeding them grass for only one week---the beef producers refuse to do this. The majority of the chicken in our society is shot full of antibiotics and growth hormones to make them grow bigger and faster. Tyson has essentially re-engineered the the chicken to have larger breasts and grow much faster. Many of the chickens can only take two or three steps and have to plop down because their body mass increases quicker than their bone structure. The production of our protein is controlled by Capitalism and the drive to always produce more meat quicker. The techniques the major meat producers use to grow their animals are inhumane and disgusting. You may be right, we have an abundace of meat in our society, but only because we live in a Capitalistic society that wants to producre more and more at a faster rate. All the while, no one steps back to ask if it is ethical to raise animals like this. Just for the record, I am neither mis-informed, nor am I trying to sell organic meat. Also, I don't have the inherent bias of thirty years in the meat business. I suggest you get your facts straight. I don't blame the meat producers for trying to make as much profit as possible, but they can't loose their virtue along the way. In your post you said that PTsidehow needed to get his facts straight. In order for anyone to "get their facts straight" they need to be truely objective. How objective can you be when you have worked in protein production for thirty years?
jtphillips is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

US and world population and our fat bellies push the need for these practices. not to mention the outcry if they let all the cattle needed to feed us ....feed only on grass.
gotwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
jtphillips
Knows what a fatty is.

Gotwood, answer one question: why are our bellies fat? Are you saying that our entire society lacks the self-control of preivous generations. Or, is it becuase the food in our society is becoming more and more fatty and unhealthy? I'm not taking a stance, just curious of your opinion.
jtphillips is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Looks like this is turning into an argument so here is my .02 Would you guys Please learn to use the enter key and make some paragraphs out of all those words.

Like this, so some of us old guys that can't see or hear too good, can read what you write.

Now get back at it and have some fun.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I buy most of my meat from sources that I know, with the documentation to show where the beast was born, raised and died. I do not eat farmed fish if at all possible, then again, I do not eat fish if at all possible.

I think it is a reasonable thing for me, and yes, this means I can't always afford to eat as much meat as I would like. According to my cardiologist, this is not a bad thing.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 AM   #14
PTSidehow
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphillips
Glen, you have an obvious bias towards this conversation: thirty years in the animal protein production business.
jtphillips I am not the one in the animal Feed business. Glen(PTsideshow)

Smokin' Teddy T is the poster in the feed business,

Just to keep things straight

Old 06-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #15
kcchiefdav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphillips View Post
Glen, you have an obvious bias towards this conversation: thirty years in the animal protein production business. You said, and I quote, "In short - never in the History of Man have we in the US had such a high quality, healthy, abundant, wholesome, nutritious and low-cost RAW or whole food supply. Those that tell you otherwise are either misinformed or trying to sell you something natural or organic at 3x the price." You are telling me that a cow that stands in it's own defication for the duration of its existence and never feeds on grass is healthy? The majority of the beef in our society comes from cattle that do just that; these cattle are raised in CAFO's (concentrated animal feeding operations). Cattle aren't biological designed to eat grain, yet that is all their diet consists of in a CAFO. Ninety percent of E. Coli that cattle carry could be destroyed by feeding them grass for only one week---the beef producers refuse to do this. The majority of the chicken in our society is shot full of antibiotics and growth hormones to make them grow bigger and faster. Tyson has essentially re-engineered the the chicken to have larger breasts and grow much faster. Many of the chickens can only take two or three steps and have to plop down because their body mass increases quicker than their bone structure. The production of our protein is controlled by Capitalism and the drive to always produce more meat quicker. The techniques the major meat producers use to grow their animals are inhumane and disgusting. You may be right, we have an abundace of meat in our society, but only because we live in a Capitalistic society that wants to producre more and more at a faster rate. All the while, no one steps back to ask if it is ethical to raise animals like this. Just for the record, I am neither mis-informed, nor am I trying to sell organic meat. Also, I don't have the inherent bias of thirty years in the meat business. I suggest you get your facts straight. I don't blame the meat producers for trying to make as much profit as possible, but they can't loose their virtue along the way. In your post you said that PTsidehow needed to get his facts straight. In order for anyone to "get their facts straight" they need to be truely objective. How objective can you be when you have worked in protein production for thirty years?
I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but you make several assertions here that are not true or at least not completely true.

1. Grass doesn't kill E.coli. Grass is a plant and is primarily water and cellulose. There are a number of species of bacteria that can digest cellulose. E.coli just digests grains "better" than grass. E.coli is the species of bacteria that is prevalent because the beef is primarily fed grain in this country, if beef were fed primarily grass, then there'd be a different bacteria that was prevalent.

2. Cows ARE biologically suited to eat grain...cows are herbivorous and grains are plants. As huge herds of cow ancestors migrated through the plans feasting on wild plants, there certainly was a great deal of grain among those plants.

3. I think you're missing a basic point about why these things are done. The "beef people" raise their cows in feed lots because consumers love beef but don't want to pay a premium for it and there's an ever-increasing base of customers. If the populous was willing/able to pay 2 or 3 times the price and demanded all beef be fed primarily grass, then it would happen. But when Wal-mart controls the prices for all things food and demands the producers do everything on the cheap to keep prices down, you get feed lots.

As for the chickens...everybody wants lean chicken (aka breasts). How can you fault Tyson or anyone else for giving the market what the market demands. Is it fair to treat animals "inhumanely" to give the people exactly what they want? I obviously don't have a huge problem with it.

4. None of the things that you've mentioned are unhealthy to you or me.
kcchiefdav is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
Engineered Food, Genetic Salmon, Growth Hormone, salmon