• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mediocre brisket flat = decent burnt ends?

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I cooked a flat a month or so ago and was pretty underwhelmed with it. It's been vac sealed and in the freezer for a while. Any reason I couldn't thaw it, cube and throw in a pan on the smoker for a few more hours? I was going to save it for steak soup this winter, but have been jonesing for burnt ends lately. Think it will work?

You can.
They wont be melt in your mouth but add some rub, smoke them a couple hrs and glaze at the end, they'll still be edible.

P.S. add as much fat and juice that you have saved. :thumb:

What Bubba said. They won't be the same as burnt ends from the point, because there's so much less fat, but juice 'em up as much as you can. Saving for soup is probably the way I'd go, though, or chile. That would be good.

What was underwhelming about the flat in the place? Pulled too early before it was done? I love burnt ends so I would do exactly what you are asking. Personally I like to add rub and sauce from the beginning.

If you HAVE to have it (and I get that) then I would cube, rub and sauce and into the smoke for a few hours.
If you are just trying to figuer out what to do with it, I would wait and make chili with it. Of course, that depends on why you were underwhelmed with it in the first place. Would hate to see you spend the time on these and be underwhelmed again.

It might do well to cube and foil. In the foil add a mix of beef broth, bbq sauce, and rub. Reheat for about an hour and then unfoil. I"d then toss with more rub & sauce. Place in a pan and smoke them until you think they're ready.

What was underwhelming about the flat in the place? Pulled too early before it was done? I love burnt ends so I would do exactly what you are asking. Personally I like to add rub and sauce from the beginning.

I think it was pulled a shade too early. Wasn't particularly tender and tasted kind of bland. My thinking was that rub+sauce+ a few more hours on the smoker might make it salvageable. If I try it, I'll post a follow up. Otherwise, it will have a date w/ the crockpot for some steak soup on a cold NFL Sunday!

Back