4 briskets at once.

chaostheory

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Fellas,
I hope everyone had a great Christmas and an even better New Years. I’m here to talk about Brisket and have a few questions for your guys. I smoke on a UDS with guru hook up a turn out decent bbq, nothing special. Typically when I smoke brisket it takes me 8.5-9.5hrs without rest, with a Texas Crutch (tin foil) wrap at 5-6 hrs or 160 IT and it’s done when she is probe tender. In a few weeks I will be smoking 4 briskets at once on my UDS for work and want to know if my cook time will change with that many briskets. Iv never smoked more then one brisket at a time on my UDS so I’m not sure what to expect. Can you guys chime in on what you have seen with your cooks? Any advice on smoking this many at once. Iv got two racks so will the top or bottom rack be done first, in other words should I keep a closer eye on the bottom rack. I know the heat is closer to the bottom rack but heat rises so I’m not sure. Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks Fellas

Will four briskies fit in a UDS?

I imagine it will take a bit longer since you have four large pieces of meat and the bottom ones are going to act as a diffuser of sorts for the ones on the top. Would plan on an extra hour cook time and rotating the top and bottom ones about half way through.

I agree...

If you can fit 4 briskets in a UDS, it will take a bit longer since there are four large pieces of meat in the UDS. If you ate using 2 shelves the bottom ones are going to faster than the ones on the top. Plan on rotating the top and bottom ones about half way through and plan on some extra cooking time.

Ive never cooked on a uds but 4 depending on size seems like a lot

My arthtities is acting up, so bear with the typing.

If you must, 4 packers up to about 12 pounds trimmed can fit on a UDS. It will seriously impact air flow, and thus, cook time. It also changes airflow, which means you will need to rotate the packers halfway through the cook. I rotate and move from top to bottom to even out exposure to heat. If you can, maintain at least 2" around each packer. Once you are in foil, this doesn't matter at all, as you are now using the foil mosisture to heat them.

In terms of timing, it will take longer, both due to mass of meat that needs to come to temperature and the amount of air flow you are losing. Now worries, it is minimal, I would bump to 325°F once in foil. That will allow you to maintain a fairly normal time range. Obviously, since these are briskets, you could also run a couple hours earlier.

You will have four brisket, at full temperature, so if you pull at just probe tender, or even a little shy, wrap in towels and place in a cooler the four briskets will hold and continue to get tender for several more hours. A 4 hour hold is totally feasible, and likely will give you more leeway.

Go PBC style and hang them for first 4-5 hrs then wrap and put on grates. Probally add 2-4 hrs anyway you do it. Or just whip up another UDS and do 2 in each ( you could probally atleast find a buddy who wants an UDS - help him and borrow it )
:thumb:

I tell you what, 2 UDS cookers is the best idea yet.

Or Smoke 2 to 180* the week before, then freeze, then finish out in oven while 2 more are in UDS next week or weekend.

4 briskets is going to be tight. Leave extra time and rotate at least once. I have done 3 butts and 3 racks of baby backs at one time on UDS. As you know each piece of meat is different. I am sure they will not be ready at the same time. You could have at least an hour difference in finishing time between them.Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

A fella suggested using the oven method. Smoke 2 at a time. When you wrap them up finish off in the oven and add the next 2 briskets for smoke.

I did 6 butts (~45lbs total) in my 18.5 WSM in August. They barely physically fit in the thing, and then I had a hard time keeping the temp up. I had to prop the door open and went through a lot of lump. Time wise it wasn't really much longer than normal but was a lot more "work"

Back