• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Never Cut Wood... But built a Table (w/pics)

I build decks for a living so I am more familiar with treated wood than one needs to be, it will dry regardless of whether it gets wet or not. There is no need to keep it dry. The boards are able to get air movement on all sides now, you will be surprised how fast they dry out.

I have materials delivered on Fridays, by the time I start the deck on Monday the boards that are on the outside of the lumber pile are relatively dry. The ones in the middle are still saturated and much heavier.

So you think it would be OK to go ahead and stain this table? This table 'should' never get rained on so getting wet from weather is not a real issue but I would love to stain it with something like the Australian Timber Oil that Lowes sells...

Nice looking build mate.
You may be happy to know, that some of us that use wood a lot. still cut short
Be interested to see it when its stained and installed.

I have two other guys who will help me lift the Big Joe in whenever I get ready to do that.

Nice three people is a good idea. I only had two so we ended up lowering it into the hole on a heavy beach towel, then wriggled the towel out at the end. Just be careful.

I apologize, I misunderstood. I thought you were worried they wouldn't dry if they were exposed to weather.

You do need to wait a while to stain it, but that depends how wet the boards were to start with. Did you notice any moisture squeezing out of the boards when you cut or screwed them?

That is a fine looking table JM.Thanks for sharing.Best of luck on cutting out the hole for your cooker.

Good start so far.
My problem is, once I begin a project, I can't stop to take pics.
Just like the refurb on the Bandera I got. Pretty much finished up today but, no pics to show the progress from "before" to "after". No patience.

I apologize, I misunderstood. I thought you were worried they wouldn't dry if they were exposed to weather.

You do need to wait a while to stain it, but that depends how wet the boards were to start with. Did you notice any moisture squeezing out of the boards when you cut or screwed them?

I noticed that once or twice when I was putting the decking screws in the 1 1/4 x 6 boards on the table top.

Man...I've cut QUITE A BIT of wood and metal (My neighbors have to love me..there is a grinder,chopsaw, welder or circular saw blaring every weekend almost) my build would probably look half as good as that lol.

Sounds like it will be a couple of weeks then.

Thanks for that info. Currently the game plan is to stain the table. I plan to use some color of the Cabot Australian Timber Oil and I will let this table sit for at least three weeks before I put the kamado in it.

Oh the agony of waiting!

I'm feelin' it! I really wanted to get this thing completed this weekend. I took two days off work this week (Thursday and Friday) so I could work on this project and watch ACC Tourney basketball... I ended up listening to games this afternoon on the radio while I worked on this.

John, I'm so proud of you! You did a really nice job on the table! Yeah, you should stain it. You know you want to!! :becky: :thumb:

Looks like real nice work to me JM I know it's been a while but it's good to see u online still hope to hear from you more now that I finally got things settled at work and everywhere else now I can start Qing again

Back