• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pickled Pork Tenderloin Char Siu (Char Siu Sauce Courtesy chicagokp!)

Just to clarify - you used the same Alton Brown recipe for the veggies?

Just to clarify - you used the same Alton Brown recipe for the veggies?

Oops. Sorry about that. One piece of information I left out from the Throw Down entry. The pickle for the veggies was very simple. 1 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup salt and 3/4 cup sugar. Heated to dissolve the sugar, then I added about half a cup of ice to cool.

Nice cook!

I never would have thought to try that- your plated pic looks fantastic. :thumb:

So AB's recipe doesn't seem to call for cooking the meat, just brining????

I is confusedded. :confused:

Nice cook!

I never would have thought to try that- your plated pic looks fantastic. :thumb:

So AB's recipe doesn't seem to call for cooking the meat, just brining????

I is confusedded. :confused:

Yep. His recipe is just the pickle. I didn't look further to see what he did with it though, but I had some ideas anyway by then.

Oops. Sorry about that. One piece of information I left out from the Throw Down entry. The pickle for the veggies was very simple. 1 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup salt and 3/4 cup sugar. Heated to dissolve the sugar, then I added about half a cup of ice to cool.

That is the same quick pickle i use for veggies. It is nice and simple but brings out the flavors of the veggies really well.

What an interesting process you hit upon Guerry, going with the pickle first, then char siu, that had to be an intense flavor on the meat. Certainly a gorgeous cook and plating.

I am struggling to come up with a similar combination in Asian foods, but, I see one in German foods, with pickled meat such as sauerbraten and the sweet salty style of red cabbage and apples. I can see where this would have been excellent.

Thanks Bob. I too searched looking for an Asian pickled pork recipe to no avail. I had thought of sauerbraten but for some reason I was intent on using the tenderloin. Michele raved about it over the two evening meals we were able to make out of it, plus I was happily surprised at the way it turned out as well, so all was good and now I have another dish I can recreate when the mood strikes.

Back