MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Here is a Picture of the Stamped Concrete we had done last summer on the Patio area

Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

A Little closer view of the concrete

I hope this helps You...it is a big decision to redo all that area...but might be well worth it for Safety Sake !!
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
MadCityJim
On the road to being a farker

I really want to keep the smoker & grill close to the house. I'm planning on making the deck and siding a lot more fire resistant. I use the grill throughout the winter and know if it gets moved to the other side of the deck it won't get used in the winter for sure. Probably not very much in the summer either.

Early research puts wood deck at $6/sqft installed; composite at $10/sqft installed; aluminum at $12 installed. Total cost of ownership after 4-5 years is almost dead even regardless of material.

I'm thinking of going to stucco for the walls of the back of the house.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]-Weber OTG, Weber OTS, Weber Smokey Joe Gold, Smokenator, Stoker[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]-[COLOR=green]SuperFast WaterProof [B]GREEN[/B] Thermapen[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]-Proud architect of: [/B][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90573"][B]Smoked Mac-N-Cheese with Bourbon and Bacon[/B][/URL][B], [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92062"][B]Big Bad BLT Platter[/B][/URL], [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85744"][B]Whole Suckling Pig In My ProQ Excel 20[/B][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]
MadCityJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
MadCityJim

I love the look of that stamped concrete, but it will quadruple the scope of work involved in this project. I'm still curious though, what was the cost per square foot on that project?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]-Weber OTG, Weber OTS, Weber Smokey Joe Gold, Smokenator, Stoker[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]-[COLOR=green]SuperFast WaterProof [B]GREEN[/B] Thermapen[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]-Proud architect of: [/B][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90573"][B]Smoked Mac-N-Cheese with Bourbon and Bacon[/B][/URL][B], [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92062"][B]Big Bad BLT Platter[/B][/URL], [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85744"][B]Whole Suckling Pig In My ProQ Excel 20[/B][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

I will have to see if I can find the contract on the concrete Jim...not sure of the square footage....but it was in the 2K range for the deck and a back walk that is not shown !

I also agree with Motley on the Aluminum...we bought an aluminum patio table last year and it get so Hot You can hardly touch it...just a thought on that !!

I think an aluminum deck would be Unbearable

and just plain concrete would be cheaper that the stamped...the stamped in Very Labor Intensive !!
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy

Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
Motley Q

i think many posters on this board use charcoal on their decks with no problems

They also have unmelted/unburned siding.

Your problem isn't the material used in the siding or decking

It''s the person who lights the grill
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #22
N8man
Babbling Farker

I'm wondering about how the close proximity of your cookers in relation
to the house affects the coverage/liability of your home owners insurance....
you do have insurance right?

I have a covered porch in front and a covered deck in the rear....and you won't
see my cookers on either.....sacrificing safety for convenience's sake is a bad idea
in my opinion......

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

Note the GREAT distance between the house and all sources of FLAME.

P.S. If you do have an accdent with your equipment and have a fire, Mr. insurance may not come thruogh for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbob View Post
Here is a Picture of the Stamped Concrete we had done last summer on the Patio area

Husband & Wife Team (so far)

[B][I][COLOR=magenta][U]Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team[/U] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black][U]New Palestine IN[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #24
N8man
Babbling Farker

I just went back and looked at your photos....
I don't see a fire extinguisher anywheres.....

just saying....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
I'm wondering about how the close proximity of your cookers in relation
to the house affects the coverage/liability of your home owners insurance....
you do have insurance right?

I have a covered porch in front and a covered deck in the rear....and you won't
see my cookers on either.....sacrificing safety for convenience's sake is a bad idea
in my opinion......
Agreed.

...or install a bunch of these-

Old 04-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #26
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

The Deck itself looks to be in good shape...You might want to consider tearing part of the deck there by the Brick wall out and have a section of concrete put in just there to set the cookers on and use the brickwall as the backdrop...that would be a lot cheaper than tearing the whole deck out !! Just my .$02
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #27
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

I found the Madison Wisconsin Fire Department website. I copy & pasted the section that probably applies to you.
============================

Outdoor & Open Burning

The Madison General Ordinance and the State Fire Code prohibit outdoor and open burning without a permit. A license is required for the kindling or maintaining of an open fire or a fire on any public street, alley, road, or other public or private ground. Go to Open Burning License Information (PDF).

For supplemental information on campfires, outdoor fireplaces, clay fireplaces, LP-assisted ignition fireplaces, home-built fireplaces, cooking fires, charcoal & LP-gas grills and other open-flame cooking devices, go to Outdoor & Open Burning Informational Bulletin (PDF).

For a summary of information specific to grills (open-flame cooking devices), go to Grills - City of Madison Ordinance (PDF).

Grill Safety Tips

The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), and City of Madison Fire Department recommend the following grill safety tips:

General Grill Safety Tips

• NEVER use a grill indoors (home, tent, vehicle, etc.). The toxic gas produced by charcoal or gas grilling are extremely dangerous and can kill without warning.
  • Always follow the manufacturer's instructions. Perform an annual safety inspection prior to the first seasonal use of a grill.
  • Never allow children to use the grill. Create a safety zone of at least 3 feet around the grill and place the grill a safe distance from play areas.
  • Place the grill at least 10 feet from combustible materials such as siding, decks, tree branches, etc.
  • Avoid Burns: Use proper utensils with long handles that allow the chef plenty of clearance from the heat and flames.
  • Do not wear loose clothing while cooking.
  • Never leave cooking unattended.
  • Periodically remove grease buildup from the grill surfaces and the trays below the grill so the grease is not ignited by the hot grill.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher nearby and accessible.

Gas (LP or propane) Grill Safety Tips

• Check the tubes that lead into the burner for any blockage from insects, grease, or other debris.
  • Check grill hoses and fittings for cracking, brittleness, holes, scratches, or leaks. Replace as necessary.
  • Move gas hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and dripping hot grease. Install a heat shield if necessary.
  • If you smell gas when you reconnect the grill to the LP gas container check for leaks following the manufacturer's instructions. If you detect or suspect a leak, immediately turn off the gas and don't attempt to light the grill until the leak has been fixed.
    • In many cases, a light soap and water solution applied to the fittings and hoses can help detect gas leaks by the appearance of bubbles from the escaping gas.
  • Keep lighted cigarettes, matches, or open flames away from a leaking grill.
  • Do not attempt to repair the tank valve or appliance yourself. See an LP gas dealer or qualified appliance repair person.
  • Consumers should use caution when storing LP gas containers. Keep containers upright and do not store them near the grill or indoors. Never store flammable liquids, like gasoline, near the grill.
  • LP gas containers should be transported in a secure upright position – never keep a filled tank in a hot car or trunk.

Note: All propane cylinders manufactured after April 2002 must have overfill protection devices (OPD). OPDs shut off the flow of propane before capacity is reached, limiting the potential for release of propane gas if the cylinder heats up.

Charcoal Grill Safety Tips

• Charcoal produces carbon monoxide (CO) when burned. CO is a colorless, odorless gas that can accumulate to toxic levels in closed environments.
    • Never use a grill indoors!
  • Make sure charcoal has been completely extinguished before disposing of the ashes and storing the grill – ashes may reignite 48 to 72 hours after use.
  • If using a fluid to start the charcoal grill, use only starter fluid intended for this purpose. It is extremely dangerous to use any other combustible liquid to start the coals.
  • Never apply charcoal lighter (starter) fluid after the charcoal has been lit.
  • Store starter fluid away from heat sources and out of reach from children.

http://www.cityofmadison.com/fire/pr...ome/grills.cfm

Grillman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #28
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

First, that's a really nice deck and patio (and from what we can see a nice house), you and the spousal unit should be proud of what you have put together. Be a damn shame to have an avoidable accident. If it were mine, I'd figure out some way to get a fireproof base to my cook toys (concrete) with at least a 3-5 ft perimeter to anything that could melt or burn. Maybe move to the "patio" area and add some kind of cover to keep that white chit off. But I acknowledge I'm one of those guys that have had a grease fire or two after 40+ years of outdoors cookin so I'm kinda parinoid about fire.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #29
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbob View Post
The Deck itself looks to be in good shape...You might want to consider tearing part of the deck there by the Brick wall out and have a section of concrete put in just there to set the cookers on and use the brickwall as the backdrop...that would be a lot cheaper than tearing the whole deck out !! Just my .$02
+1

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #30
MadCityJim

We're going to have to tear up the deck in front of the chimney to get the woodshed built. At that point we'd be able to see what we are up against for putting a ground level patio in. I know there will be a bunch of issues: the 50 year old concrete deck around the pool and maybe a 40 year old in-ground spa. 20 years ago the previous owners put the wood deck there for a reason. We'll find out later this summer.

Jim