MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:33 AM   #1
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Cool 45th: 1st Q of 2014 - Brisket UNFOILED [w/ pr0n]

Oh yeah, I know it's a little late to post pics of my first Q of this year, which took place on 1st January, but I've been too busy with work and other things to give Qing my full attention. Can't believe it's already mid of April and we only had 2 cooks this year so far. In my defense I ran out of charcoal and just recently drove 400 km to fetch a new batch of 100 kg of my preferred Natural Lemon Tree Charcoal. That's dedication, isn't it?

So here some pics of my first unfoiled brisket that wasn't a complete failure. It was nice, but a little dry and not as tender as I wished for.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Looks pretty damn edible from here.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Enrico Brandizzi
Babbling Farker

Bark super, smoke ring perfect. I always try to understand from pics what kind of brisket i'm looking at. This is why I really appreciate your close pics. What's your opinion : overdone ?

BBQness is on Youtube, Instagram & Flickr [/B]
Enrico Brandizzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico View Post
Bark super, smoke ring perfect. I always try to understand from pics what kind of brisket i'm looking at. This is why I really appreciate your close pics. What's your opinion : overdone ?
Really difficult to tell, I like it more "fall-off-the-bone" slightly overdone, but although it seemed to be juicy when testing for doneness it on one hand didn't seem to be quite slightly overdone yet, on the other hand it was not that juicy after all.

Still trying to figure out how to do it the right way without foiling, my wife is helping by testing for doneness, I just don't have the right feel for it.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Welcome back.Glad you still have the "bug".Did you wrap and rest after you took it off?

Old 04-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Looks awesome! I think I drooled on myself! Nice work.
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowhair42 View Post
Welcome back.Glad you still have the "bug".Did you wrap and rest after you took it off?
Yes, I always let it rest, can't remember if it was wrapped or not though. We had quite some beef (none-Q'ed) recently, so I guess my next cook will be pork again.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

if it was dry, you probably undercooked it. was it probed tender in the thickest part of the flat when you pulled it?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomlord View Post
if it was dry, you probably undercooked it. was it probed tender in the thickest part of the flat when you pulled it?
Yes, it definitely was slightly undercooked, although by testing with finger and probe it looked ready to be taken off (in the end it was my wife's decision).

The goal is to get it slightly overcooked but tender and juicy.