MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Total Fail with Stubbs Charcoal

I cooked my first KCBS comp this weekend. Since KBB gets such a bad rap (I have no issues with it in my BWS Party), I decided to try a bag of Stubbs.

We loaded the basket up inn the Party and dumped about 10 lit coals (KBB) in the right front corner. The temp climbed to about 160 from the lit coals and then started falling like a rock. I opened all vents, exhaust, and turned on the Guru. For 30 minutes the temp continued to fall to about 120.

We decided to pull the basket out to see what was up. As soon as we removed the basket and set it on the ground, the entire pile of briquettes ignited with a very strange white, wispy flame and a nearly toxic smoke cloud. We quickly dumped the entire basket in a bucket of water.

After that scare, we loaded up with KBB and lit it with a Weber cube. Temp came up to 240 as usual in about 40 minutes.

I wouldn't touch Stubbs again if it was free. In fact we left the half full bag for the trash guy at the end of the comp, and they picked up everything except the Stubbs.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like the Stubbs version of matchlight ?

Edit: Well I find no mention of such a Stubbs product. I can see an oxygen starved fire bursting into flames when you put the basket out in the air, but the toxic smoke cloud part? Weird.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
IamMadMan

I've used Stubb's and Kingsford Briquettes in my Humphrey's (sort of Backwoods Clone) with no problem from either. I now have found that I get better control from using lump charcoal. Even though many cookers are similar, they do operate differently.

I hope you did well in the comp considering your misfortune.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Dauvis
is One Chatty Farker

I had the same problem the first time I used it. It was windy with drizzle that day. I am thinking that Stubbs is really hygroscopic and pulls moisture from the air. The second time I used it, the weather was dry and hot. I did not have any problems and I was using the same bag.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Only time I've had a problem with Stubb's was when I tried to cook the day after a huge rain...I think it got damp from the open window it was under. Otherwise it's been great!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
caseydog

I had a similar experience with Stubb's charcoal once. It looked to me like my charcoal was wet, even though it didn't feel wet. It made very little heat, and a lot of white smoke.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Interesting comments about moisture. I did fill the basket about five hours ahead of time and had it sitting outside the smoker. Maybe that was the problem

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

I have only used Stubbs once, as I prefer cooking with lump. It was a cold and rainy night and I was doing a butt. I got the temp in my WSM up to 225* and it stayed there for 10+ hours. All in all I'd say it was a pretty good experience with the Stubbs.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Interesting comments about moisture. I did fill the basket about five hours ahead of time and had it sitting outside the smoker. Maybe that was the problem
that can occur with any charcoal. i used stubbs for @ 2 years(i use KBB now)and never once had a problem.

one time, at band camp, i prepared my WSM for a cook the night before, including filling the charcoal ring. i forget what coal i used then, wicked good, maybe?, but i had a real hard time getting it to temp.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

I've used Stubbs once and I really didn't notice any difference from the Kingsford Competition (Costco) I been using.

With that said, it appears that Stubbs is not "thicker than water" and to get your "everlasting love" of the flame going consistently, you will need to do some "shadow dancing" with the KBB, and hopefully it will "be your everything"! (Shout out to Boogiesnap)

Old 07-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
ChickenWang
Full Fledged Farker

I have used Stubbs for years and have never had a problem with it. Like others here have said, maybe it was just the weather.
ChickenWang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

Ive used a couple a bags of Stubbs in the Akorn with good results.. I find my vents are a "fuzz" more open than with lump but good none the less.. I have a bag for a few months now but am so dialed in with lump in the Akorn I have not touched it.. When I use it if I have problems will report back..
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
nthole
Babbling Farker

I've used Stubbs for years without problem and love it. Sounds very odd.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I like Stubbs a lot - gotta say it must've been something other than the Stubbs that caused it to behave that way.
I use it all the time in all my cookers.
I keep it out in the garage where it's dry and cool all year round.
I'm glad you were able to recover.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 AM   #15
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i'm not that carefull with my charcoal and i have never had problems with any that i have used. rain, shine , whatever. but i do have to say that one should never do a cook or comp with a new to you charcoal. you need to get things down before that !!