MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Baysidebob
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Lodge Sportsman's Charcoal Grill

Does anyone use one and how do you like it?
Baysidebob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
glh17
Full Fledged Farker

I have the same question. I've had a Lodge Sportman in my cart at Amazon for a good while. We spend a week in a condo in Florida every summer and I'm going to get a Lodge or a Weber Smokey Joe before we go back next year.

I almost bought a WSJ while down there this past summer, but decided to wait and make sure I wouldn't prefer the Lodge. I need something that's small and easy to store cause we're usually packed tight.
glh17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

I have one and love it. Takes a little getting used to. I've cooked steaks, boneless chix, burgers, sausage and flat bread. All came out great.
Nice char on the outside. Beware it is heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
sheepdad
Knows what a fatty is.

Used to have one until it was stolen at a campground. Cooked great and yes heavy. Long cool down time. Small grilling area. Cooks real hot so you have to keep and eye on things if your set in your ways with another grill. Clean up was a little bit of a pain I guess. Make sure you season the whole thing real good.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i have one and they are nice little cookers. that being said, i would suggest a
weber charcoal go-anywhere.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
HighLife
Found some matches.

I love mine. Great for grilling skewered meat. Nice sear. Grill a little of a pain to clean due to its being cast iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Nemo
Knows what a fatty is.

I have one and what Eddie says is pretty spot on. I actually use it mostly for yakatori / kebab type stuff. Fast high heat with great cast iron grill marks is what I think it's best at. Be aware that it gets really hot and stays hot long after you're done cooking plus you can't just leave it out in the weather because it'll rust of course. Fortunately it isn't that big and I can fit it in my gas grill and close the lid so it won't get wet.

Overall I'm very happy with it for specific high heat searing but it would take a while to feed a crowd with it. A smokey joe might be a more versatile choice if that's your only cooking tool.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
i have one and they are nice little cookers. that being said, i would suggest a
weber charcoal go-anywhere.

For a first portable grill I think the CGA is a better choice. It is so versatile. Check out some of the threads by Phubar et vie for awesome cooks which demonstrate how versatile it is.

Having said that, the Lodge CI grill is get fun to cook on, especially things that need to be seared on high heat. Just needs some TLC.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Love my charcoal Weber Go Anywhere, wouldn't trade it for any other portable.....

Old 10-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Beerbecue
Full Fledged Farker

Another vote here for the WGA. A grill with a cover is much more versatile than an open hibachi plus you can make it better still with cast iron grates from Craycort.
Beerbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Welcome to the Brethren Bob! I thought you had the approval for a Mini BGE?

There's a Bay Area Brethren Bash on Nov 17 that you might want to check out (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=145512)

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #12
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

WGA rules!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
Baysidebob

So ordered the Sportsman Sunday and it got here today. I took it on a dry run to see how it behaved. 30 briquettes with an electric starter and it was up quickly. I have a small deBuyer skillet that suffered a mishap and needed some seasoning so I slapped it on. In just over a half-hour the skillet was over 400 degrees on the grid (legs up) and smoking the canola oil per the IR thermo (I’m a temp freak). Switched the grid to legs down. Amazon reviews complain about the space the logo takes up in the center of the grid but I find it great for checking the temp with the IR. She stayed well above 300 for an hour but at 1:05 she fell below 300. Next run will be more briquettes. I have two ribeyes bathing in merlot for tomorrow. The plan is to cook taters, wok veggies, saute sauce and cook the steaks. If it works I’ll post something. If not, well it won’t be my first failure. I don’t intend to do a lot of full meals on it but I think it will be a great companion to my large BGE for sides and sauces.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
mbshop
Babbling Farker

congrats ! you still made a great choice and hope you enjoy it !

Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
Baysidebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
congrats ! you still made a great choice and hope you enjoy it !
Thanks. "Portable" is not my issue and this wouldn't be the best choice for that. I do believe it will meet my needs as a BGE companion and a dandy hot and fast grill for two.