My New Toy - ProQ Cold Smoke Generator (with pr0n)

K

KuyasKitchen

Just got a fun little piece in the mail today. As one can tell by my sig, my only real smoker is a GOSM. So, I couldn't really cold smoke. That's why I picked this up.

First off, the construction is good. This isn't some flimsy piece of garbage. It came with a tea candle, the generator itself, and some oak dust.

I knew right off that I wasn't going to be thrilled with smoking with oak. I'm not a fan of that flavor. But, I didn't have any other sawdust ready. So, I did a test smoke.

I put the vents on my GOSM to as closed as they'll go (which is about 1/2 open) and loaded it up. All you do is put the candle under one part of the generator and light it. Leave it there for about a minute. Then, take the candle away. The sawdust will keep burning on its own (presuming that it's nice and dry, I assume).

It worked great! I took out cheese samples at two hours. Cheese and sausage samples at three hours. And, lastly, cheese and sausage samples at four hours. I wanted to see the effects of the cold smoke over time.

I've picked up some coconut sawdust and am drying it in the sun. That'll be a future post. Plus, I plan to do BACON with this!

Tomorrow, we try the sausage and cheese. I suspect the flavor will be a little harsh.

20100215073.jpg

20100215074.jpg

20100215076.jpg

20100215078.jpg

20100215077.jpg

20100215079.jpg

You should. It's so easy to use! (no, Mac's not paying me a single quid for this).

Ok,you talked me into it,probably next weekend I'll try it out.
Don't know what to test it with yet,probably some fish.

I got one too about a week and a half ago. Tossed in some Mozzarella and used Peach dust. I bought Peach, Apple and Wild Cherry.

the real question: how did the sausage & cheeses come out?!

Back