Costco Prime Brisket??

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi All I was in Costco yesterday Prime brisket was $3.19 and so was commodity? I'm thinking commodity was choice, didn't see select on the package...So question why was prime so cheap? Could have been a lower grade prime?
I did pick up a 14 lb prime brisket.
Thanks DanB

Any way you look at it its a great deal. Always is. You do lose more to trim but still a great deal

They can be found for $2.69/lb in Texas several times a year. About the only place I buy briskets at anymore. They are always labelled Prime.

I had Prime at my Costco here in East Hanover, NJ for the first time ever a few weeks back. They had only two 18LBers at 2.99/lb. I've never seen packers in both Costcos I go to here in Nothern NJ. I got both :) The guy told me he'd never seen them either and that he couldn't even order them. He had no clue why they got them.

Here in Raleigh NC, Prime packers are 2.69-2.99 in off season and creeps up to 3.99 during the "grilling season." But never gets over that 3.99 mark. The Choice flats sold next to those are usually a couple more dollars a pound cuz the more a knife has to hit the meat before it's sold, the higher the price.

------
Check out my BBQ Instagram!
@headforthehillsbbq

The better question is why do you live one state below me and NONE of the Costco's near me in PA sell Whole packers let alone PRIME, and @ $3.19/lb? All the Costco's in PA want $5.99/lb for CHOICE flats.

The better question is why do you live one state below me and NONE of the Costco's near me in PA sell Whole packers let alone PRIME, and @ $3.19/lb? All the Costco's in PA want $5.99/lb for CHOICE flats.

Our Costco here in MD always have Prime packers got a 12lber for 43 dollars.

Our Costco here in MD always have Prime packers got a 12lber for 43 dollars.

Im wondering if its just his local Costco, or if its all Costco's in NJ that carry Prime for that price. I live an hour away from the flemington costco.

Just called. They dont carry prime briskets at the flemington costco.

Last edited:
I noticed the same thing just last weekend. The USDA Prime packer brisket was $2.99/lb.
and the USDA Choice was $3.59/lb. I believe the brand was Kirkland. I purchased a 13#er
and it was excellent.

The Costco in Richmond, VA always has Prime whole packers, the price varies per the season but for the last few years they carry them year round.

It is NOT the norm for NJ. I've seen them once (a couple weeks ago) in the couple years I've been cooking BBQ seriously. I always had to go to my butcher for CAB Choice and pay usually ~$3.49/lb.

Costco

I had Prime at my Costco here in East Hanover, NJ for the first time ever a few weeks back. They had only two 18LBers at 2.99/lb. I've never seen packers in both Costcos I go to here in Nothern NJ. I got both :) The guy told me he'd never seen them either and that he couldn't even order them. He had no clue why they got them.

Hi Here in Hackensack they have both prime & choice paker all the time,so far.
That is the only reason I joined Costco.
DanB

Hi Here in Hackensack they have both prime & choice paker all the time,so far.
That is the only reason I joined Costco.
DanB

Good to know! If I tell a difference between the CAB Choices I usually get I may have to take the extra 1/2 hour drive to Hackensack from now on.

Brisket

Good to know! If I tell a difference between the CAB Choices I usually get I may have to take the extra 1/2 hour drive to Hackensack from now on.

Hi I used to go to Restaurant Depot for SAB Angus brisket,but the Costco price is much better..I don't have much luck smoking brisket, they all come out tasty but the flat is always dry..Tried hot n fast, low n slow wrapped unwrapped.All with the same results.
Trouble with Costco is that they only put out maybe 5 briskets of each..
DanB

Hi I used to go to Restaurant Depot for SAB Angus brisket,but the Costco price is much better..I don't have much luck smoking brisket, they all come out tasty but the flat is always dry..Tried hot n fast, low n slow wrapped unwrapped.All with the same results.
Trouble with Costco is that they only put out maybe 5 briskets of each..
DanB

The RD I go to in Fairfield/Parsippany rarely has briskets, so i stopped even trying. Is that the one you go to?

My butcher 5 minutes away in Wharton always have them for not much more than RD prices, so I am happy to support them.

Prime and choice are same price $3.19 here also. Picked up a nicely marbled prime just now.

aw8gHzkh.jpg

Last edited:
St Louis Costco’s always have Prime packers and choice flats. Packers now are $3.19. At least one BBQ restaurant I know of buys Costco brisket and I bet others do too. To bad our Costco doesn’t do short plate ribs. They can’t order them. Some have them. Just not here. The 123a short plate.

Back