Purpose of Franklin’s smokestack design? (wide exhaust opening)

charcoalwilly

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I recently became curious about Aaron Franklin’s smokestack design while re-reading Franklin’s book, Franklin Barbecue. As an aside, his book definitely belongs in my Pantheon of all-time great books on smoking & grilling which for me includes:
Chris Lilly - Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ Book
Stephen Raichlen - BBQ Bible (and Planet Barbecue)
Adam Lang - Charred and Scruffed

In the book, Franklin fabricates a horizontal offset for backyard use (not for his restaurant). You can see from the attached photos that his design includes a smokestack elbow that extends the entire length of the food chamber (from front to back). I saw where someone referred to similar design as a “collector box” or “manifold” but not sure if that is the correct jargon. (Note that I’m not referring to the vertical placement of the outlet, which is a whole other topic discussed many times here).

What is purpose of this wide exhaust opening? My guess is that it evens out the temperatures from front to back and may also improve draft. In the book, Franklin is big fan of maximizing air flow, which is one reason why he doesn’t use tuning plates (of course he’s typically using much larger smokers in the restaurant environment than the backyard model that is pictured in the book).

I’ve been told by one pit builder that this exhaust design is probably only effective for larger diameter smokers.

What do you think? What is the purpose behind this design? Would it have noticeable impact on horizontal offset with 24” diameter? (Assume length anywhere from 36” to 48”).

Last edited:
IMO (I've built several with 24-42 inch diameter cook chambers) you get more even air flow and heat/smoke distribution while taking exhaust at grate level. Seems to me to be more worth while on traditional offset flow, probably not as critical on reverse flow. Lesser importance, if you are a believer in taking exhaust from grate level (I am) the design can use you entire cooking grate.

I'm no expert on BBQ's but I know that on turbo cars most of the piping has gradual increases and decreases in size as it approaches or leaves the turbo and it seems to me that his approach gives the air flow a bit of a gradual transition. Sort of a forcing cone.

Last edited:
IMH estimation, the "ears" would help to eliminate any dead or hot spots.
Anytime you change flow. In any way. Curves, flats etc help to eliminate flow restrictions. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the responses. Interesting comparison to turbo car exhaust.

I definitely like the idea of smoothing out the air flow restrictions with the “ears” and using whole cooking grate by eliminating the hot/cold spots. It seems that most of focus is usually on temp differences horizontally on offsets but not so much front to back differences. I agree it looks damn cool as well :grin: for what that’s worth

Why don’t you see this feature more often on offsets?

Keep the thoughts coming brethren!

I can't remember if I read it somewhere or he told me when I was talking to him about this, but it acts a collector and it reduces a backup of smoke and allows for a smoother air flow. I am sure it also has to do with velocity of air moving through the smoker as well. When I was talking to him he talked a lot about the flow of air through the smoker and making it as smooth a flow for the air and smoke as possible.

Why don’t you see this feature more often on offsets? Keep the thoughts coming brethren!
Labor intensive ($$$$) compared to just attaching a 90 deg pipe. Quite a few smokers that are built are just basic copies of what is out there. No testing to see what does or does not improve their product. And some do not have any real understanding of flow. And what it takes to improve it/make it better.
And it shows (to me anyways) that he has spent alot of time and found what works/flow wise for his design offset smokers.
Those "ears" help to draw hot air up into the smoke stack from front to back across the grate (uninterrupted flow). Like mentioned above. Without those "ears" the hot air swirls/stops at each corner (interrupted flow) before entering the smoke stack. Leaving more hot spots/zones.

Last edited:
Do Jambos have this "ears" feature? I believe Pitmaker's Sniper has something like this as well.

I can't remember if I read it somewhere or he told me when I was talking to him about this, but it acts a collector and it reduces a backup of smoke and allows for a smoother air flow. I am sure it also has to do with velocity of air moving through the smoker as well. When I was talking to him he talked a lot about the flow of air through the smoker and making it as smooth a flow for the air and smoke as possible.

@ Clay-b-que - did you include the ears on your Franklin clone?

Labor intensive ($$$$) compared to just attaching a 90 deg pipe. Quite a few smokers that are built are just basic copies of what is out there. No testing to see what does or does not improve their product. And some do not have any real understanding of flow. And what it takes to improve it/make it better.

@ Ebijack - It would be great to see side-by-side comparison. If only I had the cash and space for two!

Sorry just saw this. Yes I did. Works great!See below.

93e31ecee5210d5e730a15f18250854f.jpg

bec18ba5081be5716ccb8e013b4db4d2.jpg

c68868545f4953c484e17ec64fc537f2.jpg

@ Clay-b-que - Love the Franklinstein!

I am going to give the ‘ears’ design a shot. Looks to be 5” tall or so. I will report back soon.

I would recommend it! I had my smoke stack at about 5 foot and then cut a foot off of it. I was concerned about the collector holding the weight but it wasn't an issue when it got all welded up. It is strong and a great design. Can't remember how tall I made the collector, probably between 4 and 6 inches. Honestly I just eyed it and did what I thought looked right for this build and what I had seen Franklin do. Show us some pics when you get a chance. Good luck!

I know, old thread, but I always thought of the "collector" as a plenum.

The Camelback smokers have one similar to the Jambos.

I'm rereading Franklin's book right now, and he mentions turbulence several times. The stack design probably increases suction up the flue increasing air velocity, and higher velocity would increase air turbulance in the cooking chamber. I suspect the combinstion of the velocity and turbulance makes temps more uniform across the box. He hates slow smouldering fires because they create "bad" smoke which screws up the flavor of the meat. Just my opinion.
Note, Franklin also puts a liner in his firebox. Says it helps maintain the fire temp and reduces his fuel costs.

Since this thread got resurrected, when reading his book, he was talking about adding a plate at grate level where the firebox and cooking chamber meet and then another plate at the bottom to keep grease from getting to the fire. I never really understood exactly what he meant by that. That was the only thing he didn't have diagrams or pictures of

Since this thread got resurrected, when reading his book, he was talking about adding a plate at grate level where the firebox and cooking chamber meet and then another plate at the bottom to keep grease from getting to the fire. I never really understood exactly what he meant by that. That was the only thing he didn't have diagrams or pictures of

The plate near the fire box is most likely a reverse baffle. It pushes airflow up to the top and the low stack sucks it out the bottom. These pits are top heat design, that's why they only have a single grate. An upper grate would run much hotter. They can also take more time to recover. Other top heat designs include jambo, muskrat and outlaw

What ever happened to Franklin producing these pits? I thought they were supposed to start production this past summer? I'm definitely interested in these.

Now Franklin has the benefit of being wildly successful so he can say whatever he wants when asked about the "collector box". My guess is that when he was building one of his first pits he knew he wanted to pull from the grate level and probably wanted to increase draft and came up with the basic design. After it was all said and done he lit the pit and thought "cool, that works" and that was it.
That being said when we built my offset we did the same thing and it does draft amazing so it obviously works, I just don't think it was as planned out as we'd like to believe. Some of the best ideas in design come from a very basic need and thought.

Back