MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #16
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
I agree that you don't have the same flavor as charcoal. That is why i like my UDS more. I don't know know about the lack of bark. I have seen pictures from pellet cookers that have good bark on their stuff and I have done good on my own, I just don't get the smoke flavor that I like. Maybe you need to go heavier on the rub? Not sure? Anyway, good luck on the Komado grill search, it should be fun to use!
Could also be that I wrap to soon also. I am done wrapping. I am doing this Carolina Pork Sunday. See how it goes. I will add pictures.

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #17
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
Could also be that I wrap to soon also. I am done wrapping. I am doing this Carolina Pork Sunday. See how it goes. I will add pictures.
Here is a tip when it comes time to put the sauce on your chopped pork. Keep in mind that the sauce is a seasoning. You don't want to drown it. You'll be much more please with your final product if you add the sauce a little at a time & mix it in. Taste it, and them mix in more if you feel it's needed. When you start tasting vinegar you need to stop! It shouldn't be vinegary. Just a very slight hint is more than enough.

I also throw just a bit of heat in my sauce. You can mix it like the guy does in the video, but most folks will let a cold mixed sauce sit for a week to a month before using it. I like to barely bring it to a boil and immediately shut it off. I'll be ready for use in under an hour (once the peppers steep). But then again, the best barbecue restaurant in the state simply sprinkles crushed red flakes right over the top of their pork & call it a day...so go figure! LoL

Old 03-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #18
Zed
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Zed

I try not to wrap if I can help it, time constants on big fat butts sometimes forces me to. I dont use a pellet grill but all in all the process is the same. I do find that smaller butts 3-4 lbs do push right through the stall and tend to get a stronger smoke flavor overall compared to the larger butts with the same amount of time in the smoke. But the bark is king and wrapping is the killer of bark. Also I live in SC so I know all about good chopped and pulled pork! Well how to eat it that is!!!

Old 03-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
Here is a tip when it comes time to put the sauce on your chopped pork. Keep in mind that the sauce is a seasoning. You don't want to drown it. You'll be much more please with your final product if you add the sauce a little at a time & mix it in. Taste it, and them mix in more if you feel it's needed. When you start tasting vinegar you need to stop! It shouldn't be vinegary. Just a very slight hint is more than enough.

I also throw just a bit of heat in my sauce. You can mix it like the guy does in the video, but most folks will let a cold mixed sauce sit for a week to a month before using it. I like to barely bring it to a boil and immediately shut it off. I'll be ready for use in under an hour (once the peppers steep). But then again, the best barbecue restaurant in the state simply sprinkles crushed red flakes right over the top of their pork & call it a day...so go figure! LoL
Good tips thank you! I have seen other variations of this sauce, is this the same seasoning sauce you would use other than adding a little heat? Getting ready for Sunday. Picking up the pork tomorrow from the butcher and will get that sauce done tonight.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #20
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I try not to wrap if I can help it, time constants on big fat butts sometimes forces me to. I dont use a pellet grill but all in all the process is the same. I do find that smaller butts 3-4 lbs do push right through the stall and tend to get a stronger smoke flavor overall compared to the larger butts with the same amount of time in the smoke. But the bark is king and wrapping is the killer of bark. Also I live in SC so I know all about good chopped and pulled pork! Well how to eat it that is!!!
I have noticed that when I do a pulled pork and I wrap, it does indeed render it down, but it also makes it wet on top. The only reason I ever wrapped was because most of the videos I have seen the gents doing the cooking wrap. They say to much smoke makes it nasty? However I am getting different opinions here. Wrapping really does seem to defeat the purpose of a nice long smoke.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #21
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Good tips thank you! I have seen other variations of this sauce, is this the same seasoning sauce you would use other than adding a little heat? Getting ready for Sunday. Picking up the pork tomorrow from the butcher and will get that sauce done tonight.
If it's cooked right it shouldn't need sauce imo but some like my wife think BBQ = BBQ Sauce.

Chopped

I'll put sauce on the table for my wife and those who want it.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #22
Cook
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I have noticed that when I do a pulled pork and I wrap, it does indeed render it down, but it also makes it wet on top. The only reason I ever wrapped was because most of the videos I have seen the gents doing the cooking wrap. They say to much smoke makes it nasty? However I am getting different opinions here. Wrapping really does seem to defeat the purpose of a nice long smoke.
When someone says that too much smoke makes their barbecue nasty...it's because they are cooking with nasty smoke. That particular person needs to learn how to cook with good smoke.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #23
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quick question, should I do this with strait Apple pellets or do it in Hickory. I usually do 50/50 Hickory and Cherry pellets, but I thought I would do strait Apple this time for something different. Watcha think?

Old 03-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #24
Cook
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
If it's cooked right it shouldn't need sauce imo but some like my wife think BBQ = BBQ Sauce.

Chopped

I understand, and agree about sauce...but North Carolina barbecue sauce isn't the same thing. It's a seasoning...and no more of a seasoning than you put on your pork (rub) prior or after the cook. The term "sauce" is confusing.

Last edited by Cook; 03-09-2018 at 04:11 PM..
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #25
Cook
Babbling Farker

This pork is fully "sauced" and ready to eat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171008_104606-1.jpg (87.3 KB, 67 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #26
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post

Chopped

I am a sauce o haulic!! I drench everything in sauce. I cannot eat a steak without A1. No matter how good it is cooked. I also love BBQ sauce. But I know where you are coming from. Some people feel sauce ruins the meat and that makes total sense.
I love the taste of vinegar, that is why this version of PP/CP has my attention. I still make good old fashioned Good Seasons for salad dressing, love the vinegar taste is gives a salad.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #27
Cook
Babbling Farker

Quote:
The basic sauce you see in the video is fine...I just prefer to heat it up, not quite or just to a boil, and let it cool first. The heat will steep the peppers and infuse it into the vinegar. But you certainly don't have to do it.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #28
KevinJ

Quote:
I understand, and agree about sauce...but North Carolina barbecue sauce isn't the same thing. It's a seasoning...and no more of a seasoning than you put on your pork (rub) prior or after the cook. The term "sauce" is confusing.
I understand and I'll use Swamp Boys Boot Leg Red or Blues Hog Tennessee Red on leftovers from time to time or if I'm having a sandwich without a Vinegar base slaw or pickled red onions so it's not dry.

Quote:
This pork is fully "sauced" and ready to eat.

The Pork looks awesome and not drowned in a heavy base BBQ sauce.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸

Last edited by KevinJ; 03-09-2018 at 05:26 PM..
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #29
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

Here are a couple of NC sauces as suggestions for your weekend shenanigans:

Lexington Dip - This comes from the Piedmont of NC, specifically Lexington. It's considered a sacrilege by Eastern North Carolinians, because of the tomato content. That said, it's a "dressing" sauce for between the chop and the serve.
Source: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/B...ngton_dip.html
Ingredients
1 cup distilled vinegar (do not use cider vinegar)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

Just a simple eastern NC. Vinegar sauce - SirPorkaLot
Source: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...9&postcount=37

INGREDIENTS
1 cup water
1 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbs sugar
3/4 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp White pepper
1 Tbs red pepper flakes

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Whisk together all ingredients until sugar and salt are dissolved.

Have fun with your experimentation!

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #30
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Got the Butt on nice and early. Got an extra start thanks to daylight savings. Did not have course pepper so had to use ground pepper. But so far so good. Been on for around 4 hours now. Went into the freezer and had a couple of racks of ribs so I said, why not. Our grocery store here has been running sales for months now, buy one baby back and get 1 free or 2 free. Stocked up on some ribs while the getting is good.

Last edited by Rib Rub; 09-21-2018 at 07:02 PM..
Rib Rub is offline   Reply With Quote