BBQ Brethren "From the Heart" Throwdown!

Yeah, me too, I think the choice of plum preserves is brilliant -- hearty and robust, just like ribs are. Really nice looking ribs, tarhog, and the rest of the plate, too. In fact, I like the plate itself, it's pretty and cradles your entry into "comfort food". What's under the bacon press on the grill?

I wonder, if we wanted to make smoked sea salt like you have a jar of, could we just put a dish of sea salt on the grill? Wouldn't that be a lovely addition to something?

Good show, tarhog!

Thanks, I ran out of tin foil and had to use aluminum cake pans for the rest of the potatoes. The press is holding the lid on a little tighter.

I cooked my entry for friends on Thursday and took pics -- sorry, none were prep shots this time. Hosting a family reunion at our place tomorrow (Sunday) noon. Some have to drive 3 or 4 hours to get home so it's usually long done before dark. Once we pack up what we need to I'll work on posting my entry.

This is my Throwdown entry!

This is a photo taken by Moose of the ABT's I made last Saturday (July 7) at the market research BBQ gathering hosted by Moose at his place.

MattsABTs.jpg

Here's Moose's post about the event with plenty more pr0n: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138714

OKAY!!

Sorry Bruce's about the delay. Back at home now and I humbly submit this official entry into the "From the Heart" TD, in the most grovelling and obsequeous manner to Bigabyte, our very own TD God!:mod:

The full thread can be seen here where we catered for 120 people last Saturday evening

And, also, here is the thread where I asked by brothers for some advice, and got some great help!

Why this entry is "from the heart" is that I wanted to bring some of the awesome things I that I have learnt from this forum, to a new audience of people.

You'll know from a lot of my posts, that Aussies just don't know about "this kind" of American Food. They consider American Food just to be McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Burger King, KFC etc... and at the high end of the market, we have TGI Fridays, and a few other themed style restaurants. It's so sad that Aussies are missing out on what "real" BBQ is all about.

So, from the heart. I tried to play a little part in rectifying that last week.

The most important part of the entire effort, was to make some pulled chucky. It would have been nice to have brisket, but I have not found a reliable source as yet. And I wanted to do a pulled pork, but we were on a budget for the cook, so the chucky was the go. Also, because we were cooking for children as well, having a pulled meat, was a lot better than having burgers. I made that mistake last year and made 150gram burgers. Too big for the kiddies, and so much food went uneaten. With a pulled chucky, everyone could have as much or as little as they wanted.

So, I put my Bullet Bill into Action (Thanks Marty)
IMBD2011-07042012_164.jpg

Here's a few in sequence of the Chucky's on their 21 hour Mission with peach wood and lump. I used a lemon and pepper rub. I figured for large volume catering, you can't go past brother Donny (Pitmaster T's) advice... and frankly, I'm keeping the rest of my SM rubs to myself!

The chuckies were injected with a reduced beef broth and similar ingredients to the prep thread, although I backed off the fish sauce a bit.
IMBD2011-07042012_150.jpg

IMBD2011-07052012_169.jpg

IMBD2011-07052012_175.jpg

Remember... that's my Retard "Celcius Only" thermopen... It's still bloody fast though!

The chucky's just fell apart... man they were so moist and juicy too!
IMBD2011-07052012_177.jpg

After the chucky's came off, I smoked up the Mac and Cheese!
IMBD2011-07052012_184.jpg

While that was smoking, I prepped and completed the rest of the dishes, packed the van, and we were ready to go on our 30 minute trip to the venue!

When we got there, the first thing was to reheat the chicken wings in the vertical gasser. This worked like a CHARM! (Thanks Landarc)
IMBD2011-07052012_190.jpg

Yep... that's 35 pounds of Chicken Wings right there in the vertical smoker! I got them to 140F on about 35 minutes!

Here is the Potato Salad with thanks to brother mmmeat (Big Kev) for his Moms recipe. I did modify it a bit with Myron Myxons recipe as well.. The result was awesome. I had Mums coming up to me saying the potato salad was the best they've ever had.

Well, I knew it would be, because in Australia, potato salad is just potato and mayo... that's it!:wacko: No-one ever thinks to jazz it up!:tsk:

I wanted to do Guerry's coleslaw recipe also... but I did not get it ready early enough for it to partially pickle... so sorry Guerry.. the coleslaw was just dressed with my regular dressing..
IMBD2011-07052012_188.jpg

Here's that Mac and Cheese! The kiddies favourite... I heard all the little kids saying how good it was... SOOOO CHEESY!:becky:

IMBD2011-07052012_202.jpg

Anyway.. we pulled the chucky and added back all the juices, which I had reduced on the stove and stored in my Thermus.
IMBD2011-07052012_197.jpg

And service began...

IMBD2011-07052012_200.jpg

IMBD2011-07052012_205.jpg

IMBD2011-07052012_210.jpg

This was my dish...
IMBD2011-07052012_218.jpg

But if it's OK with the TD God, I'd like to nominate this pic for my entry pic... as it was repeated so many times in the original thread..
IMBD2011-07052012_179.jpg

And as it was all about the chucky... this does it for me.

To be honest... doing this for so many people, seriously stressed me out. I wanted to put up something different, and I batted it out of the park, thanks to all the help I got from my brothers here, and my help on the day. The biggest joy I got was from the little kids. When they first saw the pulled beef, they really didn't know what the hell it was... so they just has a little bit. Well, all those kids came back for seconds and thirds.... there's my victory.

Honestly, I did not have a single bad comment. My wife came back from the camp a few days later and she told me that everyone was raving about the food for the rest of the camp... and that all the other food was terrible!

That's all I wanted to hear.

Thanks for your help everyone. We managed to make a difference that night!

Cheers!

Bill

This is my entry, bigabyte.

Well, since my closest family is 250 miles away, and my friends all live on the internet, I cooked a meal for my best friend, Psycho Poodle. :becky:

I did some research on dog friendly cooking, and came up with a nice mix of meat, veggies and seasonings. My goal was to make a good, healthy meal for the pup, that I would also eat.

The meat was basic stew meat from Kroger, and the veggies are broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower. The primary seasoning was cayenne -- which dogs like and it's good for them. Not too much, but enough to add some heat.

picture.php

I also whipped up a gravy and some pasta.

picture.php

I used a perforated grill pan for cooking on the 18.5 OTG, direct heat.

picture.php

Here's the money shot -- a bowl for each of us (I gave PP more of the meat).

picture.php

And here is money shot number two (use this one).

picture.php

He ate everything except a few pieces of broccoli.

He spent time in doggie jail (the kennel) this week while I was travelling, so he was happy to be spoiled. :becky:

CD

Last edited:
My Official TD Entry

The Mrs. loves pork and prefers pork ribs to beef. I decided to make some spares and potato salad and zucchini. Some of her favorite things. Here's the cook thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138843 . We had some watermelon for desert. She loved it all. Please use the last pic as my entry.

Last edited:
My Official Throwdown Entry

Please consider this my official entry in the "From the Heart" throwdown.

My wife has had a long and storied love affair with smoked turkey legs like you can get at the fair. I decided to brave the thunderstorms rolling through our area and make a meal of Smoked "Fair style" turkey legs, spinich and arugula salad with smoked onions and peaches, and hasselbacked potatoes.

Had to setup my offset umbrella to keep the storms at bay. Works pretty well. During the harder periods of rain the umbrella acted like a mister letting some through as fine particles, but it kept the keg (and myself) pretty dry which is the important part!
turkey4.jpg

It wasn't until 1/2 way through the cook that the weather got nice enough to allow me to start documenting the cook. Basted with some honey and added some more rub to the turkey here and threw the peach on.
turkey1tz.jpg

turkey2l.jpg

turkey3.jpg

Turkey got some beautiful color on it. Pulled it off after taking these pics. They were on for about one and a half hours at 325.
turkey5.jpg

turkey6.jpg

turkey7.jpg

Please use this as my official entry shot

The smoked peaches and onions were awesome on the salad. I love the taste and texture of a warm peach!
turkey8.jpg

The Turkey turned out real nice as well. Good hit of smoke, heat and sweet (was first cooked with the onions in some sprite, chili flakes and hot sauce, when thrown on the smoker got drizzled in honey and Oakridge poultry rub). Hasselbacks were kept simple, just butter, garlic, s&p. Were good but I tried foiling them this time and next time will go back to cooking in a cast iron pan as wife said she prefers them when they get all crispy/crunchy.
turkey9o.jpg

The honey made a great glaze on the turkey, looks like it's sauced here, but it's not!

turkey10.jpg

Was enjoyed by the whole family, which is what matters most. Thanks for looking!

This is my offical entry...Pig Shot's for all!!!

My wife's uncle was hosting a party on Saturday to celebrate his 5 year wedding anniversary and the whole family was going to be there. I decided I wanted to do something for everyone that was from the heart, so I figured I would give them all a bunch of heart attacks. :grin:

Just to show a little more love, along with the ingredients, the flowers in this shot were a gift to my wife for our 7th wedding anniversary last week.

IMG_3090.jpg

1/2" rounds of kielbasa wrapped in half a strip of bacon. I ended up with 113 of these back breaking beauties. You know there's love involved when the clock says 2am when your finished.

IMG_3096.jpg

IMG_3097.jpg

I whipped up a mixture of cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar, and Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy.

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

Made myself a ghetto pastry bag and filled up the shots.

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

Then I topped each one off with a mixture of dark brown sugar and Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple.

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

The pig shot army on the egg.

IMG_3080.jpg

They came out looking good, and met rave reviews at the party. These are another thing you just can't make enough of.

IMG_3114.jpg

Please use this shot for the TD.

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

:peace:

Back