Pellet Cookers-Fad or Future

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Has it been decided yet? I enjoyed my pellet adventure, but honestly don’t miss it much.
Pellet grills have been around a long time now. There’s just something romantic about those YouTube videos of Carolina Pitmasters shoveling coals under a whole hog that you don’t get pushing a button and Dialing in a temp.

I think the answer is both

I would say the genie could no longer be put back in the bottle once Walmart started selling them.

Pellets aren’t going anywhere but they definitely aren’t replacing charcoal or wood. That’s crazy talk. If anything is going away it’s gas but that’s going to be a while. Automation in general will be becoming more popular and reliable though.

It's like propane grills. A lot of people replaced their charcoal kettle with a gas grill. More people have grills as a result.

Pellet poopers are the same. Same guys replace, others jump in who have never before.

Different strokes for different folks.

I love my MAK. I love my Primo. I love my WSM. I want to get a gravity fed. I want to get a stick burner. I want to get......

The technology is superior and getting better all the time. Pellet cookers are here to stay.

But CD's, DVD's, BlueRay, MP3 etc. still hasn't "replaced" vinyl for the die-hards. That's the way this story will go IMHO.

Fad or future?

Yes!

That being said though, I agree with Brent, they will replace a TON of gassers in the future. Convenient as gas with better flavor and more options, they’re a winner!

I think pellet smokers are a gateway drug.

I started with the Traeger because it was cheap and easy...then I found all you FARKERs, spent about $1,500 on new equipment and trashed the Traeger!

I currently have an Old Country Pecos for smoking, and a Weber kettle for grilling. I would like to add a pellet pooper and UDC to the lineup at some point for the set it and forget it convenience those times I don't have 4-12+ hours to dedicate to running the Pecos, however I feel that I will ALWAYS have an offset stick burner in my lineup.

As much as I love managing a fire, the pellet still has it's place in my home. Sometimes sleep is more important when you can still get a pretty good outcome. Pellets are here to stay, but they'll never replace wood. But, that's not really their intention either. It's just convenience.

I see pellets killing the kamado grills. Kamado fad is over.

I think it will be both. They are everywhere. Even a local electronics store near me has a bbq section with Green Eggs and Treager grills. The reason I got my PitBoss is because I wanted a grill that my wife could start to replace the gasser that was rusted out, and I enjoy smoking too. That sold me on the idea, and then I got a christmas gift from my wife and dad (dad transported the grill in his truck and bought me a couple bags of pellets). I have had a few disappointments and learning experiences, but I like the convenience, and the versatility of cooking the best. My copperhead purchase was due to peer pressure from you Brick-Cheap-Seak guys. I gave in. Anyway, it is not my only way to cook, but it is filling in the time that I spend shuffling kids, homework, and all my family stuff. I still have a couple of other types of cookers though, to prepare me for retirement in 80 years...give or take 20 or 30

I see pellet grills pulling from every category of the current market-share... from the stick burner guys/gals, to the charcoal/chunk guys/gals to the gas grill guys/gals. Why is this so? Convenience and results. Bottom line, it seems to me that there is something attractive about pellet grills to a wider audience than any other type of grill/smoker on the market today... and because of this, I find it hard to believe that pellet grills are a passing fad. I have had every major category of cooker go through my backyard over the past 25 years. Many of them I have enjoyed the heck out of... but none have allowed me to cook more often and with more consistently tasty results than my pellet grill/smoker. I can assure you that "lust" is not the reason I cook on a pellet grill... no, it's quite the opposite. I have found pellet grills to allow me to cook way more often for the ones I "love" and free up huge chunks of time to be more involved with friends/family all while still producing a very desirable end result. A win win if you ask me :) That said, I am still a charcoal junkie at heart. I just cannot see myself without some type of "manual drive" cooker in my backyard. Love my 26" kettle! :)

What I like about the pellet grill is the consistently good results. I have owned my Mak. for 8 months now, use it multiple times a week, and I still haven’t farked up a meal yet. This idiot likes idiot proof grills lol.

I have 0 interest.

Going by my track record they're here to stay.

They have their niche. They are not going anywhere, just like gas grills are not going anywhere.

Back