Need help from a Metal Fabricator

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I can't find a place to buy what I'm looking for, so I need a person who can fabricate metal to help me out with this grilling accessory...

I want a burger press that I can use on a griddle surface to form hamburger patties. I need it to be 6" in diameter with a lip that is 3/8" deep that will allow me to press a ball of ground beef into a perfectly round patty while on the hot griddle. It obviously needs a handle as well. I'd like the press part to be made out of 3/16" steel and the handle could be made out of whatever is strong enough to last a lifetime...

Any thoughts or possible helpers?

try welding shops. i had a guy that could/would make just about anything.

I'm just tryting to understand...you're wanting to press the meat flat as the ball sits on the grate and not press it and then put it on the grate?

JM, I love this idea! The challange with the finished product is making sure the cook can remove the burger easily enough. My suggestion would be a 2 piece system. A base griddle with "rings" that would "lock" onto the griddle. When it was time to flip the burger, you could remove the ring and flip the burger.

I know of metal rings that are made for home made egg mc muffin (see link below).
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/pro...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CJGv9Kr137ICFWlnOgod0CAAGw

Just re-read and caught the "griddle" part of the paragraph! Now I understand the open bottom concept!!!

I'm still curious though...why not preform the patties and have a heavy piece of steel to put on top of the patties to cause more surface area connection/carmelazation?

Here's what I'm after... check out the press Greg from Ballistic BBQ is using at about the 4:20 mark in this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtFEKGZmaOg"]Smashburger... MY WAY! - YouTube[/ame]

I actually prefer burgers that have been cooked on a griddle over a grill and I'd just like to try this technique. His press was custom made and I can't find anything like it for sale anywhere.

I sent email to Meyer Metal Works and will wait for his response...

Is the press in the video flat on the bottom, or is it cupped to form the burger?

Here's what I'm after... check out the press Greg from Ballistic BBQ is using at about the 4:20 mark in this video:

Smashburger... MY WAY! - YouTube

I actually prefer burgers that have been cooked on a griddle over a grill and I'd just like to try this technique. His press was custom made and I can't find anything like it for sale anywhere.

I sent email to Meyer Metal Works and will wait for his response...

Jim until you get a press made,maybe you could either use a brick wrapped in foil or a cast iron skillet an egg size skillet would work great I think.
Dave

Back