Why I no longer order from SRF

eap0510

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A while back I had ordered 8 gold briskets from SRF in the group 14-16 lbs. When the briskets arrived the heaviest one I had was a little over 15.5 lbs with most weighing under 15 lbs. Most of the flats are like the one below which I trimmed up this morning. As you can see it is extremely small and slants horribly to one side. The marbling in them was not bad but I was not impressed with it for I felt that it had about the same as their black label brand.

Then I heard about The Butcher Shoppe in Pensacola selling A9 briskets. What a difference the two companies are when compared to each other. When order from The Butcher Shoppe they go through each brisket that they have and match the best that they can to your specifications. They will send you photos of the brisket that they picked out to you so that you can confirm that it is exactly what you are looking for. Since order from them I will never go back to SRF.

Here a 14.68 brisket that I trimmed up this morning from SRF
20190210_073702_zpsfm5qsu3d.jpg

20190210_073731_zpsymdtgmdm.jpg

Now in comparison here is a 17lb from The Butcher Shoppe that I just order for a contest I am doing the first weekend in March.
i00000111_zpsri4wvl7k.jpg

i0000010_zps2waajejq.jpg

Anyone notice a difference?

I know which one i would take home if they were side by side in the grocery store. Did you call SRF?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Do they not have a website? All I se is a Facebook page.

Curious on that beautiful thick flat brisket. What is the cost per pound shipping etc?

I’ve never had an issue with SRF except one brisket that had a gash in the flat, and they took care of that without question!

I ordered from The Butcher Shoppe last year based on a recommendation and the briskets were great, but shipping was a killer! I wish they had better shipping rates.

Whats the price for the A9s?

I've never had any issues when ordering from SRF, that being said I now get my briskets from a local butcher. I see briskets everywhere, not just SRF, that have thin tapered flats.

Never ordered brisket from SRF, but their Kurabota pork is deelish.

The last one I ordered from SRF for a competition was disappointing. I swear the flat was no thicker than 1/2 an inch. I guess I blamed myself for not ordering a larger one. Interesting observation, though....

I know which one i would take home if they were side by side in the grocery store. Did you call SRF?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I did not complain so I have no one to blame but myself in that regards. I have however heard of people trying to send their brisket back for the extremely small tapered flat and had a heck of a time getting SRF to stand behind their product

Curious on that beautiful thick flat brisket. What is the cost per pound shipping etc?

I have not gotten a final price on that brisket but their briskets run 10.99 per lbs. Once I get my finial price I will let you all know the break down.

I have not gotten a final price on that brisket but their briskets run 10.99 per lbs. Once I get my finial price I will let you all know the break down.

Cool thanks. I live in the heart of cattle country so hand selection is usually not an issue. But that thing is beautiful.

I've got no beef with SRF, nor have I ever had any of their beef, but that is the really nice part about local shopping--you get to put your hands on things.

I've never seen the big issue with thin flats. They will puff up during cooking. And if you're doing comps the slices are not going to come from the tip of the flat anyways.

I only started hearing peopler complaining about thin flats when Aaaron Franklin mentioned it in a video. Same with cooking briskets to 205.

And doesn't Harry Soo win word Championships with brisket from Restaurant Depot?

I've never seen the big issue with thin flats. They will puff up during cooking. And if you're doing comps the slices are not going to come from the tip of the flat anyways.

I only started hearing peopler complaining about thin flats when Aaaron Franklin mentioned it in a video. Same with cooking briskets to 205.

And doesn't Harry Soo win word Championships with brisket from Restaurant Depot?

Which World Championship has he won?

theyre absolutely thinner than they used to be.

The funny thing about cattle, is they don't muscle out or marble the same. Even if you take 2 from the same herd and genetics, they are going to be different. So to take one brisket from one place, and compare it to, one brisket from another, is kind of silly.

I'm sure both places are selling 100's of briskets a day, and they aren't throwing out the ones with thinner flats. So If you look around, you will probably find someone unhappy with both places.

The funny thing about cattle, is they don't muscle out or marble the same. Even if you take 2 from the same herd and genetics, they are going to be different. So to take one brisket from one place, and compare it to, one brisket from another, is kind of silly.

I'm sure both places are selling 100's of briskets a day, and they aren't throwing out the ones with thinner flats. So If you look around, you will probably find someone unhappy with both places.

I am sure you are correct in that you can find someone not happy with both places. For me personally both companies are well known for supply competition teams with briskets so one would assume that you would get the cream of the crop from them. Unfortunately form my personal experience SRF appears to be lacking in receiving cream of the crop briskets.

Back