Pits by JJ Insulated Vertical Offset Stickburner

Notorious Q.U.E.

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Alright Brethren,

Just as I was getting psyched about AZ BBQ, I finally get a call back from Pits by JJ of Houston, TX 3 weeks after I left a Voicemail. To be fair to Pits by JJ, they were cleaning up from the hurricane and I totally understand/respect the delay in getting back to me.

I ended up speaking to Jose (nicknamed JJ) for an hour talking about Que, and just shooting the proverbial chit about my next dream cooker.

To recap, here's what I'm on a quest for in search of my next cooker:

1) Vertical smoker
2) Set and Forget capability
3) True blue wood flavor

Here's what he suggested:

1) Insulated vertical offset smoker
2) Insulated firebox
3) Front door to allow for direct grilling/smoking below main chamber grates
4) 30 x 30 size to accommodate double walled insulation
5) Wagon wheels to handle the weight and uneven ground of my yard
6) 2 BBQ Guru Ports for BOTH Front Door AND Insulated Firebox Chambers
7) Adjustable baffle between Firebox and Main Chamber allowing for regulation of heat/smoke

Here's some pics to get ideas of how he could create a blend of these 2 cookers. I've e-mailed more questions to him to see if he's had completed products.

Can the Brethren do me a favor and chime in on Pits by JJ? They've been around since the 90s, have a ton of videos on YouTube, but somehow haven't "caught on" here in the Brethren.

Anybody with direct experience, own one, or just know of something about Pits by JJ? This may be a killer cooker but I trust Brethren first to keep me safe before buying something sight unseen. The prices quoted are essentially half of what Gator/Klose would want for such a beast. I just want to do my darnedest to draw on Brethren knowledge, good, bad, and ugly before deciding.

Attachments

• IMG_5069.jpg
    IMG_5069.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 763
  • fullsizeoutput_159c.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_159c.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 755
Last edited:
Pretty much Czar. I figure I'm going for broke on this thing. It'd be insulated all around and he said he's able to fabricate a flip-lid grill top even on an insulated firebox, which is unique.

JJ says he'd want a thick diverter plate to direct heat/smoke into the cook chamber when not grilling over the firebox. It would occupy the grill grate rails and the insulated lid would close over it to help maintain some efficiency. I like the option of a small cook for just a quick lunch without needing to fire up the entire beast.

Rumor is this "JJ" Jose guy used to work at Klose as a welder and that's why his pits and designs are exactly like Klose. Don't quote me on that because people say Chris at LSG used to work at Gator, and that's not true. But, that's the rumor.

JJ was on my list when I was looking for an offset. I live about an hour from there. I can go take a look at his fit and finish compared to my Klose if you're serious. I'd kinda like to know myself. His prices are beyond reasonable.

Rumor is this "JJ" Jose guy used to work at Klose as a welder and that's why his pits and designs are exactly like Klose. Don't quote me on that because people say Chris at LSG used to work at Gator, and that's not true. But, that's the rumor.

JJ was on my list when I was looking for an offset. I live about an hour from there. I can go take a look at his fit and finish compared to my Klose if you're serious. I'd kinda like to know myself. His prices are beyond reasonable.

Yes Siree!! Not to put you out, but there's no substitute for first-hand intelligence in the field :)

I'd be thrilled if you got to walk around the shop and kick some tires. He's got some killer BBQ trailers but my HOA puts the stop to that.

I'm real curious about his verticals. The videos show his insulated fireboxes with wood fires burning real time. I love the thick oven-style gaskets with slam latches on those double-walled extra-thick doors.

You hit the nail on the head with the prices. I was doing the math and he's probably 55 cents on the dollar compared to Klose/Gator. If you're able to confirm that he's churning out a good cooker, then I may finally put it on the Visa credit card and be done with this.

PS The wife usually asks what I want for Christmas and Birthday (January) right after Thanksgiving so I'm awaiting my chance to pounce with asking for a vertical. I really am serious and these threads show my process spanning months with the help of you fine Brethren!

I went by their place a few months ago and the horizontal offset pit they had in the front "shop" was pretty nice. Basically identical to Klose on fit and finish for a fair amount less money. If I hadn't found a used Klose in town, I was going to get one from JJ. In my opinion you couldn't beat the price.

I guess no one patents their designs or anything? Seems to be the case when you have a pissed off co-worker who bounces to start their own fab company. Glad to know they have an actual place you can visit.. that R&O thread made me want to puke.

I guess no one patents their designs or anything? Seems to be the case when you have a pissed off co-worker who bounces to start their own fab company. Glad to know they have an actual place you can visit.. that R&O thread made me want to puke.

My thoughts exactly Czarbecue!

brettj, that's some critical info, thanks!

I am assuming Pits by JJ is a legit shop, but I've got to be careful committing to something out of state that I haven't seen in person.

Yes Siree!! Not to put you out, but there's no substitute for first-hand intelligence in the field :)

I'd be thrilled if you got to walk around the shop and kick some tires. He's got some killer BBQ trailers but my HOA puts the stop to that.

I'm real curious about his verticals. The videos show his insulated fireboxes with wood fires burning real time. I love the thick oven-style gaskets with slam latches on those double-walled extra-thick doors.

You hit the nail on the head with the prices. I was doing the math and he's probably 55 cents on the dollar compared to Klose/Gator. If you're able to confirm that he's churning out a good cooker, then I may finally put it on the Visa credit card and be done with this.

PS The wife usually asks what I want for Christmas and Birthday (January) right after Thanksgiving so I'm awaiting my chance to pounce with asking for a vertical. I really am serious and these threads show my process spanning months with the help of you fine Brethren!

I'll go tomorrow and look. I'd like to see firsthand what the quality is like myself.

Thanks Rockinar! You're doing the BBQ community a solid with some fact-finding. I'm curious if their shop is open on a Saturday. If you've even got pics, it'll be reassuring to me that it truly is a functioning BBQ fabrication shop with hopefully some good pits.

called a little while ago $650.00 shipping to west Virginia on a 24 x 48 model and about 2 to 3 week wait time not bad at all if the quality is good .....

From what I hear JJ make great pits. Have you checked this new model out from Johnson Smokers. It has concrete insulation and I think you can use logs not charcoal.http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/vertical-smoker/

I saw the Johnson vertical and it’s a handsome unit.

I’m a fan of insulated walls and firebox, which is why I’m pumped about the possibility of an all custom cooker. I also like the idea of BOTH direct and indirect vertical smoking in the same rig.

Thanks Rockinar! You're doing the BBQ community a solid with some fact-finding. I'm curious if their shop is open on a Saturday. If you've even got pics, it'll be reassuring to me that it truly is a functioning BBQ fabrication shop with hopefully some good pits.

I have driven past it countless times. I don't doubt it's a legit shop and it has been there for years. I've never stopped at it and looked around though.

They are open till 4 tomorrow. I'll take a few pics.

As many know, I am an LSG guy with a vertical offset with an insulated firebox. Absolutely love it.

I did not shop at JJ since I fell in love with LSG at first sight. BUT, JJ has been around for a long time and I bet they make fantastic cookers.

The cooker you described looks amazing. Maybe overkill but so what?

I have driven past it countless times. I don't doubt it's a legit shop and it has been there for years. I've never stopped at it and looked around though.

They are open till 4 tomorrow. I'll take a few pics.

Sweet!! Nothing quite like photo reconnaissance. Thanks in advance for your time.

As many know, I am an LSG guy with a vertical offset with an insulated firebox. Absolutely love it.

I did not shop at JJ since I fell in love with LSG at first sight. BUT, JJ has been around for a long time and I bet they make fantastic cookers.

The cooker you described looks amazing. Maybe overkill but so what?

Haha! Reason and logic left me long ago. Now it’s all about a quest for The best BBQ I can possibly make. It’s a pipe dream but maybe I can open a restaurant with the lessons learned here. In the meantime, I hope to turn out the best backyard food with the aid of some killer hardware

Haha! Reason and logic left me long ago. Now it’s all about a quest for The best BBQ I can possibly make. It’s a pipe dream but maybe I can open a restaurant with the lessons learned here. In the meantime, I hope to turn out the best backyard food with the aid of some killer hardware

We are all pulling for you!

We are all pulling for you!

Thanks amigo!

I love the LSG and thank you for the PM replies you’ve graciously written.

Overkill to the max, but JJ is saying 12+ hours on a basket of briquettes is within reach by insulating the main chamber itself. He was mentioning doing cooks on a similar rig for several hours with just four sticks of wood. It sounds wild but possible with insulating the whole rig

Back