• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

let's see those new grill grate cooks

Cold, raining and windy last night. Cooked the 2" thick chops in cast iron and then into the oven instead of using the grill grates, but I did pick up a package of New York strips from the scratch and dent section at Kroger, so those will be the inaugural cook tonight.

And we’ll see pics of tonight’s cool... right?!?! [emoji16]

You guys like grill marks just for the looks? Not to bad mouth these things, but I'd rather have one big sear mark over the entire surface of the steak. What am I missing on these things?

You guys like grill marks just for the looks? Not to bad mouth these things, but I'd rather have one big sear mark over the entire surface of the steak. What am I missing on these things?

Flip em’ upside down and you’ll produce an amazing all over “griddle” sear. I think that one of the things that sets these apart for that all over sear is the holes. The grease drips through the holes keeping the griddle surface a bit drier than a normal solid griddle surface. From my experience, this just increases the Maillard reaction :)

Here’s a pic of a simple burger cook I did awhile back...
07f897991803fde4d649f1b5b7c5df88.jpg

Another bonus that you get with GrillGrates is that you can cook over the charcoal fire for the entire duration of the cook when grilling. Being that GrillGrates have holes that allow the drippings to fall through and hit the fire... this simply means that you are getting the additional flavoring from all of those flavor bombs hitting the fire the entire time you are cooking vs much less time with a 2 zone cook :)

Last edited:

Just flip the grill grate over and that’s exactly what you get on the back side, it’s primarily how I use them, rather than pulling a cast iron griddle out.

Flip em’ upside down and you’ll produce an amazing all over “griddle” sear. I think that one of the things that sets these apart for that all over sear is the holes. The grease drips through the holes keeping the griddle surface a bit drier than a normal solid griddle surface. From my experience, this just increased the Maillard reaction :)

Another bonus that you get with GrillGrates is that you can cook over the charcoal fire for the entire duration of the cook when grilling. Being that GrillGrates have holes that allow the drippings to fall through and hit the fire... this simply means that you are getting the additional flavoring from all of those flavor bombs hitting the fire the entire time you are cooking vs much less time with a 2 zone cook :)

Ahhhhh, that's definitely cool. I didn't realize they were reversible.

That looks awesome! Can’t wait to try these. Hopefully this weekend.

Flip em’ upside down and you’ll produce an amazing all over “griddle” sear. I think that one of the things that sets these apart for that all over sear is the holes. The grease drips through the holes keeping the griddle surface a bit drier than a normal solid griddle surface. From my experience, this just increases the Maillard reaction :)

A little tri tip using grill grates on a YS640...

Attachments

• 27788349_10156973763124625_7606341346886102181_o.jpg
    27788349_10156973763124625_7606341346886102181_o.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 27625198_10156973763189625_8956582462561113727_o.jpg
    27625198_10156973763189625_8956582462561113727_o.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 44

Those look really good. To be honest, grill grates never appealed to me because based on the pics, particularly SCA style cooks, it looks like the only part of the meat surface that develops any crust are the thin bands directly in contact with the metal, and the rest is just a dull brown with no Maillard reaction. But I think I could get behind flipping them over where almost all the meat is in direct contact with metal. When I cook a steak I like a crust across 100% of the surface of the meat, usually there's no grate marks at all. I can see how they'd moderate hot spots and prevent flare ups though.

Last edited:

I would say this steak has browning and grill lines myself.

the grill grates improve the umph of a grill

here is a previous steak cook on the same cooker without them

I'd say it's an improvement. plus as noted the backside is flat

Anybody have a steak photo of an “all over sear” from flipping the GG over? And if so, given the flavor produced by such a sear, why wouldn’t one use the GG this way every time?

Such an “all over sear” is one of the big reasons why some folks push the SnS...

Anybody have a steak photo of an “all over sear” from flipping the GG over? And if so, given the flavor produced by such a sear, why wouldn’t one use the GG this way every time?

Such an “all over sear” is one of the big reasons why some folks push the SnS...

Here’s one done with the flat top portion of the grill grates on my Mak. I personally prefer flat top sears myself. It produces a wonderful bark like crust on food which adds great texture and flavor. Why someone wouldn’t like it as much as grill marks has to do with personal preference.

As a matter of fact, I just did smash burgers on Mak with the grill grates. They didn’t look as good as rwalters but the flavor was crazy good with the crust and pellet flavor!

Last edited:
So I finally got a chance to try mine.
IR Thermo was showing 450 to 550*F,
Fantastic sear, very juicy.
I went about 6 minutes per side, 1" to 1.25" steaks. Ended up medium, next time I'll do 4 minutes per side.
Very happy with them so far.

Last edited:
Back