Need help for whole fresh ham...

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello all!!

Ok...this year, I want to try it. Since I now have a smoker that is big enough, and indirect heat...I was to try to smoke a full fresh ham...or at least what I think is a whole ham....(20lbs or so?).

I saw a recent post here with a link, for a 'cured' ham..I've got some ideas from it...the brine and all, but, don't like the parts of the post dealing with boiling and such. Also, not wanting to use a commercial 'cure' with it either.

I also checked out the recipie section, and did a search on fresh ham..but, didn't come up with much.

So, any advice, timings, temps and links GREATLY appreciated!!

Cayenne

Don't want to use a commercial cure? Then you'll need access to a chemical supply house for sodium nitrite and/or nitrate. Also urge you to consider cutting into 3 or 4 smaller hams. Otherwise be prepared for about 24 straight hours of guard duty.

Mark,
Are there any other preservatives that can be used besides Nitrates? I have a medical condition and can't comsune any nitrates (I stop breathing :( )

I have been reading about this also cayenne because I'm interested in doing one.

(I hope I'm not hijacking)

Your only other option is to cook it and eat it fast!

The nitrates are preservatives and they also give the meat that classic pink "smoked ham" color.

Brine it, cook it, and pig out or freeze the rest. However, cooked pork is only good for about 3 months in the freezer - the fats go bad.

Good luck.

Just put your seasonings or Rub or inject the thing and throw in the smoker aroung 230 degrees. cook until internal temp of at least 160 degrees. I then foiled and took to 200 degrees pulled out and coolered for a few hours then slice or pull!

I cut our in half to make 10 pound pieces to shorten the cooking time. Took about an hour and a hal per pound. Rough estimate. I cook by temp.

Bellybro said:
Just put your seasonings or Rub or inject the thing and throw in the smoker aroung 230 degrees. cook until internal temp of at least 160 degrees. I then foiled and took to 200 degrees pulled out and coolered for a few hours then slice or pull!

I cut our in half to make 10 pound pieces to shorten the cooking time. Took about an hour and a hal per pound. Rough estimate. I cook by temp.

Damn, he must have had a good teacher! ;)

Thanx...

Mark said:
Don't want to use a commercial cure? Then you'll need access to a chemical supply house for sodium nitrite and/or nitrate. Also urge you to consider cutting into 3 or 4 smaller hams. Otherwise be prepared for about 24 straight hours of guard duty.

Thanks for the replies. Well, one of the reasons I don't want to use a commercial cure is.....I have nowhere to get one! I don't know anywhere around here (New Orleans) that sells the stuff...never have found a dedicated butcher shop here. I'd actually like to try the stuff, 'cause I'd like to try my hand someday at a home made corned beef and pastrami...you DO need the pink color for that.

Ok..well, gonna shoot for 24 hours cooking....whew...I'lll barely be able to stay awake for T-Day dinner. ......Especially since the ONLY Turkey at my house on Thanksgiving...is 101 PROOF

:)[/u]

I've found Tender quick at my grocery store in the spice section

Re: Thanx...

cayenne said:
......Especially since the ONLY Turkey at my house on Thanksgiving...is 101 PROOF

:)[/u]

A man that understands the value and quality of Kentucky Bourbon.

Bill - take note.

Had to quit drinking Wild Turkey, owned by a French company. Dedicated myself to Jack, Evan Williams, and Ezra Brooks. Special occasions call for Knob Creek or Woodfield Reserve.

Forgot, Makers Mark is pretty good also.

Neil said:
Had to quit drinking Wild Turkey, owned by a French company. Dedicated myself to Jack, Evan Williams, and Ezra Brooks. Special occasions call for Knob Creek or Woodfield Reserve.

Ah yes. Old Ezra Brooks. Originally made in my boyhood home town.

Ever partake of the 15yr old 101 proof stuff that comes with the cork cap?

AH.......

Neil said:
Had to quit drinking Wild Turkey, owned by a French company.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it ain't so....

Back