MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default A-MAZE-N Smoker, tube or maze?

So I've been told to put together my Christmas list recently and I want to get one of these cold smokers but I'm not sure which one. Ideally I'd like to be able to do cheese, bacon, salmon etc. So do I get the tube with the pellets or the maze with the sawdust or the maze with pellets? Help please.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
RW
Full Fledged Farker

There's a maze that works on either pellets or sawdust. I have it, and it works great in my mini-WSM for cold smoking cheese, nuts and all kinds of things.
I've used pellets and sawdust with equally good results.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/Produc...tCode=AMNPS5X8
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

My Tube just arrived this week, i've yet to try it out.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I use the maze with pellets. I get 5.5 hours is smoke when lighting both ends. Great product!

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use the Maze with pellets, lasts long, and I purchase Treager pellets from a local fireplace/bbq dealer. Much cheaper than buying pellets from A-maze-N.

If you don't have a Treager dealer near you you can get Apple, Hickory, and Mesquite pellets from doitbest.com and pick them up at a local participating hardware store with no shipping fees.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A empty bean can full o chips and a soldering iron will do the same thing.Just sayin.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

I have a dust maze which I love, but I would like the flexibility of using dust or pellet as I also have a traeger. If the option exists I'd get on that can do double duty.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

I own both and they both work well the tube for me is used the most as I can load it with pellet and it lights easy. If I could only keep one it would be the tube
jimbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

My vote is for the maze smoker, though I bet you'd be happy with either. I've used the can and soldering pen method, expand metal that worked like the maze smoker, and both methods worked well. The expanded metal worked way better though in my opinion, I just ordered the maze smoker too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
I have a dust maze which I love, but I would like the flexibility of using dust or pellet as I also have a traeger. If the option exists I'd get on that can do double duty.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
The maze smoker works with pellets or sawdust. I'm not sure but the tube smoker probably does also

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #11
MossyMO
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Marty Owens

For cold smoking the AMNPS5X8 (maze) will be the better choice for cold smoking in warmer weather as sawdust puts out less heat than pellets, but with this smoker it is nice to have the choice of using either pellets or sawdust. The maze smoker can be lit at one end or both ends which ajusts the amount of smoke it put out.

The AMNTS (tube) works fine for cold smoking in cooler temps, but only smokes with pellets. Also, a full tube smoker puts out more smoke than a maze style smoker. With a tube you can put less pellets in it and adjust the amount of smoke.
MossyMO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

I have the Amaze copy and its good.
By the tube that some have mentioned ,would that be a Smoke Daddy type thing?
I have one of them and its my preferred smoke machine.
Cheers.
Titch
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #13
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTitch View Post
I have the Amaze copy and its good.
By the tube that some have mentioned ,would that be a Smoke Daddy type thing?
I have one of them and its my preferred smoke machine.
Cheers.
Titch
Nope, not a Smoke Daddy type rig, Todd developed a stainless perforated tube that hold pellets. I think he makes two sizes. They take up less floor space in small cookers and grill setups.

One thing I like about the AMAZEN smoke is no moving parts and no electric cord hanging out of my smoker in places not intended for elecric cords to be.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #14
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

I plan on getting the 18" tube in the new year. (Christmas has to come first. ) I tried to convince my wife that if we got it now we could give smoked cheese or salmon as gifts. For reason that I just don't understand she didn't go for it.

Don't you think that's a great idea folks? I certainly feel it goes with the spirit of the season, putting others first.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
meatinc
On the road to being a farker

I have the 18" Tube and it rocks! I think this is a must have in the BBQ arsenal! I got 6 hours plus out of the tube. It would have gone longer if I didn't use the torch so much when I lit it up. I just get a little crazy when I start playing with fire