High Plains Pies on the UUNI 3 - Ongoing w/ Pr0N

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
It's another beautiful Saturday here on the High Plains. It's in the 50s with a breeze (but not a gale) blowing.

Time to experiment with some glutenous pizzas (vs. the GF Bob's Red Mill action from weeks past).

QAh52uGl.jpg

r8g2fmBh.jpg

Trying to get a rise from you folks, but I'll let it rest.

More shenanigans to come.

I haven't seen the giant bag of popcorn in quite some time, and it gave me a hearty chuckle. Thanks!

About to get working on toppings - going to try another flammkuchen, some ale-braised portobellos, and another sweet variety with pears, goat cheese, and some sort of crazy orange-fig spread that CINCHOUSE discovered this week. Friends and compatriots inbound, so the Pr0n (yes, I said it) will probably be delayed.

Y'all have a great Saturday.

More to follow.

Mornin'. Yep, the Pr0N was definitely delayed from last night. I'll grab a sip of coffee and we'll get to it.

========
Had some good friends over from our time in England. Explained to them that they were acting as guinea pigs for recipes intended for use at next weekend's Super Bowl Shindig.

- Flammkuchen - We thoroughly enjoyed this, both in Germany and in our own back yard, so we decided to put it on tonight's menu.

:idea: Instead of the regular bacon lardons, we used pancetta this time around.

noOGALyh.jpg

The dough worked well, but we're just amateurs with stretching and forming... but no matter the shape, it worked well.

Topped that "skin" with crème fraîche mixed with a pinch of nutmeg, the pancetta, sautéed onions (in that lovely pancetta grease), and a liberal sprinkling of gruyère.

sNSlSQzh.jpg

TzuG82Zh.jpg

qAw6jQnh.jpg

It was so good, we made a second pie later on in the evening!

For our next trick, we took a page from the Roosevelt Brewing Company down in Portales, NM. We're huge fans of their "Shroomer" pizza:
The Shroomer: Ale-braised button mushrooms, chopped garlic, fresh basil, and parmesean - Yes, please!

I sliced a container of baby portabellas, and whipped up some of those ale-braised mushrooms. I used a really nice Blood & Honey from Revolver Brewing, added a good couple of knobs of butter, a bit of S & P, and then just poached over med-low heat until the mushrooms absorbed all that lovely liquid and butter.

e4wRXgOh.jpg

With a brush of EVOO on the skin, on went the mushrooms, shaved elephant garlic, and parmesean cheese.

J4yuQuQh.jpg

I need to work on my basil tearing technique, but the rest of the pie made up for my lack of artistic talent.

aWKbGavh.jpg

Dessert was using this very interesting orange-fig spread I'd mentioned at the top of the original post.

sg4mcW5h.jpg

CINCHOUSE thinned a bit out using some white wine and spread it over the pears and goats cheese pie, post-bake.

E6FSrVWh.jpg

This is where I had the only "argument" with my UUNI. :tsk: The glutenous pizza dough had continued to rise after we were making pies (duh! :loco:)... and we didn't do as good a job of thinning all sides out, so...

onUU7nrh.jpg

:shock: BUT... even that side of the pie was delicious, with just a bit more crunch and a little carcinogen for flavor.

Wrapped up the night with a toast to absent friends and to those who could be here now.

to6aAJOl.jpg

Y'all have a great Sunday! Thanks for stopping by.

That Divina Fig Spread is a very nice product. Have you tried their Kalamata Fig Spread with Almonds? Sounds like a horrible idea but it is damn good. I don't tell people what it is before they try it and they love it.

That Divina Fig Spread is a very nice product. Have you tried their Kalamata Fig Spread with Almonds? Sounds like a horrible idea but it is damn good. I don't tell people what it is before they try it and they love it.

Bosslady says she found the orange-fig combo in (our little, tiny, crappy) Commissary deli-bakery corner (of all places).

So, that's kalamata olive-fig-almond? Get out of town! Sounds like a really interesting play on sweet, savoury, and a little crunchy.

Great looking pies Marc!

If you want a perfectly round pie use a lid and trim with your pizza cutter before cooking. Even when I do that by the time I try to slide it off the peel it's not round any longer so gave that up!

"The dough worked well, but we're just amateurs with stretching and forming... but no matter the shape, it worked well."

They are called rustic pies. If you want round, go buy one. My pies usually end up looking like a state or a country. I have even had one look like Florida. If they taste good, no one will care.

Back