Does basting the fat cap do anything

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm all for experimenting with brisket and saw a video a guy using a weber grill with disposable pan under the brisket fat side up and made up a mop sauce and mopped the fat side a few times.

I use a WSM and prefer water in the pan and last one against recommendations I put it fat side up this time for about 6 hours at well over 300 degrees and finished it wrapped in butcher paper, rested it in a warmed 200 degree oven, shut off resting on a drip pan and turned out the best one I did I think.

I could mop some dales seasoning or a broth but just don't know if that impacts flavor? But I remember I did this on ribs bone side up for an hour and remember it tasted good. I never believed spraying or mopping actually penetrated the meat after it's already semi cooked but a puddle of of resting on top can because of the fumes? But this supposedly has been debunked putting liquid flavors of your choice in the water pan so now I'm confused.

Thanks.

In my opinion basting a brisket accomplishes 3 things. It wastes time and money, in addition to letting heat out of the pit.

Keep it simple, season, cook, pull when tender, enjoy. If you have to do a bunch of crazy chit to enjoy a brisket or anything else for that matter, I suggest finding something else more enjoyable to cook and eat.

Back