MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #406
PanchR103
Got rid of the matchlight.

This post is great and helped me tremendously last year. Quick question, what size bird was this? I'm doing a pretty big bird this year (20 lbs.) and am curious what kind of cook time to expect at a temperature of 300-325. Thanks again! Still gathering my own info to be able to make my tweaks.
PanchR103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #407
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer8153 View Post
If I am going to smoke 2 turkey breasts at the same time (same weight), do I allow time for one or double it??

I will use internal temp for the exact doneness.

I am getting confused thinking about it!!
I don't think you need to add much time at all just because you're doing two.
If you think about it, the smoker is at a certain temp and whether you have one or 2 or 18 breasts in the smoker, they'll each, individually, cook at the same rate, independent upon each other.

It's the same thing with briskets or butts or whatever.
If I fire my big smoker to 250 and I put one butt on there, it will take about 10 hours to cook. If I put 6 on the smoker, they'll all still take about 10 hours, providing the air and heat movement in the smoker is unchanged.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #408
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchR103 View Post
This post is great and helped me tremendously last year. Quick question, what size bird was this? I'm doing a pretty big bird this year (20 lbs.) and am curious what kind of cook time to expect at a temperature of 300-325. Thanks again! Still gathering my own info to be able to make my tweaks.
If you just google "cook times for a turkey at _____ degrees" you'll get all kinds of stuff.

I just got the following chart from such a search from THIS SITE:

Cook times for a turkey at 325 degrees:

Unstuffed
4 to 8 pounds (breast) 1 1/2 to 3 1/4 hours
8 to 12 pounds 2 3/4 to 3 hours
12 to 14 pounds 3 to 3 3/4 hours
14 to 18 pounds 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 hours
18 to 20 pounds 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hours
20 to 24 pounds 4 1/2 to 5 hours

Stuffed
4 to 6 pounds (breast) Not usually applicable
6 to 8 pounds (breast) 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours
8 to 12 pounds 3 to 3 1/2 hours
12 to 14 pounds 3 1/2 to 4 hours
14 to 18 pounds 4 to 4 1/4 hours
18 to 20 pounds 4 1/4 to 4 3/4 hours
20 to 24 pounds 4 3/4 to 5 1/4 hours

Most searches will yield results based on OVEN cooking times and temps, but a smoker is just an oven with live fire and smoke, so these results will be the same.

Keep in mind, these aren't exact times, but they're a good start. From my experience, these are pretty accurate and will give you a good place to plan from. Also keep in mind that if the bird gets done a little before you're ready to carve, a whole turkey (especially one that big) will hold temp for a good while on the counter. I usually plan for my turkeys to be done at least one hour prior to dinner time. I'll just cover it in the pan with foil and sit it on the counter while I make gravy, finish up sides, etc. Then I unwrap it and carve it just before we eat. Even sitting for an hour, it's still usually too hot to touch.

Good luck!

Old 11-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #409
rogwadd
On the road to being a farker

I've got questions about gravy.

I'm doing a dry brine and cooking on my kettle. I'm then going to rest/hold for what is expected to be not more than an hour when we meet at a friend's house for an "orphan's" dinner.

Anyone have experience with holding gravy for that hour? Can I do the bulk of preparation at home and finish it up at the friend's house? What's the best way of working with the drippings that remain in a disposable aluminum roasting pan? Can it be done on the stove top? Do I try to release all those goodies in the oven? Or scrape what I can into another vessel? Would love to hear other's experiences/suggestions.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #410
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

I'm embarrassed asking, but....

Can I brine a turkey in a new, clean trash bag?
They seem like they'd be sanitary, but obviously wouldn't need to be for their intended purpose.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #411
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
I'm embarrassed asking, but....

Can I brine a turkey in a new, clean trash bag?
They seem like they'd be sanitary, but obviously wouldn't need to be for their intended purpose.
You can do whatever you want, but it's not food safe. Here is a good article.
Food Grade Plastic Containers For Brining
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #412
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Awesome, thank you!
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #413
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks Wampus, great thread!

I have a 21.4 pound turkey in a brine right now. My first time brining. Gonna pull it tonight and let it tighten up over night.

My question is about injecting butter. Do you just melt it and inject it all over? Do you add any spices too it? Any tips would be appreciated...
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #414
Strike BBQ

My quick question - my turkey is still mostly frozen (even after 5 days in the fridge). I put it in the apple brine anyway. Has anyone else gone through this?
Strike BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #415
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Thanks Wampus, great thread!

I have a 21.4 pound turkey in a brine right now. My first time brining. Gonna pull it tonight and let it tighten up over night.

My question is about injecting butter. Do you just melt it and inject it all over? Do you add any spices too it? Any tips would be appreciated...
I have added stuff to the butter, but don't any more.
I just melt a stick of butter and inject it all over.
I've chopped up herbs and I've added rub to the butter. The biggest pain for me was that the herbs would clog the injector.

I always figure that I'm getting the biggest boost in flavor and moisture by the brine and whatever seasoning I'm using on the turkey. The butter is mainly for texture and fat, so I just stick with straight butter.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #416
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike BBQ View Post
My quick question - my turkey is still mostly frozen (even after 5 days in the fridge). I put it in the apple brine anyway. Has anyone else gone through this?
Yep...just last night.

I started thawing my turkeys (I'm doing two, each about 13.5 lbs) on Saturday. When I unwrapped em last night, the insides were still a bit frozen. In fact, I had to really work to get the neck and giblet packet out because it was iced in place.

I always just figured that the brine will help finish the thaw. I just use cold water and don't add ice to it. The turkey will cool the brine down and since it's always going straight back to the fridge, I don't worry a lot about the brine being ice cold.

You can run cold water over and through the cavity of the turkey to accelerate the thawing just before dunking it in the brine, but if you didn't, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #417
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
You can do whatever you want, but it's not food safe. Here is a good article.
Food Grade Plastic Containers For Brining
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

^^^^good article^^^^

I didn't know all that.
I've used double garbage bags as liners to a 5 gallon bucket before.

OOPS!

Old 11-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #418
Strike BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Yep...just last night.

I started thawing my turkeys (I'm doing two, each about 13.5 lbs) on Saturday. When I unwrapped em last night, the insides were still a bit frozen. In fact, I had to really work to get the neck and giblet packet out because it was iced in place.

I always just figured that the brine will help finish the thaw. I just use cold water and don't add ice to it. The turkey will cool the brine down and since it's always going straight back to the fridge, I don't worry a lot about the brine being ice cold.

You can run cold water over and through the cavity of the turkey to accelerate the thawing just before dunking it in the brine, but if you didn't, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
I could not even get the neck and giblets out. I hope the brine works it way into the cavity as it thaws.
Strike BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #419
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooly D View Post
Any dorks like me who have a salometer and measure the brine strength? I've seen conflicting thoughts on a good strength - some say 21 degrees others say upwards of 30 degrees.

Also, anyone ever have issues with the meat being "watery" and flavorless?
Doesn't make you a dork if you have one, but if it does I'm a dork too. Salinometer are a must if you're going to do any of the real deep science of brining or even fermentation.

Here's a page I use all the time, it explains below the table how to use the information, look for the suggestion on "strength of brine."

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/saus...g/making-brine

Hope that helps.

Mr. Brining :D
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #420
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
^^^^good article^^^^

I didn't know all that.
I've used double garbage bags as liners to a 5 gallon bucket before.

OOPS!
Heh! I have used garbage bags and Home Depot buckets. And still do! Just call us rebels...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->