MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #31
mcyork28
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey3115 View Post
Lang quote came in at $500. That puts it right at the same cost as the LSG after $300 shipping.
Thanks, that's in the ball park of I thought it would be.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Blackstone 24
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #32
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Those pits are not 1/4". At least the one I owned 5 years ago wasn't. It was a good smoker and we got a ton of use out of it but I'm going to try something else this time around.
Damn Sure Are. Brazos is 1/4”. Pecos is 14 gauge. Wrangler II is 14 gauge. Wrangler is 11 gauge. Over n Under is 14 gauge. Smokehouse is 14 gauge (except mine ) Angus is 3/16”.............

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #33
Steve S
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
My local HD had this on the floor and I hate to admit that I stood there and played with it for far too long.

You'll go blind.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #34
Casey3115
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
They are owned by Sawtooth Pellet Grills, the difference in the pellet grills is the Outlaw is a made from 1/4" steel, don't know anything about that offset.
The Portland BBQ shop said that outlaw only has one model and it's about 6-8 week lead time. He also said he just sold the smoker he had in hand so he would have another in 6-8 weeks I could come look at.
I'll reach out to outlaw as well and confirm all that.
Portland BBQ said they sell them for $1499.
Casey3115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #35
KevinJ

Quote:
The Portland BBQ shop said that outlaw only has one model and it's about 6-8 week lead time. He also said he just sold the smoker he had in hand so he would have another in 6-8 weeks I could come look at.
I'll reach out to outlaw as well and confirm all that.
Portland BBQ said they sell them for $1499.
Never owned an offset but more than likely will one day, a couple of things that bother me about the Outlaw is the exhaust placement above the grate, no upper grate and the length of the stack seems too short but I'm no expert.

All American Moinkballer
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #36
Casey3115
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Damn Sure Are. Brazos is 1/4”. Pecos is 14 gauge. Wrangler II is 14 gauge. Wrangler is 11 gauge. Over n Under is 14 gauge. Smokehouse is 14 gauge (except mine ) Angus is 3/16”.............
My mistake. I haven't owned or used a brazos specifically. 14ga or so is about what I remember however.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #37
SmittyJonz

I Would get the New 20”x 42” LSG. Save a lil longer like several have said or partial finance -whatever. Doesn’t sound like you’ll be Happy with anything on lower end and it’s the Best Deal going on a Quality Pit.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #38
Casey3115
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I Would get the New 20”x 42” LSG. Save a lil longer like several have said or partial finance -whatever. Doesn’t sound like you’ll be Happy with anything on lower end and it’s the Best Deal going on a Quality Pit.
I think you are right. I was planning 36". 42" is only another 100 though, just didn't think I needed that much capacity. Hmmm.
I'm going to send out some models I have been working on to get the metal quoted for building one as well. Now that the Yoder's are off the table and I'm basically at the point of spending 2k after shopping I may just go that route.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #39
Casey3115
Got Wood.

I am wondering what all of you think about having a cooking grate over the fire box. Do you guys get a lot of use out of it? If so what are you typically using it for. I never used it in my old smoker so I am not sure why the fire box design of the LSG caught my eye.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #40
ferdelious
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Matt

Quote:
I am wondering what all of you think about having a cooking grate over the fire box. Do you guys get a lot of use out of it? If so what are you typically using it for. I never used it in my old smoker so I am not sure why the fire box design of the LSG caught my eye.

I always have good intentions of using it to cook some steaks or chicken after a long bbq but I usually have too much meat made anyway. I'm mostly lazy and stick with the Weber gasser when doing direct grilling.

If you do a lot of direct grilling with charcoal then I would say it's a good option to have.
ferdelious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #41
SWMN
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : SLZ

This is going to be contrary to what's already been said in this thread.

I love my Yoder Loaded Wichita.

Once I get a fire going (with a chimney of charcoal) and start burning some splits, it works amazingly. I preheat a split in the firebox when the fire is going and they ignite instantly when I put them on the fire. It loves to burn around 275 degrees (using red oak) with very thin and sometimes no visible smoke coming out of the exhaust.

The only time I have to crack the door is if I use one of the big, wetter splits that I have. If I use the smaller (soda can-ish sized) dry stuff that you're supposed to use it burns just fine with the door shut and the butterfly vent 1/2 shut.

I've read the same massive thread here on the drafting issues. That thread was written a while ago and Yoder has since changed the size of the butterfly vent on the Wichita.

The longest I've run mine is 16 hours and it worked great the whole time. I think it is like most any cooker... once you learn how it works and you get used to the vent settings, it is easy-peasy to make it work for you.

Shoot me a message if you have any questions. I'd be glad to help you out!

20180617_103531.jpg

IMG_20180618_123255.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180421_113404.jpg (75.6 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by SWMN; 07-11-2018 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Some of the typing looked like I was wearing mittens when I wrote it.
SWMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #42
PnkPanther
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMN View Post

Once I get a fire going (with a chimney of charcoal) and start burning some splits, it works amazingly. I preheat a split in the firebox when the fire is going and they ignite instantly when I put them on the fire. It loves to burn around 275 degrees (using red oak) with very think and sometimes no visible smoke coming out of the exhaust.

The only time I have to crack the door is if I one of the big, wetter splits that I have. If I use the smaller (soda can-ish sized) dry stuff that you're supposed to use it burns just fine with the door shut and the butterfly vent 1/2 shut.

I've read the same massive thread here on the drafting issues. That thread was written a while ago and Yoder has since changed the size of the butterfly vent on the Wichita.

The longest I've run mine is 16 hours and it worked great the whole time. I think it is like most any cooker... once you learn how it works and you get used to the vent settings, it is easy-peasy to make it work for you.

Attachment 161335

Attachment 161337

I've been waiting for you to chime in, glad you're having luck with it

Old 07-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #43
Casey3115
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMN View Post

Once I get a fire going (with a chimney of charcoal) and start burning some splits, it works amazingly. I preheat a split in the firebox when the fire is going and they ignite instantly when I put them on the fire. It loves to burn around 275 degrees (using red oak) with very thin and sometimes no visible smoke coming out of the exhaust.

The only time I have to crack the door is if I use one of the big, wetter splits that I have. If I use the smaller (soda can-ish sized) dry stuff that you're supposed to use it burns just fine with the door shut and the butterfly vent 1/2 shut.

Attachment 161335

Attachment 161337
Way to confuse the issue! Lol. Thanks for the input. I love the look and build quality of them. And I can buy it from a local bbq shop.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #44
SWMN
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : SLZ

Quote:
Way to confuse the issue! Lol. Thanks for the input. I love the look and build quality of them. And I can buy it from a local bbq shop.
I didn't want to make your choice too easy. :)

I fell in love with the look and build quality as well. A few years went by before I could get one and when I could, I grabbed one as quick as possible. While I was waiting for it to be built, I started reading up and got the ****e scared out of me. I thought I'd bought an expensive chunk of scrap metal.

Something is a lot different than it was back when they were complaining about how they couldn't keep a fire going.

I'd say don't rule one out yet... especially since you can pick one up locally! I had to wait three months for mine.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #45
MN-QUE
Got Wood.

Love my Lang 36 Hybrid. Loaded 50 to 60 lbs of meat with some room to spare. Shipping can be expensive but I felt is was worth it instead of buying another big box off set. That thing is a tank at 1000+ pounds.
MN-QUE is offline   Reply With Quote