MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
btcg
Babbling Farker

Default Sausage Making

Inspired by various brothers here, my sausage making gear arrived today:

Lucky day... my plowboys rubs arrived today, too. No casings yet, though. Maybe tomorrow.

Great day! Now to hone those sausage making skills.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

You, Sir, are venturing into territory unknown to me. I wish you much luck, and success!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
GldnKniteofBBQ
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Danny

i too have yet to make my own sausages and im sure i will eventually splash into it. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnKniteofBBQ View Post
i too have yet to make my own sausages and im sure i will eventually splash into it. Keep us posted on how it goes!
I ordered the book "Home Sausage Making", good thing. Sausage making is brand new to me, too. Some of the recent examples posted were amazing. I can only hope to do half as well. You wonder how long it took to get the kind of results we've seen here, of late.

Guess we'll see how I do.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

I recently tried my hand at sausage making. It was harder than I expected it to be. I'm going to try again soon and hopefully will have worked out some of the kinks. I have to ask (and perhaps this is one indication that I don't know what I'm doing), but how does the pressure cooker factor into sausage making.

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bander7003 View Post
I recently tried my hand at sausage making. It was harder than I expected it to be. I'm going to try again soon and hopefully will have worked out some of the kinks. I have to ask (and perhaps this is one indication that I don't know what I'm doing), but how does the pressure cooker factor into sausage making.
It figures in because my brisket has been soaking for 13 days now, and tomorrow, I'm turning it into corned beef. I want to be able to steam heat the corned beef.

Also bought another flat brisket (stores are loaded with leftover brisket from St. Paddy's Day), and plan on starting another pastrami tomorrow. Did the foil steam last time. This time, I'm doin it properly.

Went to Bed Bath & Beyond, and they didn't have a single pressure cooker in the store. So as long as I was ordering the meat grinder & stuff, I ordered the pressure cooker.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Good looking gear. You're going to get hooked! I did 6lbs of german/italian sausage today. Best investment ever.
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

Good to know that you can still find pressure cookers. I've looked at stores before with no luck.

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bander7003 View Post
Good to know that you can still find pressure cookers. I've looked at stores before with no luck.
Only on Amazon.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
Good looking gear. You're going to get hooked! I did 6lbs of german/italian sausage today. Best investment ever.
Cool! It's the tieing off part that especially worries me. In the videos I saw, they saw, "reverse twist" every other casing as you're doing it. But if you reverse twist, how do you stop the previous one from unwinding?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 PM   #11
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
Cool! It's the tieing off part that especially worries me. In the videos I saw, they saw, "reverse twist" every other casing as you're doing it. But if you reverse twist, how do you stop the previous one from unwinding?
btcg,
welcome to the wonderful world of sausage making. your library can be your friend. I've found lots of good books there on sausage making. I ended up buying a few but wanted to check them out first.

the twisting thing takes some practice. what i do is "pinch" each sausage as its coming off the stuffer tube at the appropriate length, say 6 to 8 inches. I pinch between thumb and forefinger and hold it till the next sausage has about inch or 2 of sausage in it, then let go. After the whole casing is filled , then I twist every other one the opposite direction while holding the ones on either side to keep from twisting. hope this makes sense.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #12
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
btcg,
welcome to the wonderful world of sausage making. your library can be your friend. I've found lots of good books there on sausage making. I ended up buying a few but wanted to check them out first.

the twisting thing takes some practice. what i do is "pinch" each sausage as its coming off the stuffer tube at the appropriate length, say 6 to 8 inches. I pinch between thumb and forefinger and hold it till the next sausage has about inch or 2 of sausage in it, then let go. After the whole casing is filled , then I twist every other one the opposite direction while holding the ones on either side to keep from twisting. hope this makes sense.
Yeah, it does make sense. Thanks Mike, great tips.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
btcg,

What he said!

BTW, collagen casings suck. Natural are waaaaaay better.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
What he said!

BTW, collagen casings suck. Natural are waaaaaay better.
Yeah, I think it was Mike that I asked about that on another thread, the one that had his chicken sausages. I ordered the hog casings. Haven't gottem em yet, so if they take a while, I may have to do my first batch as patties.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I have a big pdf file on sausage recipes. I just dont know where to host it so people can upload it. Any help?