Mixon H2O with Charcoal

AlanK

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi,
I am considering a Myron Mixon H2O smoker. I know the recommendation is to use a bed if charcoal and add wood every 45 minutes. I don't want to have to add wood very 45 minutes, so i wanted to know if anybody uses it with lump charcoal and wood chunks for flavor? If so, how well does it work that way? I know the concern is that there may not be enough btu'a.
Thanks,
Alan

I'm guessing that would eat a lot of charcoal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hi,
I am considering a Myron Mixon H2O smoker. I know the recommendation is to use a bed if charcoal and add wood every 45 minutes. I don't want to have to add wood very 45 minutes, so i wanted to know if anybody uses it with lump charcoal and wood chunks for flavor? If so, how well does it work that way? I know the concern is that there may not be enough btu'a.
Thanks,
Alan

There are lots of cabinet smokers designed to do exactly what you want with no babysitting.

The H2O smokers are stickburners, so while you can run them with charcoal and wood chunks, you're going to burn through charcoal at the cyclic rate and have to add a lit chimney every 45-60 minutes.

As others are saying you would probably be better off with a cabinet smoker, a gravity feed smoker, or maybe even a pellet grill. Mixon offers most of those types of smokers so if you're dead set on buy a Mixon smoker you an still do so.

Myron will be the first one to tell you that using just charcoal is no bueno.

The only use for charcoal is to get it started. With the H2O series you NEED to have 2 things.
#1. WATER, WATER, WATER!!! If you don't use or if you don't keep enough water in the cooker it will WARP that water pan and then you have to get it cut out and a new one welded in. Might as well buy a new one if that happens.

#2 WOOD!!!!! You buy these because you wanted a water cooker. The ONLY way to get the use out of that water pan is to have flames hitting the bottom of that water pan. You don't get that with charcoal. You NEED to have those flames for the water to boil to get the desired cooking results with this cooker.

Otherwise what's the point? Get an gravity fed or a pellet smoker to achieve
the results that you are looking for.

Hi,
Thanks,
Alan

Why aren't you looking at the gravity-fed model? That sounds more like what you are describing.

I have the G-9 (his smallest gravity fed/cabinet)...thing runs like a champ, even in the dead of winter. DigiQ or something like it is a must.

Why? Does it not draft well?

I'd love to read a review of your G9 and see any cooks you have done with it as
I'm thinking about one of those myself.

I don't have a G9, but I have a G20. I use a FlameBoss with mine. I haven't run it without a controller, so can't speak to whether it drafts well or not. I know it is rock solid with the controller and if spending that much on a cooker, you can scrounge up some pennies for a controller.

Cook pics in links below:

https://twitter.com/morningwoodbbq

https://www.instagram.com/morningwoodbbq/

I don't have a G9, but I have a G20. I use a FlameBoss with mine. I haven't run it without a controller, so can't speak to whether it drafts well or not. I know it is rock solid with the controller and if spending that much on a cooker, you can scrounge up some pennies for a controller.

Cook pics in links below:

https://twitter.com/morningwoodbbq

https://www.instagram.com/morningwoodbbq/

How does the G9 compare to the G20? Just an extra shelf for more competition capacity?

How does the G9 compare to the G20? Just an extra shelf for more competition capacity?

Max of 6 racks in G9
Max of 9 racks in G20
All racks are the same size

Bigger charcoal chute in the G20 (height, not diameter)

G20 more expensive.

Rest is all just about the same.

Myron said (I believe in an informational video for the "G" series) that one would have a heck of a time getting the unit up to temp without a controller. I've never tried to bring it up to temp without one. My last cook, however, the (7 year old) DigiQ quit on me shortly after the cooker came up to temp. I was going to scrap the cook but decided to find out what the G9 would do without the controller. It worked great...chugged along around 260-270 degrees with very minimal effort on my part (adjusting the intake ball valve in small increments). I don't have any cook pics, but I can say that I'm quite happy with the G9. The cooker is very well insulated allowing me to cook anytime throughout the year...even during the nastiest times of a New England winter.

Back