MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #511
NRF
On the road to being a farker

Default Another one joins the club...

I have been telling my better half about this guy who did this wonderfull review of "that egg- like grill we saw at Lowe's last week". Took me a few days to feel like I may have won her over on the idea- well she calls me from a nearby Lowes on her lunch time today to tell me she just tried to buy the last one, but it wont fit in her trunk and if she leaves it they will put it back on the floor... Well, let's just say it is sitting in the back of my pick up as I type.

Thanks JM- and fellow Bretheren- I doubt I'd have taken a chance without the work you have done thus far.
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #512
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

JM, any tips on how you bent the expanded metal? I have some left over from building a charcoal basket for a UDS.......but it's heavier gauge (#9) than what you used. Nice idea.
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #513
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
JM, any tips on how you bent the expanded metal? I have some left over from building a charcoal basket for a UDS.......but it's heavier gauge (#9) than what you used. Nice idea.
I drew the line where I wanted to bend and cut through a couple of the expanded metal pieces iwith my angle grinder and cutoff wheel to create a perforation and it bent very easily.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #514
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

I finally got mine today and put it together. Whil I was seasoning the grill. I decided to stick one maverick probe in there and moniter the accuracy of the lid thermo. It was whithin 5 degrees all the way up to 330. That's were it settled in and I left it. Pretty happy

Old 05-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #515
jrb03
Full Fledged Farker

Just a quick warning, got a package full of disappointment! The ceramic heat diffuser from chargriller only fits the new "akorn" model. I have the king griller from last year, it only has 2 tabs in the fire bowl. The diffuser is designed using three tabs which the akorn has.

Pitmaker Vault
Pitmaker Grill-Meister

Backwoods Party
Backwoods Chubby

Weber Performer
WSM
Weber Smokey Joe Gold

Good Riddence
Peppercookers Trailer Offset
Chargriller Tailgate Grill
jrb03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #516
Backyard_Griller
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Portable Kitchen (PK) or Akorn grill?

Hi, I'm new here and am in the market for a new grill and until I heard about the Akorn, I was dead set on a PK grill. Now i'm quite perplexed... Those that have used or have the PK grill, what are the advantages or disadvantages of one over the other? Also, those that have owned the Char-griller Akorn for a couple years now, are you noticing any rust or any other problems that have come up? I'm looking for something that will last 10+ years and not break the bank too much. Thanks in advance! Happy Grilling!
Backyard_Griller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #517
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I think 10 years might be a bit on the wishful side for the Akorn. It's hard to tell because it's a new product. If you keep it clean and covered and out of the weather, you might be able to get that. I think it could be done with the right amount of effort and TLC but it might also be a stretch.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #518
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

It would probably last 20 years if kept in the garage and never used. It is a tool, and a good tool, but like all tools they are meant to be used. If taken care of properly, you will get your moneys worth, if it only lasts 5 years. YMMV

Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #519
cdn
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
sandwich it between 2 2x4 or 2x6s using a c-clamp on each end then hammer it to a 90 deg. bend
cdn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #520
cdn
Knows what a fatty is.

Default rain hat for the akorn

here's a little idea i came up with for the rainy day cooking on the akorn, i took a metal coffee can cut a notch out around the damper handle put a handle on it, fits well !! hope it keeps rain out...!!

cdn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #521
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Brilliant!
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #522
tonydp
Found some matches.

Still can't adjust/align the lid properly, ugh.
tonydp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #523
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydp View Post
Still can't adjust/align the lid properly, ugh.
Me neither

Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #524
snook806
On the road to being a farker

Well the warden let me pull the trigger yesterday so I didn't hesitate and I went to Lowe's and bought the Akorn. Been watching JMSetzler videos about the kamado along with others and can't wait to try all these different recipes. Well when I got home from Lowe's, I set it up right away and seasoned the akorn then I prepared some ribs for the first cook. I went with JM's recommendation and used a pizza pan as a diffuser. I set the ribs on once the akorn reached 220 or so but it settled in at 265 for the first 2 hours of the cook. Once I opened the akorn to check the ribs at the 3 hour mark, I noticed that the temp kept creeping up after that. It's my first cook on the akorn so I still have learning to do but I have to say the ribs were the best ribs I have ever cooked and the wife agreed.

Attachment 64277

Attachment 64278

Attachment 64279

Attachment 64280

Last edited by snook806; 01-12-2014 at 06:58 PM..
snook806 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #525
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdad1 View Post
In Minnesota check Lowes & Menards. Lowes is black with steel tables, Menards is red with wood tables. Keep in mind that my local Menards had last years model with the (not as desirable) thin steel top vent on display.

Picked up a red one at menards. Not sure if I got the old style top or not.
Cooks pretty well but I do need to do the seal mods as its a little hard to keep the temps down even with the vents closed up. You also don't need to put much charcoal in this sucker. Its as frugal on fuel as a turbo diesel VW, where my reverse flow is like my big F-350. It will haul the mail but it wants its fuel. Really happy with it so far.

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado