MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT
Default Knife for Chicken Skins

Hey all, I've been using those cheap Kiwi knives from the restaurant supply for many years to scrape my comp chicken skins. They work great, like little razor blades, but I'm tired of always replacing them after I use them to death. I'm looking to upgrade to a nice quality knife that would perform just as good. Something sharp, light, thin, holds an edge all day. Does anybody have any upgrade suggestions? What do you alls use to remove fat from your skins?

BTW I did my first comp of the year this past weekend and got my arse clobbered. I violated every rule I ever learned about comp BBQ; I cooked on an untested pit (fail), I relied on tech to wake me up (it didn't), I changed my chicken game plan last minute which lead me to completely FORGET to season my chicken! I seriously turned in unseasoned chicken, only sauce. I didn't realize it until after I turned in my ribs, DOH! 5 teams scored lower in chicken so they must have really screwed up! lol.

Cheers to the next comp!
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-27-2020, 09:08 PM   #2
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

Simply dont scrape.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2020, 07:08 AM   #3
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

6" Filet knife?
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
BoneDaddy's
Take a breath!

Any knife will dull, so just sharpen it.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #5
mcbrew13
On the road to being a farker

Work on a process that does not require completely scraping the skin - lot flavor there.

I use a couple of these and keep them sharp (key part).....
Wusthof Pro Semi-Stiff Curved Boning Knife, 6-Inch

Also use this knife to trim all the other meats. I think a couple of these and a good slicing knife are about all you need for BBQ.
mcbrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #6
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

Back when I did thighs and scrapped the skins I used a paint scraper from Home Depot like this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-5-...-HDX/206458389

It took a moment to get use to being able to scrape the skins without ripping them but once I got the hang of it I was able to process 20 thighs in about 15-30 minutes. The time really depended on how picky I was being when I processed them.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #7
long haired hippie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

Are we trying to turn Q into a science?
RELAX & buy a whetstone.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #8
didisea
Take a breath!

I've used a Havalon Baracuta knife for many years. It has replacement blades you can buy, so when it gets dull, you just replace the blade. The same handle accommodates a couple of different blade profiles, but I like the 127XT blades for chicken. It also is really good at taking the silver skin off brisket, pork and ribs. Amazon or Cabelas has them. When you first put a new blade on, you have to be careful because its so sharp that you can rip your chicken skin more easily than when it gets a little duller.

https://www.amazon.com/Havalon-HV127...s%2C207&sr=8-5
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #9
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

To those who are helpful, thanks for the tips.

Good idea on the Havalon and the paint scraper. With the kiwi I'm able to cut between the fat layer and skin because the knife is so thin, I never really needed to scratch at it. I might try that.

Also I've tried various boning knives over the years and they just dont seem to work for me. I do all of my trimming with a Victorinox boning knife but for skins no bueno. The bretheren mentioned Kiwi's many years ago and they have been great. I figured I would see if anybody had any other idears out there, as always the Bretheren do not disappoint!

Thanks again,
JT

Old 01-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #10
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

9 or 10 years ago I took a competition cooking class and although I didn't enter a sanctioned KCBS comp for 10 years, scraping skin became part of my weekly backyard prep for thighs. Bite through is one thing, but the calorie reduction is very important. Removing skin fat can cut out 250 or so calories.

I started with a fillet knife, went to a bull nose chef's knife, moved to a triangle paint scraper (which I re-profiled on all three sides), to a taxidermists fleshing spoon and have now gone full circle returning to the fillet knife.

I put a 15° angle on the fillet blade and get it scary sharp. It takes me maybe 90 seconds for fat removal. Here is a VIDEO one of the team took. It was nighttime so the white balance is off, but it shows the general ideal.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #11
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

You made quick work of that fat in your video! Good job Thirdeye, thanks for the pics as well. I'm doing a test tonight with my uncooked chicken from this past weekends comp. I'm going to make sure to season it this time!

Old 01-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #12
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
You made quick work of that fat in your video! Good job Thirdeye, thanks for the pics as well. I'm doing a test tonight with my uncooked chicken from this past weekends comp. I'm going to make sure to season it this time!
I struggle with uniform size, even when cooking 15 or 16 to choose from. 1st comp appearance scores were 8, 8, 7, 9, 9, 9 and one of my comp BBQ mentors suggested moving from a standard arrangement to a non-standard arrangement so the lack of uniformity wasn't so obvious. I think he snipped this photo from the CBJ FB page, so we might try something like this next time.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-28-2020, 07:28 PM   #13
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Uniform size is always a struggle. I buy two packs of thighs and weigh each piece. Anything under 7oz or over 8oz gets put aside for home testing. I usually have 10-12 pieces after that to work with. I use 9x13 pans which fit 6 just perfect and keeps shape. Chicken is such a PIA! lol Killer box, thanks for the idea.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #14
thirdeye

My after-trim weight was 4 to 4.2 ounces.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:07 PM   #15
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Leave the fat on the skin, It's flavor.