MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #271
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
Whatcha think? Little rain comining in lol

Wouldn't work here. Our rain comes in sideways.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #272
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
Wouldn't work here. Our rain comes in sideways.
This is why when I had an addition and a backyard patio built onto the back of the house, I made sure there was a good 9' of cover over the patio, don't care how hard it rains unless it's a Hurricane.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #273
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Any love for Grilla Grills, here? Considering getting a Silverbac for weekend cooks when I don't feel like babysitting the Offset.

I love this forum, but not impressed with the search function so far.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #274
dj-ia
Got Wood.

I have owned a SilverBac which I gave to my son, and now have their flagship Grilla. Awesome cookers a coworker also now owns a SilverBac and he says it’s everything that I had described. Excellent smoke output I personally think the Grilla puts more smoke on the food than the SilverBac but that could just be in my head since I’ve never done a side by side comparison.
dj-ia is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #275
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Good to know. The only thing pushing me toward the Silverbac is extra space, but I may reconsider. Thanks for the input.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #276
dj-ia
Got Wood.

You won’t be disappointed either way. They also have outstanding customer service. I had a crazy question on a Sunday and had an email back within 10 minutes
dj-ia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #277
Dr. Weld
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Dr. Weld

Good day all!!!

I was reading through this thread, and I'm looking to get my first pellet smoker. I just got my first stick burner and I do like it, but I can't devote hours upon hours to smoke a brisket or pulled pork, hence why I'm here in this thread.

Since I just bought a new 6 burner gas grill, I just need the smoker to smoker. I would like it to embed( I've been reading some pellet smokers don't smoke well.) a nice smoke flavor into the meats. I would also like it to have a decent cooking area( Handle a 12lb brisket,6 racks of ribs, etc. not at once though.) and Wifi too. Last, I would like to keep the price around or under $1,000.00 ( I know this may be hard), so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I've been searching, but I figured I would ask you men and women what your thoughts were.
Dr. Weld is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #278
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

For the price this thing looks pretty awesome IMO. Biggest complaint I saw was keeping the glass clean. Not sure I'd even try to do that.

Pit Boss Copperhead 7 Vertical Pellet Smoker

https://pitboss-grills.com/products/...rhead-7-series
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #279
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Weld View Post
Good day all!!!

I was reading through this thread, and I'm looking to get my first pellet smoker. I just got my first stick burner and I do like it, but I can't devote hours upon hours to smoke a brisket or pulled pork, hence why I'm here in this thread.

Since I just bought a new 6 burner gas grill, I just need the smoker to smoker. I would like it to embed( I've been reading some pellet smokers don't smoke well.) a nice smoke flavor into the meats. I would also like it to have a decent cooking area( Handle a 12lb brisket,6 racks of ribs, etc. not at once though.) and Wifi too. Last, I would like to keep the price around or under $1,000.00 ( I know this may be hard), so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I've been searching, but I figured I would ask you men and women what your thoughts were.
Under 1K with wifi, look at the Rec Tec Stampede. If you up your price point, the Rec Tec Bull would be worth a look and the Blaz'n Grill Works Grand Slam although with the Baz'n wifi is an upgrade and you would have to factor in shipping as well.
WGA

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #280
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
Biggest complaint I saw was keeping the glass clean. Not sure I'd even try to do that.
I am confused as to why the first person who decided to put a window on a smoker, thought it was a good idea, considering that smoke and grease are going to be flying around inside? I guess that seeing the food can help a little, but still...

Old 06-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #281
Dr. Weld
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
I am confused as to why the first person who decided to put a window on a smoker, thought it was a good idea, considering that smoke and grease are going to be flying around inside? I guess that seeing the food can help a little, but still...
I don't understand that either, but each their own. I guess they didn't like the motto " IF you're looking, you aint cooking!". lol

Old 06-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #282
Dr. Weld
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Under 1K with wifi, look at the Rec Tec Stampede. If you up your price point, the Rec Tec Bull would be worth a look and the Blaz'n Grill Works Grand Slam although with the Baz'n wifi is an upgrade and you would have to factor in shipping as well.
Thanks for the suggestion. Man, not feeling the horns, I would be cutting them. lol It has great reviews though.

I'm going to check out the other ones you suggested.

I guess it doesn't have to have wifi, I can always buy a thermometer with it. My price was 1k for unit, not including shipping. I left that out.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #283
KevinJ

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Man, not feeling the horns, I would be cutting them. lol It has great reviews though.

I'm going to check out the other ones you suggested.

I guess it doesn't have to have wifi, I can always buy a thermometer with it. My price was 1k for unit, not including shipping. I left that out.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.
Not a fan of the horns either.
WGA

Old 06-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #284
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Good day all!!!

I know you are going to hate this answer, but man if you could swing the extra cash and get the MAK 1 Star general. Big Poppa Smokers runs sales on the grill time to time. I would take that $1000, put it in the bank and save up for the MAK. I will tell you why>>>

I cannot speak for the Rec Tec, but I have been using a Camp Chef Woodwind for a year now and I thought I was cooking good, however after I bought the MAK 2 Star General, I found out that I was not cooking good food. I made my first ribs last weekend on the MAK and I did it on a whim and when I say this, I mean it. My wife came to me and said those are the best ribs you made yet! Now I feel like I made some great Ribs in the past on the Pellet, but this time it was different. I had more control, more smokey flavor and damn if they did not taste like they came from a BBQ smoke house.

The cheaper pellet grills do not hold the temps well. I mean they are so up and down, I mean after I bought my Maverick thermo, I had found that my Camp Chef Woodwind was having temp swings of 30>40 and 60 degrees!!! Mostly it was over cooking, but it did undercook also. Alarms were going off left and right.

Now some guys on you tube videos say, just set it and forget it, the temps will just work out in the end and that is BS your stuff will over cook. I have over cooked my Q quite a few times. I mean you really have to learn the grill and learn to set the grill temps lower. I know if I want 225 on the CC, I need to set it at 200 and so on. It is just amazing at the temperature control on the MAK with the Pellet Boss. I mean you set 225 and it cooks at 225 and man does it lay down the smoke. Light years better than the Camp Chef.

It would be great if more guys would do some more reviews of their grills in this thread to get some more info on different grills. I mean it is kind of a goal to find the best budget grill that puts out good smoke.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:02 PM   #285
Dr. Weld
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
I know you are going to hate this answer, but man if you could swing the extra cash and get the MAK 1 Star general. Big Poppa Smokers runs sales on the grill time to time. I would take that $1000, put it in the bank and save up for the MAK. I will tell you why>>>

I cannot speak for the Rec Tec, but I have been using a Camp Chef Woodwind for a year now and I thought I was cooking good, however after I bought the MAK 2 Star General, I found out that I was not cooking good food. I made my first ribs last weekend on the MAK and I did it on a whim and when I say this, I mean it. My wife came to me and said those are the best ribs you made yet! Now I feel like I made some great Ribs in the past on the Pellet, but this time it was different. I had more control, more smokey flavor and damn if they did not taste like they came from a BBQ smoke house.

The cheaper pellet grills do not hold the temps well. I mean they are so up and down, I mean after I bought my Maverick thermo, I had found that my Camp Chef Woodwind was having temp swings of 30>40 and 60 degrees!!! Mostly it was over cooking, but it did undercook also. Alarms were going off left and right.

Now some guys on you tube videos say, just set it and forget it, the temps will just work out in the end and that is BS your stuff will over cook. I have over cooked my Q quite a few times. I mean you really have to learn the grill and learn to set the grill temps lower. I know if I want 225 on the CC, I need to set it at 200 and so on. It is just amazing at the temperature control on the MAK with the Pellet Boss. I mean you set 225 and it cooks at 225 and man does it lay down the smoke. Light years better than the Camp Chef.

It would be great if more guys would do some more reviews of their grills in this thread to get some more info on different grills. I mean it is kind of a goal to find the best budget grill that puts out good smoke.
Thanks for the reply!

I was looking at the mak smokers, I just wasn’t sure I wanted to spend that on a smoker yet. I did just get into smoking. Lol I do like the smell and taste of the stick burner Q though. If the mak replicates that, I may just look into getting one. I know with pellet smokers, getting the smoke flavor could be tough. That’s why I was asking what everyone in this thread thought..

Decisions decisions. Hmm