Is this worth a 2hr drive or a Weber Performer?

CORNDAWG

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I seen a weber performer on CL today for $40. I never used one or really know what they are worth. It looks in great shape, only a year old. Thing is, it's a 2 hr drive one way. I keep reading people here talking about them. Worth the drive????

Well new I think they go for $300. Seems like 40 is a pretty good deal if its in nice shape. Guess if it is worth it depends on what you think your time is worth. 4 hrs round trip is a bit of a trek, but if I didn't have a kettle already I would be tempted...

Also depends on what you are driving to go pick it up. If you are driving something that gets ~10 MPG, is the $100 in fuel plus your time worth it?

Well, that's about 140 miles (@ 70/hr) one way? Say you get 18 mpg in your truck so add an additional 45~50 dollars for fuel?

Whoops. Beat by Peeps with an even more conservative estimate...

The adventure adds value in my opinion. I love going off and buying stuff and meeting new people.

With all of the above said, I don't think it is a great deal with the drive included.

BUT, if you can find other reasons for making a trek like that, go to the zoo, other shopping, etc., it could be worth while.

Hell yes! Especially if it's a year old and in good shape. Even if you get 8MPG :mrgreen:

+1 on what Warhawk said.

My experience...if I want something I get it before it's gone...if I hem-n-haw it is usually gone...my biggest lesson is never regret the decision.

If you're poor like me then you have more time then money. Go get that sucker and enjoy your savings, you want regret it. Hell, who knows what you might find or see on the way!!

I would if I was on the look out for one.

Then again I drove round trip from Pa to N.H. (22 hours) for my first ceramic grill. Brand new Grill Dome for $200.

I think he's on his way.:biggrin1: That wont last long for sure.

This it?

http://nmi.craigslist.org/for/4102864257.html

Go for it. It can be an adventure...check out CL and maybe there is something else you can buy along the way or someplace to visit.

I've driven 4 hours 1-way for BBQ stuff! :crazy:

If that's the one, why the heck didn't you call already!

I fished my first one out of someone's trash. After I used it a few years the legs started falling off from rust(the house I trash picked it from was right on the ocean and it was pretty shot when I got it). The day the legs fell off we immediately went out and bought a brand new one for list price and use it all the time. A performer is worth every penny even for list price!!

Chris

i have Buddy and an 18.5 WSM. between the two, i can cook more food than we could eat before it spoiled. the only other grill i'd fork over money for is a good gas assist performer for a great price. just because of the easy start, larger grill area and work table.

I have 8 cookers including a Kettle. Six of these have full retail prices more than the Kettle. The one cooker I would not be without is that Kettle....they really are wonderful things. Seeing as a new Performer up here in Canada costs $400 I would have already driven the 2 hours to get a $40 used one. I say git on it if it is still there.

Back