Keeping Ribs Warm

fweck

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My wife is in a Wine Club (just an excuse to party with the girls :rolleyes:) and every December is the couples event. This years theme is pairing with unconventional foods. I have been delegated :-D to provide BBQ ribs (I am doing spares) and unstuffed fattys. This is the first time I have transported my BBQ to somewhere else, and the first time that I have served them to anyone besides family. I have a 35 minute drive to where the wine tasting is at, and a 1/2 hour to 1 hour wait before they are served. I am looking for suggestions to keep them safe until they are served. Have plenty of coolers, what do I add to keep them warm?
Help me out Brethren, the family loves them, I want to please the friends!!

A pre-warmed cooler with warmed blankets/towels will be more than sufficient for your two hour window... from smoker to plate... just wrap, store, and transport.

ive kept em warm for four hours with just towels and and a cooler, other i know throw a hand warmer or two in just to help keep the heat up

we wrap put in cooler and when you to the gig you put the in a chafin tray with water under and sterno keep pibs or chicken or fattys nice and warm

Wrap em in foil and wire tie it to your engine block

:lol: :lol:
A pre-warmed cooler with warmed blankets/towels will be more than sufficient for your two hour window... from smoker to plate... just wrap, store, and transport.

Just realize, the texture will be mushy.

Why not cook ahead and warm up there?

Well when I did a cook for a large crowd this last summer, it was the first time I used the wrapped in foil, put in the cooler, and cover with towels. I was good for hours. I had quite a bit of Que in it, and I don't know if the more mass you have the longer the heat will last....But it worked real well.:grin:

firecrackerjack

:lol: :lol:

Just realize, the texture will be mushy.

Why not cook ahead and warm up there?

So in your experience by doing the cooler thingy usually results in mushy
Que? I've only tried it once and the briskets did seem a little over done?:confused:

firecrackerjack

Your keeping the meat in the 175 -200 range for an extended period of time. It's gonna soften the bark and keep breaking down the meat.

Works great for butts but not so much for ribs, if you like a lil bark that is. :biggrin:

Common people will love overdone fall off the bone mushy ribs, so go for it!

Wrap em in foil and wire tie it to your engine block
After the burgers I saw you eat tonight I am going with you :twisted:
But I was thinking the same thing, I will be serving people who's BBQ experiance is boiled ribs, so the more "falling off the bone" I provide the happier they will be, except there will be a couple of real BBQ guys there that I expect won't be in the same place.

I love this place, get a crap load of answers to a serious question, and the brethren deliver. (farkin spelling, I know that's wrong) :lol:

I want to go with the real BBQ experiance with a pink smoke ring, where you have to pull (lightly :-D) the meat from the bone.
Thanks Brethren!!!
Any other suggestions would be great (it will probably be 15 degrees out while I am smoking and transporting) Smoking I have done lower, it's the transporting and serving I don't want to Fark up:wink:

My ribs are in my ECB as we speak (2pm, my time). They have about another hour to go (3pm), but my lady and I won't be eating them until about 6pm (about 3 hours after they finish smoking). If I wrap them in foil for 3 hours are they going to be all mushy? What do you good people recommend?

My ribs are in my ECB as we speak (2pm, my time). They have about another hour to go (3pm), but my lady and I won't be eating them until about 6pm (about 3 hours after they finish smoking). If I wrap them in foil for 3 hours are they going to be all mushy? What do you good people recommend?

If they are at the tenderness you want when you pull them off the smoker, glaze them and let them sit until cool, put them in the fridge and reheat on the grill as you glaze them with sauce or slice them into individual ribs/bones and microwave them one or two at a time just until they begin to pop and splatter which is about 35 to 45 seconds. They will be delicious.

You can also steam them with good results too.

Last edited:
If they are at the tenderness you want when you pull them off the smoker, remove them from the smoker, glaze them and let them sit until cool, put them in the fridge and reheat on the grill as you glaze them with sauce or slice them into individual ribs/bones and microwave them one or two at a time just until they begin to pop and splatter which is about 35 to 45 seconds. They will be delicious.

You can also steam them with good results too.

Thank you, my friend! I will do as you instruct, and upload some pics later!

Back