MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #16
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Crock Pot is the way to go!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Crock Pot is the way to go!
Oh boy here we go

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #18
funugy
Take a breath!

I'm one of them that's gotta uds and IQ110, so I generally don't need to use the oven. But on a couple occasions i have had to finish in the oven due to fuel running out due to using more fuel because of the outside temps and wind.

Go for it.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nothing wrong with it at ALL.The end result will be the same,IF you are a foiler.Some want the whole cook,uncrutcherized,to be done on cooker of choice.Separates the...........
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlazy View Post
Oh boy here we go
Well, OK, I'll admit if you're one of those crazy "Hot and Fast" weirdo's, then the oven is pretty good. But for good old fashioned low and slow, nothing, and I mean NOTHING can beat the crock pot.

BUT...

The SMART Hot and Fast folks use a Pressure Cooker instead of an amateurish (at best) oven...and let's face it...a Pressure Cooker is really just a Hot & Fast Crock Pot if you think about it.

So...Crock Pot wins every time when you boil it all down, really. The oven is best suited for cookies, boxes of cake mix and frozen pizza.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #21
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Well, OK, I'll admit if you're one of those crazy "Hot and Fast" weirdo's, then the oven is pretty good. But for good old fashioned low and slow, nothing, and I mean NOTHING can beat the crock pot.

BUT...

The SMART Hot and Fast folks use a Pressure Cooker instead of an amateurish (at best) oven...and let's face it...a Pressure Cooker is really just a Hot & Fast Crock Pot if you think about it.

So...Crock Pot wins every time when you boil it all down, really. The oven is best suited for cookies, boxes of cake mix and frozen pizza.
LOL you are not going to drag my into a argument/informative thread
I love braciole. as far as I'm concerned if it taste's good I don't care

Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #22
JazzyBadger

In the winter on the few things I end up wrapping, I will gladly throw it into the oven. The other 11 months out of the year I typically just keep it out in the smoker because I don't want to heat up the house for 2-3 hours. Baking bread irks me those eleven months enough as it is.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #23
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Beats the chit out of watching the oven without a beer in your hand.
That ... Plus why waste electricity when you already got an outside " oven " going ...Its how ya finish the cook Man !1 Beer in hand by your bbq Rig.
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #24
daveinwestmont
On the road to being a farker

Default Do it

I would do this all the time. I would use the UDS and IQUE110 to smoke for six hours for my pork shoulders - 6 pm to midnight then wrap and throw in the oven at 200 and by 7am it was done and perfect. Let it rest and shred it for sandwiches. And you get a good nights rest!!!
It's easy and you use less fuel in the UDS. Natural Gas is cheap these days.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #25
caseydog

Quote:

BUT...

So, you gave up the Woodpile, and decided to whack-a-doodle Q-Talk.

Back to the OP, after the first few hours of smoke, there is no real reason to not move the meat to an oven, other than feeling all cavemen and drinking beer. There is just something primal about cooking meat over fire. It may taste the same to everyone else, but if you are the person who cooked the meat over a fire for hours, it tastes way better than meat cooked any other way.

That, and I can't see myself sitting in a lawn chair in my kitchen, drinking beer next to the oven.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #26
bigabyte

There was nothing wackadodle about my post. I don't know why we're talking about ovens when finishing in a crock pot would be better.

That's not to say I haven't finished one in the oven before. I have. But...I would finish one inside the same way I would start one inside...in the Crock Pot!

I don't know why you all can't see how serious this really is. I wasn't joking around one bit.

Crock Pot > Oven

Duh.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #27
Tony A
Full Fledged Farker

Ain't no shame in the oven game lol as said above just make sure it goes into the oven only after you are sure it will not absorb any more smoke flavor

Old 03-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #28
bigabyte

Here's the proof for all you non-believers, or those just ignoring sage advice for some silly reason.

Google "BBQ Crock Pot" and you find actual products...because Crock Pots are a suitable BBQ environment with their moist heat...

Google "BBQ Oven" and you don't see any products, just crap about people making outdoor kitchens and such garbage. This is because a "dry heat" oven is not on the same playing field as a smoker.

End of story. Pretend otherwise if you insist.

But it's a shame that a site full of "supposed" bbq experts are recommending ovens without mentioning crock pots instead. It's a shame. You may laugh and think it's silly...until you think about it.

You should all be ashamed.

Duh.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #29
Hoss

Sounds like a CROCK TO ME! Just funnin!!!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #30
Tony A
Full Fledged Farker

Actually never thought of a crock pot next time I get rained on I'm going to try this crock pot for myself moist heat definitely makes more sense than the dryer oven heat