Redheart's Tagliatelle con Affumicati Maiale Tagliato a Pezzii in Al(PH)redo y Carbenaro Salse

Redheart

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
As you might guess by the title, Phubar's Tagliatelle w/ Pulled Pork really tripped my taste buds yesterday, so today I decided I would make a little version of my own.

For those of you that don't know, tagliatelle is a northern Italian term for fettuccine. So it is not used much here in the US, because Neapolitan Italian became the predominant usage here in the States. The sauce that Phu made was a Carbenaro. Basically cream, butter and egg mixed with sauteed ham and onions etc. then tossed with pasta.
I took it upon myself to adapt and adopt a little of this and a little of that to make my own dinner, I call it Tagliatelle con Affumicati Maiale Tagliato a Pezzi in Al(PH)redo y Carbenaro Salse, (Fettuccine with Smoked Pork Cut into pieces in Psuedo-Al(PH)redo and Carbenaro Sauces)

I wanted to make a 'true' Alfredo based sauce. So I started with double cream butter. I had hoped to use triple cream butter, however since I made my own butter I only accomplished double cream. I took a half pint of heavy cream and placed it in a Mason jar and started shaking it up. After about 20 minutes the cream held a peak so I placed it in a strainer and let it rest for several hours. I wanted as much whey as possible to separate from the fats.

DSCF1001-1.jpg

I then took another half pint of cream in the Mason jar and mixed it with what remained in the strainer and began to shake again until I had butter.

DSCF1002-1.jpg

I had about 8 ounces of butter and 8 ounces of fresh buttermilk. So about 25% less fat than triple cream but definitely enough for double cream.

I set a pot of water on the stove to bring to a boil.

I dusted the butter with a pinch of nutmeg and then blended in about 8 oz of freshly grated Pecorino Romano with a spoon.

DSCF1005.jpg

I blended the mixture till the cheese was creamed into the butter. If you do it long enough the hard sheep cheese will almost melt in the soft butter. You will know when it happens.

DSCF1008-1.jpg

I dropped the pasta into the boiling water at this point.

Now for the meat portion of the meal. I started with the following, which I prepped earlier:

DSCF1004.jpg

While I was whipping the cheese and butter into submission I started to saute the garlic and red onions in a little bacon fat. Then added the peppers when the onions were translucent and after the peppers got very aromatic I tossed in about 2 oz. of chipped prosciutto.

DSCF1006-1.jpg

When the prosciutto was just about to crisp up I added the pulled pork tossed, covered the pot and set it to simmer.

DSCF1009-1.jpg

I drained the pasta and tossed it with the Butter/Romano mixture. At this I had a true Alfredo sauce. If you have never tried this, I truly recommend it. It is actually much richer than anything made with cream since butter is the rich fat from the cream.

I then tossed the meat mixture in with the pasta.

DSCF1011-1.jpg

I also made a salad from mixed greens, pickled cherry peppers, pignola, homemade dried blueberries and a homemade dressing made from Baconnaisse thinned with a little spicy olive juice.

DSCF1015-1.jpg

I gained five pounds by the end of the meal. Man was it good! I will definitely do it again, with one little change. I will toss in the meat before I toss the pasta in the Alfredo.

Thanks again Phubar phor the insperation.

Now to think about the Hot and Fast Throw Down. I am thinking a little rouladen.

dang... Looks fantastic Redheart!:cool:

:biggrin:

Yep...it's Carbonara allright!
Dang you Red!!!:twisted:
Outstanding Pron and great story!

CG ... I know you got 100lbs on me but not bad for a 200lb hairy bearded mountain man like me.

Phu ... why are you danging me? You're the inspiration. I wouldn't have gone there without you.

Larry ... just don't look at the pictures. I gave a play by play so you too could make this at home.

I'll take that "Dang you Red!!!" back!:oops:
It was my pleasure Red!:-D

^^^^^^^^^
I know I have been dam*ed before, but today is a first.
I have been danged and undanged in a matter of minutes.

^^^^^^^^^
I know I have been dam*ed before, but today is a first.
I have been danged and undanged in a matter of minutes.

Did it hurt?

The dinner looks great! I've never made my own butter. Thanks for the pictures.

Did it hurt?.

It only hurts for a moment. Did you ever see '40 Year Old Virgin'? Remember the body waxing scene? Well that's kinda what it was like. You may only hurt for a brief period of time but you are emotionally scarred for life!

Sorry man,didn't mean it!:lol:
It was my jealousy speaking....

I feel my arteries hardening as I type, but, in a good way. Nice job.

I came because of the thread title - leaving amazed. Great job!!!

Greendriver ... Thanks Chet. Not much of a cook really since I am still using leftovers from Dalton.

Chambersuac ...
I came because of the thread title - leaving amazed. Great job!!!
Parla' italiano?

for some reason when i saw"tagliatelle" i thought tailgate....I need to make home made butter.

Back