MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
LowSlowBo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Brined Bird was dry, what gives??

So I've just started my adventures in BBQing and decided to smoke an 18lb bird for the family. It came out more dry than I was hoping for especially stacked up against a fried turkey which was also present at the table. I'm just trying to figure out what I could have done differently?

I brined it for 24 hours in a 1:1 kosher salt/sugar ratio then smothered it in butter, oil and herbs as well as stuffed it with onions, oranges, and lemons.

I cooked it between 315-350 for 4 hours with a drip pan and a water pan. 1.5 hours in I had the color I was looking for so I wrapped it very loosely in foil. After another 1.5 hours I unwrapped the turkey and added 5 big tbsp of butter rewrapped and put it back until temps were hit. It then went in a preheated cooler for 30 mins.

The end result was good, great flavor with the salt, pepper, herbs and some citrus showing through, I was just disappointed in how dry it was. Does anyone see anything I could have done differenntly?
LowSlowBo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
T&S BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

What was the internal temp, did you take off at 170 in the breast. We smoke one every year for thanksgiving in a cheap, old brinkman and always turns out juicy. Same brine,1-1 salt, brown sugar then rinse, pat dry, rub with brown sugar and put on smoker.
T&S BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

The internal temp is important info. You should cook it until it is 155 in the breast and at least 165 in the thigh and then let it rest before carving.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
aawa
Babbling Farker

Sounds to me that you overcooked your turkey.

What internal temperatures are you taking the breast and thighs too?

Also from what you are saying you basically took it off the smoker, added butter, then wrapped and put it into the cooler. You didn't vent your bird, so it held onto the heat in the foil and kept cooking while in the cooler. If you are waiting 30mins to carve it up, don't worry about the cooler. Just keep it on the counter, with a loose tent of foil. This will allow the heat to escape and keep your bird from carrying over cooking too far.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
N8man
Babbling Farker

I agree with my bbq colleagues above....overcooked bird

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
LowSlowBo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'll view it as a loss but a learning experience, you all are right in that I must have overcooked it. I covered it in butter and wrapped it in foil when the breast temp was at 145, I pulled it at 165 and wrapped it too tight not fully understanding that resting poultry only requires a tent.

It's a bummer when your showing off your new Egg and introducing everyone to it and the concept of smoking only to share subpar results but I'll learn from it and fire her up again .
LowSlowBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
EMTTLC
On the road to being a farker

A couple of things here. #1, get you a good thermometer, preferably a thermopen. The guess on how long it will take is only good for planning an eating time. Cook by temp. I like 165 in the breast. I'm betting yours was in the 175-180 range based on the timeline you presented. This year mine was 16 lbs. It cooked in 2 hours 25 minutes and was juicy. Second, I don't see anything about injecting in the post. Simple butter is my choice, it adds flavor and moisture to the bird.
EMTTLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSlowBo View Post
I'll view it as a loss but a learning experience, you all are right in that I must have overcooked it. I covered it in butter and wrapped it in foil when the breast temp was at 145, I pulled it at 165 and wrapped it too tight not fully understanding that resting poultry only requires a tent.

It's a bummer when your showing off your new Egg and introducing everyone to it and the concept of smoking only to share subpar results but I'll learn from it and fire her up again .
The thing with having dinner with family and friends is that the food is just a distraction. It is truely about the times you share with them that matter.

Just keep practicing and you will be able to put out some dericious birds whenever you want. The nice thing is that chickens cook the same as turkeys and chickens are cheap! Practice throughout the year so you know how the bird will act and next year, really wow them!

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
N8man
Babbling Farker

....and I'd increase the time in the brine to 48 hours....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
The thing with having dinner with family and friends is that the food is just a distraction. It is truely about the times you share with them that matter.

Just keep practicing and you will be able to put out some dericious birds whenever you want. The nice thing is that chickens cook the same as turkeys and chickens are cheap! Practice throughout the year so you know how the bird will act and next year, really wow them!
I couldn't agree more. thats all I want is to be with my family, Time is short and i spent so much of it working, I missed life, I've got a lot to make up for and a short time to do it.

as for the bird, my opinion, over cooked, pull at a lower temp, let it rest longer.
Like aawa said, practice, practice, practice, I eat what I cook good or bad.
Thats the learning curve.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

My advice is look around the forum and get a good brine there are a lot of good people in here . And watch you temp a little closer . JUST SAYING .
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Having been force fed Sahara turkey at every holiday from the time I was in short pants till I was old enough to run away & join the Cowboy Turtle association I can tell ya it is over cooked, to hot & to long buzzards need 325. One of the few times I use an accurate thermo is on buzzards, I pull 'em and tent 'ea at 175 in the thigh for whole birds.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Our Turkey also came out dry, we used the same recipe we have used for years, it temped out perfectly at 160 in the breast with a thermo-pen, I figured it was just the bird.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
North Is Up
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Arnie

Maybe not enough salt to water ratio for the brine? I had an 18 pounder, too. Used about 1 and 1/2 cups of salt to 1 cup of sugar. In my 4.5 gallon "measuring cup" (yep-it is big & has 1/2 gallon marks) it came up to just over 4 gallons to cover everything.
Pit Boss Series-5 Copperhead
Miss Silvia and Rocky
Life quote from Jersey Shore: "I know I'm not the smartest crayon in the box, but this isn't rocket scientist! :blah:
North Is Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

for future reference, I wouldn't try cooking something for the first time for company. do at least 1 test run ahead of time so you can make the mistakes then, and learn for the next time when you're entertaining.